Prospect Info: Senators Prospect Talk 2016-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He's every bit of that 6'3" 210, looks huge out there.

Certain posters on here after reading the quoted post.

anna-kendrick-has-the-perfect-response-to-guy-that-made-her-orgasm-for-the-first-time-2-photos-2.gif

Seriously though he seems to have a really big frame and his stride isn't even that awkward. Seems like a player who can be worked with. :yo:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ahl probably won't amount to much since one should be weary of someone with skating issues who is dominating juniors based on his size...

It's way too early to determine whether Ahl will become an NHL player or not. Two of our best players right now have both had skating issues in Smith & Stone & both are doing fairly well now. I'm not sold on this guy but I'm also not about to write him off either especially if he can work on his defensive game, with his size he may be able to fill in up & down the lineup. It's still very early in his development curve.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's way too early to determine whether Ahl will become an NHL player or not. Two of our best players right now have both had skating issues in Smith & Stone & both are doing fairly well now. I'm not sold on this guy but I'm also not about to write him off either especially if he can work on his defensive game, with his size he may be able to fill in up & down the lineup. It's still very early in his development curve.

Define "best players"?? LOL.

I don't think any member of a coaching staff around the league would come into Ottawa and have their coaches say:" OK boys tonight we've got to shut down their best players. For starters if we can shut down Zack Smith for 60 minutes we're in really good shape!!"

Okay... maybe one assistant coach in Calgary would say that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Define "best players"?? LOL.

I don't think any member of a coaching staff around the league would come into Ottawa and have their coaches say:" OK boys tonight we've got to shut down their best players. For starters if we can shut down Zack Smith for 60 minutes we're in really good shape!!"

Okay... maybe one assistant coach in Calgary would say that.

Boucher said earlier this yr he wished he had three Zack Smiths. He is playing better than Ryan, Hoffman & Brassard.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I wish we had three Pageaus. Doesn't make him our best player. Thats comment implying hes a good player for us. Not one of the best.

I think Smith has been good and was extremely good last season but you're getting what you want out of that comment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wish we had three Pageaus. Doesn't make him our best player. Thats comment implying hes a good player for us. Not one of the best.

I think Smith has been good and was extremely good last season but you're getting what you want out of that comment.
I'd take Smith over Ryan any day & Ryan makes $7 mil wasted dollars. I'd also take Smith over Pageau at centre.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I'd take Smith over Ryan any day & Ryan makes $7 mil wasted dollars. I'd also take Smith over Pageau at centre.

Again I guess that depends on how you define "one of our best players". Personally, salary aside, I'd take Ryan over Smith. Same goes for Pageau.

Is Smith one of Ottawa's 10 best players? Maybe. If that's what you mean then fine. When I think of Ottawa's best players I think Karlsson, Stone and Turris first and foremost. Then I think of Brassard, Hoffman, Ryan, Ceci, Phaneuf, Methot and Anderson.

After that group I'd go with Pageau and Smith in a small separate tier.

Boucher saying he'd like 3 Zack Smiths aside I don't think any coaching staff looks at an upcoming game and starts scouting Zack Smith. They do for Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman and Turris. No question.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Christian Jaros has 3g 5a +9 in 16gp in SHL.
That's pretty good.

In other news, neither Zack Smith, nor J-G Pageau are Senators prospects.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Again I guess that depends on how you define "one of our best players". Personally, salary aside, I'd take Ryan over Smith. Same goes for Pageau.

Is Smith one of Ottawa's 10 best players? Maybe. If that's what you mean then fine. When I think of Ottawa's best players I think Karlsson, Stone and Turris first and foremost. Then I think of Brassard, Hoffman, Ryan, Ceci, Phaneuf, Methot and Anderson.

After that group I'd go with Pageau and Smith in a small separate tier.

Boucher saying he'd like 3 Zack Smiths aside I don't think any coaching staff looks at an upcoming game and starts scouting Zack Smith. They do for Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman and Turris. No question.

I believe Boucher said he would like to have 3 Zack Smiths because Smith does a lot of the little things that guys like Ryan & Hoffman don't do especially defensively. Smith is a nasty guy to play against most of the other forwards are pretty easy to play against & don't put up much of a fight. Most people like offensive players & Smith is not considered an offensive player hence why other coaches don't try to defend against him. He takes faceoffs, he plays the PK, can play the PP, is good defensively, will fight, block shots & competes on every shift, he's a very versatile player & IMO more important than the perimeter offensive players we have.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I believe Boucher said he would like to have 3 Zack Smiths because Smith does a lot of the little things that guys like Ryan & Hoffman don't do especially defensively. Smith is a nasty guy to play against most of the other forwards are pretty easy to play against & don't put up much of a fight. Most people like offensive players & Smith is not considered an offensive player hence why other coaches don't try to defend against him. He takes faceoffs, he plays the PK, can play the PP, is good defensively, will fight, block shots & competes on every shift, he's a very versatile player & IMO more important than the perimeter offensive players we have.

This is correct. He's likes Smith because of all the elements he brings. I disagree that hes better or more important that perimeter offensive players.

You need a mix of both. Its good to have a few Smith's but a team thats a majority of Smith's will have trouble scoring goals.

Just like its good to have a couple Pageau's as well. Speedy, hard working defensive players are very valuable. Especially when they can score up to 40 points.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is correct. He's likes Smith because of all the elements he brings. I disagree that hes better or more important that perimeter offensive players.

You need a mix of both. Its good to have a few Smith's but a team thats a majority of Smith's will have trouble scoring goals.

Just like its good to have a couple Pageau's as well. Speedy, hard working defensive players are very valuable. Especially when they can score up to 40 points.

haha ... the whole team are having lots of trouble scoring goals these days especially the offensive players but Smith & Stone at least are starting to score. :nod:

But you're right it's a mix, a good balance of different players, which brings up the point whether this team has a good balance of players? I'm not a fan of players who are one dimensional especially offensive players.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
haha ... the whole team are having lots of trouble scoring goals these days especially the offensive players but Smith & Stone at least are starting to score. :nod:

But you're right it's a mix, a good balance of different players, which brings up the point whether this team has a good balance of players? I'm not a fan of players who are one dimensional especially offensive players.

We haven't had troubles scoring goals since the last time we trapped, 12-13. Its just a struggle phase imo.

I don't mind having one Hoffman style player. He's an offensive weapon that just needs to be used properly. I wouldn't want another one atm.

I think we're too small and weak down the middle. We can't out muscle the opponent behind the net or infront of the net, in both offense and defense. Thats why I want a Dubinsky type player. We're also weak at faceoffs. Brassard is at 50%. Pageau at 57%. Smith at 52%. Turris at 44%. Kelly at 44%. 21st overall.

There should be a high standard for two-way play. If you can't defend, you don't play, unless you have an ability to counter the weakness. With the amount that can't defend being limited to just 1 or 2 players.

Same goes with dmen. You must be able to skate and transition.

I think this team needs an injection of size and effort. Dump Puempel. Call up one of Lazar, Paul, McCormick or Robinson. Eventually another of them once Neil becomes a 13th forward.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
At wichita WIC Gabriel Gagne (2) ASST: Macoy Erkamps (6), Gerrad Grant (1)
Alexis Vanier (2) ASST: Gerrad Grant (2), Gabriel Gagne (2) (PP)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad