Pre-Game Talk: Senators VS Sabres (...and the lehner) Sept.23 TSN5 7pm

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Please leave the bedroom fantasies out of the game day chat.

To quote Archer... "Phrasing!"

52283121.jpg

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
The Sabres season imo is hinging on Lehner. Hoping they do well.

To me, they look to have a pretty average roster with lots of room for growth. If Lehner hits his stride, they could challenge for a wild card spot. If he struggles, they probably are still better than last year. Should be a fun team to follow.

The Sabres is without any question an up and coming team, they look very interesting offensively together with some grit and heart (RoR, E Kane) but a bit weak/questionable defensively. They also have an underrated Swede in Johan Larsson, I believe/hope he is ready for the next step. Lehner and Larsson probably know each other well, having played together in Swedish Junior national team.

If they want to reach the playoffs already this year the Sabres goalie (hopefully Lehner) will have to have very, very good season, yes. The Sabres have another rather promising Swedish goalie in the system, Linus Ullmark.

Sabres reaching the playoffs this season is not likely. Off course it's extremely challenging for a young goalie to play for the Sabres, perhaps the worst team in the NHL last season... Some people and many "experts" sometimes tend to focus on stats even when the player in question is playing for a loosing team.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The Sabres is without any question an up and coming team, they look very interesting offensively together with some grit and heart (RoR, E Kane) but a bit weak/questionable defensively. They also have an underrated Swede in Johan Larsson, I believe/hope he is ready for the next step. Lehner and Larsson probably know each other well, having played together in Swedish Junior national team.

If they want to reach the playoffs already this year the Sabres goalie (hopefully Lehner) will have to have very, very good season, yes. The Sabres have another rather promising Swedish goalie in the system, Linus Ullmark.

Sabres reaching the playoffs this season is not likely. Off course it's extremely challenging for a young goalie to play for the Sabres, perhaps the worst team in the NHL last season... Some people and many "experts" sometimes tend to focus on stats even when the player in question is playing for a loosing team.

I agree with most of your post except for the part about Kane having "heart and grit". I've followed Kane's career closely since he was playing in BC and that Kane was a gritty, tough winger. However, once he got to Atlanta, suddenly he became less about hockey and more about being a hockey celebrity. He started hanging out with the Young Money crew and patterned his own behaviour after that of Floyd Mayweather. That attitude persisted in Winnipeg and since this board has a rule on libel, I'm going to avoid telling stories of what a POS he was there. But let's just say Buff dumping his stuff in the shower was well-deserved.

I just don't see him fitting in in Buffalo. He's all about his "brand" and that "brand" can't possibly grow in a blue-collar town like Buffalo. I'll be shocked if he's there past his current contract. That guy has "trade me to LA" all over him.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I agree with most of your post except for the part about Kane having "heart and grit". I've followed Kane's career closely since he was playing in BC and that Kane was a gritty, tough winger. However, once he got to Atlanta, suddenly he became less about hockey and more about being a hockey celebrity. He started hanging out with the Young Money crew and patterned his own behaviour after that of Floyd Mayweather. That attitude persisted in Winnipeg and since this board has a rule on libel, I'm going to avoid telling stories of what a POS he was there. But let's just say Buff dumping his stuff in the shower was well-deserved.

I just don't see him fitting in in Buffalo. He's all about his "brand" and that "brand" can't possibly grow in a blue-collar town like Buffalo. I'll be shocked if he's there past his current contract. That guy has "trade me to LA" all over him.

That incident made me like Buff more.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Says something about how management views Cowen that he's dressing with all the other camp hopefuls and not the guys who are firmly entrenched in their spots.

Not sure if I'm reading too much into the lines, but it's also interesting where Prince, Wideman and Puempel are slotted. Looks like Puempel is ahead of Prince, and Wideman seems to be destined to be the extra D.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not sure if I'm reading too much into the lines, but it's also interesting where Prince, Wideman and Puempel are slotted. Looks like Puempel is ahead of Prince, and Wideman seems to be destined to be the extra D.

They definitely seem to be putting Puempel in a position to succeed. At the same time, Prince is more able to create his own offense so I don't think being on a line with "prove it" guys is that much of a detriment. Puempel needs more help to produce.

It could also be the sens experimenting with Prince and seeing if he's both willing to be flexible with his spot in the lineup and able to produce wherever they slot him in.

I can't believe they're putting Cowen and Kostka together again. That pair was a dumpster fire last game. Give us Cowen-Wideman.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They definitely seem to be putting Puempel in a position to succeed. At the same time, Prince is more able to create his own offense so I don't think being on a line with "prove it" guys is that much of a detriment. Puempel needs more help to produce.

It could also be the sens experimenting with Prince and seeing if he's both willing to be flexible with his spot in the lineup and able to produce wherever they slot him in.

I can't believe they're putting Cowen and Kostka together again. That pair was a dumpster fire last game. Give us Cowen-Wideman.

Maybe it's a wakeup call to Cowen. You're a vet now, so play like one and anchor the pairing. Just to see if he can do it. Not necessarily being a star, but being able to direct his partner on the ice, give directions and communicate, make the decisions in the defensive end, etc.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

Think you're reading too much into the Prince/Puempel thing. Just look at who they are ahead of/behind. Puempel is ahead of Lindberg, Dzingel and Greening (2 prospects + Greening) whereas Prince is behind Chiasson and Lazar (two regulars).

I hope Prince makes the team, gives us another dynamic player as an option.

Ideal lines to me this season are:

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan (1a)
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Stone (1b)
Puempel-Pageau-Prince (3a)
Greening/Chiasson-Lazar- Michalek (3b)

I'd rather have those 4 RW than Chiasson at this point, but we'll see what happens. 4th LW can be Greening as a stop gap or Chiasson if they have to put him somewhere. Ideally, Lindberg would get some time there this season.

First and second lines I think are fairly typical, can switch them around a bit but I think we all agree it's probably those 6. After that i put the 3P line together because Pageau has enough experience at this point to lead a line and Puempel and Prince have been in the AHL for a while/had some NHL time. 4th line has a couple of vets to insulate Lazar developing at centre, and hopefully can pot a few goals here and there. You could switch Michalek with Prince but then you can't do the 3P line, so I dislike that.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Maybe it's a wakeup call to Cowen. You're a vet now, so play like one and anchor the pairing. Just to see if he can do it. Not necessarily being a star, but being able to direct his partner on the ice, give directions and communicate, make the decisions in the defensive end, etc.

Maybe, but he's actually paired with Kostka who is tied with Mullen for oldest guy out there.

I hope it's not the opposite and that they're not trying to stabilize Cowen with Kostka.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I think they are trying to see how Prince does in more of a checking role

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I expect that Montreal and Buffalo to develop a rivalry this season based on Gallagher-Lehner alone.
Yep we all know he is a bit of a hothead ,he has all the talent you want .But if he cant control his temper it will be for naught.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I think they are trying to see how Prince does in more of a checking role
Yep ,i think Puemple is better suited for the 4th line in that role ,and Prince on the 3rd line .They can both switch from time to time and push each other ,but only one will make it :cry:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Although I am not sure he is playing tonight, Eichel is gonna be a phenominal player. So jealous of Buffalo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Lehner is gonna kill us.

Im praying Lehner doesnt reach his potential, cause then unless White becomes top 10 C, we'll have made stupidest trade in our history, essentially trading young budding top 5 goalie in the league(recall i said potential).

Our saving grace is hopefully O'Connor as well.

Oh man he's gonna screw us

Lehner is gonna be our Tuuka Rask.

Oh please....

You guys are forgetting....all of our guys have taken thousands of shots against Lehner over the years. If they haven't figured out how susceptible he is to wraparounds and other weaknesses by now....

And/Or shooting it along the ice in tight he seems to have trouble getting down, makes sense for a 6’5 goalie. To me his biggest weakness is when he gets out of position and starts flopping around when there is offensive pressure, with a young D core in Buffalo this will be problematic.

I hope Lehner does well in Buffalo. I'll never understand why fans get caught up in the whole "we traded him so I hope he does not come back to haunt us" thing. The deal we got a great price for him and the deal made sense at the time. Having said this, I am not a huge Lehner booster so I would be shocked if he ever became more than an average NHL starter at best.
I hope the Sens do a bit better against Buffalo, although it is hard to care too much during preseason. Would love to see another killer game from Chabot if he is playing.

It also allowed the team to sign O’Connor, I don’t think he comes here with Lehner still in the mix. That’s some pretty great asset management by the Sens a first rounder in a great draft and a top goalie prospect for a player that was showing some attitude problems and clearly was not the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad