Rumor: Senators have given interested teams permission to discuss contract with Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If I was Dorion I'd let the media do the dirty work for me and throw false rumors left and right of teams making crazy offers. A team will crack at some point, Karlsson is too good.

Why would anyone crack? No one has to trade for him but we have to get rid of him.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Why would anyone crack? No one has to trade for him but we have to get rid of him.

I don’t know how much the lack of leverage matters in this case. It’s Erik Karlsson. Leverage should come via offers from other teams who want him.

A skilled GM should be able to get a haul. If the return is bad, it’s a Dorion problem IMO

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I don’t know how much the lack of leverage matters in this case. It’s Erik Karlsson. Leverage should come via offers from other teams who want him.

A skilled GM should be able to get a haul. If the return is bad, it’s a Dorion problem IMO
Yeah, but if everyone in the discussion knows the Sens situation and are unwilling to give their best prospect (which seems to be the case between Glass, Makar, and Heiskanen), then it would take one of them getting desperate. Its more likely they compete with add ons, not by cracking on the most important part to Dorion, it seems

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I don’t follow the prospects as deeply as some of you here. Is Heiskanen really that much better than Shea Theodore that Ottawa might consider not adding Bobby Ryan to the deal to get him?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Curious how this would look to a Ottawa perspective:
If there is an window to sign Karlsson to a extension or trade is cancelled:
For Erik Karlsson:
Montour - only 24, had 9 goals 23 assists in 80 NHL games as a 23 yearold RHD - has strong slap shot & is a very fast skater.
Steel - Ducks top prospect.
Then Ottawa's choice between Josh Mahura or Jakob Larsson:
Mahura - a speedy LHD drafted in 2016 that had 22 goals & 47 assists in 60 games in WHL in 2017-18.
Larsson - LHD in the mold of Hampus Lindholm. Neither player lit up the AHL offensively but Lindholm obviously has had double digit goals in 2 NHL seasons while playing shutdown D.
Between the 2, Larsson is more NHL ready, Mahura needs a year in the AHL but has bigger potential as a offensive LHD.
Also 2 draft picks: 1st in 2019 & 2nd in 2019

If it involves Bobby Ryan they could add Perry, Perry has 3 years left at 8.5mil per year or so but is more productive than Ryan, while Ryan has 4 years remaining.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don’t follow the prospects as deeply as some of you here. Is Heiskanen really that much better than Shea Theodore that Ottawa might consider not adding Bobby Ryan to the deal to get him?

Heiskanen is about as hyped now as Theodore was 2-3 years ago. Maybe a bit more.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If it’s Heiskanen vs. Theodore, I’d lean Theodore since he’s a proven commodity. I thought he was stellar the past two years in pressure situations at the NHL level.

yeah Theo made huge strides this year. His defensive game vs the Kings was a pleasant surprise.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He could be. But no one can really know until he gets to the NHL. Theodore isn't even done developing yet. People will want to make that call with certainty but you can't yet. Either way.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I originally prepared this for the EK to Dallas thread, but it is more appropriate here:

After giving this some thought I actually think that giving teams permission to negotiate with Karlsson is a blunder by Dorion. That does not actually give Ottawa any leverage and in fact it just gives Karlsson all of the leverage.

So right now Karlsson has the ability to wait until UFA and choose the one offer that's best for him. Dorion did Karlsson a huge favor and said he's allowed to do that now and at the same time negotiate that 8th year. I guess he's hoping Karlsson reciprocates by agreeing to a few teams and letting Ottawa choose which he goes to.

Here are the possibilities, ordered ascending by leverage Ottawa has in that scenario:
1. Karlsson signs with one team, takes the best offer as though he was a UFA. That team does not have to outbid anyone for the trade, and only needs to put together a proposal that is better for Ottawa than one year of Karlsson - so one year rental value and no competition for the buyer, a disaster for Ottawa.
2. Karlsson agrees with 2-3 teams, and lets Ottawa choose where he goes. Those 2-3 teams only need to outbid each other, and we are probably talking about contending teams whose most valuable pieces are untouchable pieces of their core. This is like extended Karlsson with a full NMC.
3. Karlsson agrees with a bunch of teams, 5+ and lets Ottawa choose. Same as #2 but this includes the possibility a team with good prospects is included, and Ottawa may be able to negotiate a good return. Essentially, this is Karlsson with a partial NTC
4. Karlsson agrees with everybody and lets Ottawa choose where he goes. 30 teams involved and bidding against each other. This is equivalent to a signed 8 year Karlsson with no NTC. This scenario is a pipe dream.

In summary, I consider scenario #2 to be the most likely, and #1 to be a distinct possibility. Dorion might have had more leverage without giving teams the chance to negotiate with EK, because then he had 30 teams bidding for a 1 year rental with the opportunity to negotiate for that 8 year of the extension. As it is, he's really just banking on Karlsson doing him a favor and giving him several options to negotiate with.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
The best thing the Sens could do is work with Karlsson to execute the best deal possible. No team is going to give up a premium for a rental. Let Karlsson win a team over by saying he wants to commit to them, then have the players work on the GM to get a deal done. Aka Tampa. If Karlsson is telling Hedman he wants to spend the rest of his career there, I'm sure Hedman is passing that along to Yzerman and campaigning for him.

The worst thing Ottawa could do is piss Karlsson off and try to force him into a deal.

Reactions: amethyst

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
If neither Heiskanen, Glass or Makar are available, the best piece Ottawa can get back is their own 1st. Get it done Sakic.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

There's your market for EK: VGK, DAL and TBL.

Only Vegas would take Ryan so I'm assuming that is no longer a prerequisite.

So far it's been leaked that Vegas then Dallas were the frontrunners. TBL is a preferred destination but haven't made a convincing pitch yet.

Seems like a lot of posturing going on to this point but the market is set.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017

There's your market for EK: VGK, DAL and TBL.

Only Vegas would take Ryan so I'm assuming that is no longer a prerequisite.

So far it's been leaked that Vegas then Dallas were the frontrunners. TBL is a preferred destination but haven't made a convincing pitch yet.

Seems like a lot of posturing going on to this point but the market is set.

Sorry Toronto, you can enjoy your offense while Tampa looks to shut it down by building around the D and hopefully land EK. :P

I don't think EK can be convinced to go to the Islanders. Not to sound rude, I just don't see that happening.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Sorry Toronto, you can enjoy your offense while Tampa looks to shut it down by building around the D and hopefully land EK. :P

I don't think EK can be convinced to go to the Islanders. Not to sound rude, I just don't see that happening.
Yzerman is gonna have to make a serious offer before we start thinking aboit this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad