Pre-Game Talk: Senators VS Sabres (...and the lehner) Sept.23 TSN5 7pm

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011
I'm in Etobicoke and it looks like the game is going to blacked out on TSN5, are Sens games always blacked out here? Or just preseason?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I hope Lehner does well in Buffalo. I'll never understand why fans get caught up in the whole "we traded him so I hope he does not come back to haunt us" thing. The deal we got a great price for him and the deal made sense at the time. Having said this, I am not a huge Lehner booster so I would be shocked if he ever became more than an average NHL starter at best.

I hope the Sens do a bit better against Buffalo, although it is hard to care too much during preseason. Would love to see another killer game from Chabot if he is playing.

BigBush*

Looking forward to seeing Wideman tomorrow, but man that defense group looks rough

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm in Etobicoke and it looks like the game is going to blacked out on TSN5, are Sens games always blacked out here? Or just preseason?

Lol very specific, coulda just said Toronto but no, we don't get to watch it, all da games will be black out for us but if you are with Rogers mobile you get free GCL and all those games watchable including national games.

If not Im sure there are new innovative ways games will be able available this year like the youtube thing that was on pre-season yesterday, btw how the f did that work guys?

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
The Slugs have no Defence and the word ain’t out on Lehnersson yet! :sarcasm:

Ristolanin Bogosian

Gorges Franson

McCabe/Weber Pysyk

I'm sorry but after the signing of Franson Buffalo ices an NHL defense, Ristolanin, Pysyk and McCabe are going to be Studs, Ristolanin is going to be a Star. Bogosian is a solid 2 way defensenan: Gorges is healthy for the first time in years and provides great protection for Franson to score.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I have no idea at all what to expect from Lehner this season. It may be difficult right now both thinking about the concussion and also serious lack of matches/playing since early last winter?

The concussion unfortunately seem to have been a pretty serious one :-( and he looks a little bit overweight? :-(

I am sure the Senators fans will be very, very classy as always and deep inside I'm pretty sure Lehner would have wanted to stay in Ottawa. At least I'm sure that was his plan before his concussion and all the goalkeeping drama last season with Hammonds increadible unlikely amazing Hollywood like breakthrough etc. The game may become an emotional one for him even though he is sounding confident in interviews.

This is a good sign though, Robin is not the shy type, at least not on the ice: :D

"The voice is so loud, Sabres coach Dan Bylsma keeps looking back on the ice and wondering who the heck is yelling."

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/goalie-robin-lehner-to-start-against-senators-jack-eichel-out/

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lehner's issue in my mind was always mental.

Puts way too much pressure on himself and lashes out at everyone when something doesn't go his way.

Personally, I like my goalies a little more even-keeled.

Yes, Patrick Roy and Dominik Hasek were firecrackers, but they were the exceptions rather than the rule IMO.

In the playoffs, you don't want guys melting down because of a bad goal or a bad call.

Anyway, I can't wish him the best, unfortunately, because he's in our division. So I hope he does very poorly against us, anyway. And against opponents in other divisions.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have no idea at all what to expect from Lehner this season. It may be difficult right now both thinking about the concussion and also serious lack of matches/playing since early last winter?

The concussion unfortunately seem to have been a pretty serious one :-( and he looks a little bit overweight? :-(

I am sure the Senators fans will be very, very classy as always and deep inside I'm pretty sure Lehner would have wanted to stay in Ottawa. At least I'm sure that was his plan before his concussion and all the goalkeeping drama last season with Hammonds increadible unlikely amazing Hollywood like breakthrough etc. The game may become an emotional one for him even though he is sounding confident in interviews.

This is a good sign though, Robin is not the shy type, at least not on the ice: :D

"The voice is so loud, Sabres coach Dan Bylsma keeps looking back on the ice and wondering who the heck is yelling."

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/goalie-robin-lehner-to-start-against-senators-jack-eichel-out/

Actually, that clip int he first post, Lehner looks a bit thinner in the face and more toned in the upper body than he was in Ottawa. He's never fit the physical profile of the typical skinny goalie.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Also, I have almost zero faith in Lehner being anywhere even close to as good as Rask is.

When Rask carried that Finland team to the WJC semi-finals, I couldn't believe the Leafs traded him over a Justin Pogge who won a Gold on an incredibly stacked team.

It was one of those WJC performances for the ages.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa
I think, while TM paid a lot, has quickly rebuilt this team. Much faster than I thought he could.

They're definitely going in the right direction. Hope Lehner does well.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

That was my first thought too, that he looked a little chubby in the face at least(which usually means....)

I do hope he can get it together and stay consistent there. He will definitely not want to lose any games against Ottawa especially. Ever

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I would send a forward hard through his crease ,every time we were in the offensive zone .He has talent but no mental game,a couple of snowshowers and a few well placed bumps and he will lose it

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Stone seemed fine during the fanfest scrimmages. I wouldn't worry too much about him not playing these first few games..

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I'm kind of adopting the Sabres as my 2nd team, at least for the next couple of months. Despite hating the Slugs more than anyone but the Leafs during their "Scary Good" Drury-led era.

Wishing good luck to TMurr.
Love the temperamental goalie drama.
I hate Kane, but he'll be an interesting sideshow.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
I hope Lehner does well in Buffalo. I'll never understand why fans get caught up in the whole "we traded him so I hope he does not come back to haunt us" thing. The deal we got a great price for him and the deal made sense at the time. Having said this, I am not a huge Lehner booster so I would be shocked if he ever became more than an average NHL starter at best.

This.

It's tough ... you want to have great depth at goalie in your organization, but only one guy can play at a time. So when you end up having that depth mature and become a viable goalie who wants playing time, you have to make a decision on how to best manage your asset.

Sometimes that means shipping a goalie out who you know has a chance to become a good/great goalie. It is tougher that he was moved to a close division rival like the Sabres, but GM BM ended up getting a pretty solid return compared to the other potential #1's who moved as well (Talbot, Jones, etc.)...

O'Connor looks like he's a great replacement for Lehner (size, potential, mind set) in the organization... so overall, we keep our (when healthy) true proven #1 in Anderson, move out a young up and comer for a 1st rounder, and sign another solid goalie for free... same amount of contracts used up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Sabres season imo is hinging on Lehner. Hoping they do well.

To me, they look to have a pretty average roster with lots of room for growth. If Lehner hits his stride, they could challenge for a wild card spot. If he struggles, they probably are still better than last year. Should be a fun team to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad