Rumor: Senators have given interested teams permission to discuss contract with Karlsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I get the sense that Tampa and Dallas are the only 2 teams he's made a formal decision to re-sign with, or maybe it's just Tampa. Everyone else is dealing with 1 year of EK.
Based on what, your hopes and dreams?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Senators are such a ****ing joke.

The ONLY comparable to your star defensemen just got $11 million (from a team hes won two cups with i.e has incentive to stay with) and you offer him TEN? What on earth would posses Melnyk to do that.... its like he WANTS Karlsson to leave and for him to completely sewer his franchise for the next decade.

Reminds me of the times Dollar Bill was running the Blackhawks...
How can anyone not view that offer as a "hey guys, look, we tried. He didn't want what we offered him. So we had to move him." type move?

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
If the package starts with Sergachev, it's going to need a lot of other pieces to get it done.
I figured we would do something along the lines of:

- Choice of Sergachev / Foote (top prospect)
- Taylor Raddysh (top 5 prospect) if you choose Sergachev / Yanni Gourde if you choose Foote
- Choice of Johnson / Palat
- 2020 first round pick

It's more than what the Golden Nuggets have offered.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Senators are such a ****ing joke.

The ONLY comparable to your star defensemen just got $11 million (from a team hes won two cups with i.e has incentive to stay with) and you offer him TEN? What on earth would posses Melnyk to do that.... its like he WANTS Karlsson to leave and for him to completely sewer his franchise for the next decade.

Reminds me of the times Dollar Bill was running the Blackhawks...
Melnyk never intended on retaining Karlsson. Him and Dorion promised season ticket holders at a town hall meeting that they will make Karlsson an offer on July 1st to save face (even though they could have done it anytime last month). The offer was never intended to be a serious one. It was just so they could tell fans they tried and EK didn’t want to stay. That’s all it is.

If there was any genuine interest to keep him, this would have been done at the draft. It’s a PR move, nothing more.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I figured we would do something along the lines of:

- Choice of Sergachev / Foote (top prospect)
- Taylor Raddysh (top 5 prospect) if you choose Sergachev / Yanni Gourde if you choose Foote
- Choice of Johnson / Palat
- 2020 first round pick

It's more than what the Golden Nuggets have offered.
I’d do this.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Teams low balling Dorion as expected.

Temper your expectations Sens fans.

This is going to drag on.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I don't see TJ9 waiving for OTT, that needed to happen before sunday
He might. If we keep to our current roster, he's on our third line. He won't see the minutes that he has in the past and has thrived off. Whereas in Ottawa he can probably get back to his game and thrive with all the minutes they would give him. Palat also has a NTC, and I think it's more unlikely he would waive it for Ottawa.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
This is absolutely brutal for Yzerman. New contracts and NMCs are killing him here. If this is true, how rare is it that a generational player wants to be specifically traded and extended on your team??? Wow.

Karlsson >>> McDonagh, I’m still shocked (even as a beneficiary from the trade) that Yzerman didn’t pony up at deadline.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
He might. If we keep to our current roster, he's on our third line. He won't see the minutes that he has in the past and has thrived off. Whereas in Ottawa he can probably get back to his game and thrive with all the minutes they would give him. Palat also has a NTC, and I think it's more unlikely he would waive it for Ottawa.
He'd sit in the pressbox before he'd waive for Ottawa.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How can anyone not view that offer as a "hey guys, look, we tried. He didn't want what we offered him. So we had to move him." type move?

Because his value is clearly more than what they offered. They know that. There is 0 incentive to take less that what Doughty got.

Johnson probably wants to stay with the team thats a top cup contender, not the one thats a top 1st overall contender.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
So frustrating to see as a TB fan. He wants to be here. Make it happen Yzerman. Do what you need to do and do it now.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
EK has to decide if he wants money or a Cup. At least for the one year. i think he should come to Winnipeg for one year in exchange for Trouba. Mel saves $6 million and the fans barely notice the team has changed.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
So frustrating to see as a TB fan. He wants to be here. Make it happen Yzerman. Do what you need to do and do it now.

Yzerman has been an amazing GM over the last 5 years. He is killing it in the draft and making solid trades.

But the one thing he might be worst in the league right now at is dishing out NTC/NMCs..
And that is coming back to haunt him bigtime right now. And rightfully so.

Why on earth did he dish them out like candy to second tier guys like TyJo, Killorn (yikes) and to a lesser extent Palat when your farm is bursting at the seams? That as well as Callahan still having his in place as well is probably killing him right now.

Will never understand that.

Also don't quite get why he got (and extended) McDonagh when Karlsson clearly was the better fit and clearly really, really wanted to end up with the Lightning.

Looks like no one is perfect....

The only way Dallas gets Karlsson without giving up Heiskanen is if Dorion really, really, really screwed up once again by allowing him to talk extension with multiple teams which backfired when EK afterwards told Pierre that he will extend with Tampa, Dallas and no one else. At which point Ottawa is probably completely screwed.

Which given history would not even surprise me that much.

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
Well he has an offer on the table from the team that beat WPG right now. Why wouldn’t that be an option and a chance for the Cup?

Reactions: ChanceVegas

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Well he has an offer on the table from the team that beat WPG right now. Why wouldn’t that be an option and a chance for the Cup?
It's not what he likes, it's what Dorion and Mel like. OK Jets will throw in some picks and a Petan or Dano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad