Recalled/Assigned: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yea, Capfriendly has him same category as Holmberg ... Emergency Loan
Emergency recalls

Under Section 13.12(m) of the CBA, an emergency recall can be used in a situation where the NHL club (due to injury, illness or suspension) don't have two healthy goalies, six healthy defensemen, or 12 healthy forwards.

How do emergency recalls differ from standard recalls, and what are the rules surrounding emergency recalls? Let's break it down.

HOW DO EMERGENCY RECALLS WORK IN THE NHL?

When a team is short players "by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by league suspension to its players," per the CBA, teams recall players by emergency recall. Once the emergency situation has ended, the player must be returned to the team from which he had been recalled, or re-assigned on paper and then recalled via standard recall.

There are benefits to first designating a recall an emergency recall, rather than a standard recall, and we'll get into those below.

WHAT DOES THE NHL CONSIDER AN EMERGENCY SITUATION?

Emergency conditions apply when a team “is reduced below the level of two goalkeepers, six defensemen and 12 forwards,” per the CBA.

A team must be able to provide proof of their emergency situation to the league when requested.

This means that even if a team has enough players to dress, say, seven defenseman and 11 forwards, as teams sometimes do by choice with a healthy roster during the season, it's still considered an emergency situation. If a team doesn't have enough players for four forward lines and three defense pairings, even if they have 18 total healthy skaters otherwise, it's an emergency situation.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF FIRST USING AN EMERGENCY RECALL INSTEAD OF A REGULAR RECALL?

When a player is waivers-eligible and recalled to the NHL by a standard recall, they do not need waivers to go back to the AHL if they play fewer than 10 cumulative games or are on the active roster for fewer than 30 cumulative days.

When a player is on emergency recall, the same 10 games/30 days rules apply, but those games and days counters are separate from the games and days accumulated when a player is on a standard recall. So a player can play nine games on an emergency recall, be assigned on paper back to the AHL, then given a standard recall and play another nine games before he'd need waivers.

Last edited:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
is it SDA SZN? is he finally getting a look?

im just gonna call him Ders

ders-books.gif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Malgin is better 7 days a week than SDA.

Maybe just a reward to practice with the big club. We already have wingers that are healthy scratches.

Noting SDA plays C most often with the Marlies.

Perhaps he's getting a shot over Holmberg for a couple of games?

Reactions: The Iceman

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
You and I could probably take more then 60 seconds to get scored on. Lol

If Malgin or SDA do the same thing as Robertson whe would they Dangle him? Why not dangle one of the other 2 and keep our home grown prospect
They offer value to the leafs by playing those roles. Other teams would value Robertsons value much higher.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Fun ... another Malgin ...

Ht/Wt : 5'10", 160 lbs.
Born : Sep 15, 2000 (22 yrs) in Moscow, RUS
Experience : 0 years
Shoots : R

SCOUTING REPORT
A highly skilled center with tremendous instincts all over the ice, he can dangle the puck with the best of them and create numerous scoring chances for his team. Is also adept at takeaways and playing in all three zones. Since he does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League, he will need to add significantly more bulk and get a lot stronger in order to maximize output at the highest level. Could also stand to shoot the puck more.
Long Range Potential: Talented, diminutive two-way center with good upside.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

SCOUTING REPORT
A highly skilled center with tremendous instincts all over the ice, he can dangle the puck with the best of them and create numerous scoring chances for his team. Is also adept at takeaways and playing in all three zones. Since he does not have ideal size for the National Hockey League, he will need to add significantly more bulk and get a lot stronger in order to maximize output at the highest level. Could also stand to shoot the puck more.

Elite has him at: Elite has him at 5:10, 172lbs.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

SCOUTING REPORT

It's always great, when someone knows nothing about a player, has never seen them play, and then makes assumptions based upon a couple of lines they've read on the internet.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
It's always great, when someone knows nothing about a player, has never seen them play, and then makes assumptions based upon a couple of lines they've read on the internet.
I remember thinking he looked fairly strong on his skates during the pre-season. He's quick too.

Personally I believe this team needs more muscle so he offers much of what we already have. But excited to see what he can do.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I remember thinking he looked fairly strong on his skates during the pre-season. He's quick too.

Personally I believe this team needs more muscle so he offers much of what we already have. But excited to see what he can do.

The team needs multiple things.. including more offense from it's depth. It needs a legitimate 3C. Holmberg hasn't been bad, but so far... not quite good enough for what we need. So, we have another guy in the system, so let's give him a shot at the NHL level and see what is there. There is a high probability he doesn't work out as our 3C, but if we don't try it, we will never know.

I don't disagree that we could use more size... but it's easier to find that size on D, or on the Wings, then finding a legit 3C, with size, who can score...

So, let's see what we have in some guys, so we can best decide what we need to do when it's time.

I'm not the biggest SDA fan, but sometimes guys have chemistry with others, and work well at the NHL level... so I'm not opposed to giving a guy an opportunity to surprise us.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Not reading too much into this as we don't know how long SDA will be around or how much time he'll get, but for those arguing his size is irrelevant, I disagree. The one thing this team doesn't need more of is small forwards. I don't care how "tough" they play. Robertson fights for every puck and gets dumped on his ass 9 times out of 10. That isn't going to be helpful facing the Lightning or Bruins come playoff time.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Not reading too much into this as we don't know how long SDA will be around or how much time he'll get, but for those arguing his size is irrelevant, I disagree. The one thing this team doesn't need more of is small forwards. I don't care how "tough" they play. Robertson fights for every puck and gets dumped on his ass 9 times out of 10. That isn't going to be helpful facing the Lightning or Bruins come playoff time.

Size isn't irrelevant.

If he's getting a shot... I'd guess it's at 3C... so we aren't getting smaller, more of a sideways movement.

Like I've said above... it's improbable that we will be looking for size at 3C anyways.

Let's also keep in mind, that Knies probably joins us after his season, and brings size.

Reactions: kevsh

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

To be fair, Robertson gets dumped on his ass by small players too.

He falls down when nobody is within a few feet of him.

He has been getting better at not falling down, but the guy can get blown over by the wind.

I don't think size is really the reason.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

It's always great when someone assumes that someone knows nothing about a player just to suit their own myopic point of view. You played yourself son.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Height wise leafs are 21st but there are a few notable teams that have a smaller average foward height:
Tampa, Colorado, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Carolina are among them

Weight wise, Leafs are 15th so notably:
Oilers, Jets, Avalanche, Penguins, Panthers, Canes, Devils, Lightning

It's a myth that the leafs forwards are small. I'd say decidely pretty average

Reactions: Gallagbi

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Height wise leafs are 21st but there are a few notable teams that have a smaller average foward height:

That is because we have Engvall. Unfortunately he plays a foot smaller.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think people are referring to height when they say the team plays small.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad