Rumor: Senators have given interested teams permission to discuss contract with Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Uh, don't forget that these teams all have to play a season next year. It's not like Vegas is trying to maintain the insane momentum that they built up last year...or Dallas is trying to make the playoffs while Seguin is still on that ludicrous team-friendly deal...or Tampa is trying to finally win the cup again after years of coming up just short.

Ottawa isn't in the best position but these teams are also desperate to make their teams better in a league that's never been more competitive. They'll pay what they have to pay.

I wouldn't exactly call Vegas and Tampa desperate. Tampa can make minor tweaks and Vegas can be patient enough to wait for their prospects to emerge in 2-3 years.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I was pretty worried about a Dallas deal that's centred on Honka, but the more I look into it the more I'm convinced that Dallas just doesn't have the pieces necessary to make it work. If they're not even including Heisakanen then going the Vegas route is the easiest decision ever.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Uh, don't forget that these teams all have to play a season next year. It's not like Vegas is trying to maintain the insane momentum that they built up last year...or Dallas is trying to make the playoffs while Seguin is still on that ludicrous team-friendly deal...or Tampa is trying to finally win the cup again after years of coming up just short.

Ottawa isn't in the best position but these teams are also desperate to make their teams better in a league that's never been more competitive. They'll pay what they have to pay.
I wouldn't assume these teams are SO desperate. If they don't want to trade the world + pay the world for EK then they can make other moves like Faulk.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
OTT is in the worst position here. They have a 3x team market - so basically these three teams control the value, not OTT. They can ask for the world but if these 3x don't offer it then OTT is either screwed or they hold on to him.

That's true, but it depends on how badly Karlsson wants an expedited resolution to this situation. If the Senators are genuinely willing to hold on to Karlsson throughout the season because of poor offers, it creates a scenario where maybe Karlsson and his people might be more open to expanding their list of teams they'd re-sign with than they would be to staying in Ottawa for another season and putting off getting as much as 100 million in guaranteed money that is protected against an injury or the risk of another season below what has been expected of Karlsson.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
That's true, but it depends on how badly Karlsson wants an expedited resolution to this situation. If the Senators are genuinely willing to hold on to Karlsson throughout the season because of poor offers, it creates a scenario where maybe Karlsson and his people might be more open to expanding their list of teams they'd re-sign with than they would be to staying in Ottawa for another season and putting off getting as much as 100 million in guaranteed money that is protected against an injury or the risk of another season below what has been expected of Karlsson.
That makes no sense for EK. If he makes it into the season he might as well play it out and sign in 6 months in Tampa or wherever he wants. OTTs only leverage is to trade him now. Closer he gets to UFA, the more he'll wait till then.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
One consideration with the Stars, despite making major acquisitions nearly every season, they've missed the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Genuine question to Stars fans and those more familiar with the organization. How desperate might Jim Nill be to save his job? Is there any potential for him to be fired if the Stars miss the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons? If so, there's your leverage for a Karlsson trade right there. Heiskanen, draft picks, whatever, they won't be relevant to Jim Nill if he is no longer GM.

That, and Seguin's pending UFA status could create pressure to make a move like this even if it comes at the expense of a huge chunk of the Stars future.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
No, not really. There is a very real question as to whether a team wants to sign Karlsson at 11+ . Once a team says they will then Dorion will try and extract what he can. If anything it puts more pressure on the team who will sign Karlsson to 90m contract.
So what if karlsson says “I’ve decided the only team I want to resign with right now is team x” ? How would Dorion have any other choice but to trade him to that team ? No one else is gonna offer him as much if he’s not gonna resign .

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
That makes no sense for EK. If he makes it into the season he might as well play it out and sign in 6 months in Tampa or wherever he wants. OTTs only leverage is to trade him now. Closer he gets to UFA, the more he'll wait till then.

You're missing my point.

I agree, Ottawa gets the best package now.

If Erik Karlsson prefers an expedited resolution to this situation and doesn't want the circus of playing through the year in Ottawa, maybe he'd be open to expanding his list if it came down to him either adding a few teams to make a trade possible, or waiting out there year in Ottawa.

There have been reports that Ottawa sees keeping Karlsson going into the season as a viable option. Those reports might be leaks from Ottawa, and they might just be posturing in order to create more leverage for themselves, but they also might be genuine.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
OTT is in the worst position here. They have a 3x team market - so basically these three teams control the value, not OTT. They can ask for the world but if these 3x don't offer it then OTT is either screwed or they hold on to him.
Exactly and this is why Ottawa fans are gonna be disappointed with the return .

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sens, you owe the Leafs a favour. We traded you our great captain for cap dumps. It’s time we get your captain for cap dumps.

Please?

HockeyFan247365

Jan 31, 2018
Is it possible that Erik Karlsson has an offer in place by a team and we're not hearing about it until Ottawa trades him?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So what if karlsson says “I’ve decided the only team I want to resign with right now is team x” ? How would Dorion have any other choice but to trade him to that team ? No one else is gonna offer him as much if he’s not gonna resign .
Actually they could trade him to any other team not on his no trade list right up to the TDL. The team would know he was a rental and pay accordingly.

I'm sure some of the 20 other teams will be playoff contenders and willing to pay a good deal to add EK for a cup run.

And what kind of message would the team willing to spend 90M on EK be sending to Erik if they weren't willing to cough up some assets to make the deal. Wouldn't count on EK signing there after that kind of slap in the face.

Last edited:

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

If this is true then holy hell - Vegas can have him.

I don't understand why Vegas would do this though....they are a second year expansion team. Why give up so much of your foundation?

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

I don't understand why Vegas would do this though....they are a second year expansion team. Why give up so much of your foundation?

Agreed. If real I think they should take this, perhaps unless they could leverage it for Heiskanen.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
From Dallas that equates to Honka, Faksa, Robertson/Dellandrea, '19 1st, '19 2nd but the Stars don't want Ryan

You would have to think +Heiskanen -Ryan and some pieces is the only way Dallas can beat that offer. Of course, that's assuming that even is a legit offer.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Why can't he be a one year rental?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Because they'd be getting arguably the best D in the league for the next 8YRs and came close to winning the cup this year.

No idea if that offer is legit or not, but I think GMGM realizes that his team is likely going to take a major step back this year. Acquiring EK+Ryan may be able to keep them afloat as a contender for the next couple years at least.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

I agree. You're placing a big bet on last year not being a fluke. If that's the price tag I think I would just keep my assets and continue to build up the core of that team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Not trying to be a total nerdo but shouldn’t we start banning posting this Twitter and start removing posts from it since it’s just total garbage and all made up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad