Recalled/Assigned: Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Malgin is better 7 days a week than SDA.

Maybe just a reward to practice with the big club. We already have wingers that are healthy scratches.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I want to see Robertson get games too, but its clear he's having a hard time keeping his mind up to the pace of the game. He might be overthinking a bit.

Its about time we gave SDA a look anyway.

So what's the plan then? Sit in him the press box for 5 more games then put him on the 4th line and hope it's better then? Send him down to dominate the AHL some more? We're like 12-1-5 or something stupid in our last 18 games, they can afford to give Robertson some rope to get the hang of things. In and out of the lineup everytime he makes a mistake is just going to make him afraid to make mistakes which will completely neuter any skilled player. The best way to learn is to give him some rope.

Anyway SDA is just more of the same except a passer instead of a shooter. Not sure how that makes the Marner/Tavares line any better which was my point.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
So what's the plan then? Sit in him the press box for 5 more games then put him on the 4th line and hope it's better then? Send him down to dominate the AHL some more? We're like 12-1-5 or something stupid in our last 18 games, they can afford to give Robertson some rope to get the hang of things. In and out of the lineup everytime he makes a mistake is just going to make him afraid to make mistakes which will completely neuter any skilled player. The best way to learn is to give him some rope.

Anyway SDA is just more of the same except a passer instead of a shooter. Not sure how that makes the Marner/Tavares line any better which was my point.
Whats the rush with Robertson? Why not let him get a full season in the show under his belt, in and out of the lineup, practicing with the pros and coaches?

I think the fan base got used to seeing guys like Nylander and Marner as prospects. They are very rare players.

Robertson is 21 years old, drafted 53rd overall. Theres time to be patient. If SDA or Malgin can do what Robertson is doing then maybe they're dangling Robertson as trade bait. Like you said we have a lot of guys like SDA and Robertson in the system. We can probably afford to trade one.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I don't disagree about Robertson needing playing time. Imo the Leafs either need to send him down or keep him in the lineup.

That said I also don't think Robertson deserves preferential opportunity over other prospects like sda. If he wants that icetime then let him show the coaches that he deserves it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was someone sent down or did they have a vacant roster spot?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I don't disagree about Robertson needing playing time. Imo the Leafs either need to send him down or keep him in the lineup.

That said I also don't think Robertson deserves preferential opportunity over other prospects like sda. If he wants that icetime then let him show the coaches that he deserves it.
Very good takes

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think this is more of a reward in lieu of his good play. Get some practice with the big club. I doubt he gets into a game.

The Leafs IIRC have done paper transactions around Christmas like this for prospects/AHL players to give them a little pay bump like a Christmas bonus. That’s probably similar except they were able to use Jarnkroks roster spot to get a head start on that.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Question: how are all these players that Leafs bring up, Robertson etc allowed to succeed playing so little minutes? Pretty hard to show anything playing so few minutes.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Guessing he'd take more than 60 seconds to get scored on.
You and I could probably take more then 60 seconds to get scored on. Lol

Whats the rush with Robertson? Why not let him get a full season in the show under his belt, in and out of the lineup, practicing with the pros and coaches?

I think the fan base got used to seeing guys like Nylander and Marner as prospects. They are very rare players.

Robertson is 21 years old, drafted 53rd overall. Theres time to be patient. If SDA or Malgin can do what Robertson is doing then maybe they're dangling Robertson as trade bait. Like you said we have a lot of guys like SDA and Robertson in the system. We can probably afford to trade one.
If Malgin or SDA do the same thing as Robertson whe would they Dangle him? Why not dangle one of the other 2 and keep our home grown prospect

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner
Engvall - Der-Arguchintsev - Kerfoot
Aston-Reese - Kampf - Holmberg

I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a look with Kerfoot on the third line. He’s a smart kid, has amazing vision and playmaking skills and has really developed his 200ft game. I liked him in pre-season and he’s off to a strong start in the AHL.

Reactions: Notsince67

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Question: how are all these players that Leafs bring up, Robertson etc allowed to succeed playing so little minutes? Pretty hard to show anything playing so few minutes.
Playing with Tavares and Marner aint so bad for a 13th forward

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Here are seven forwards under contract to the Leafs, all 26 y.o. and under, competing for two spots on the fourth line and two seats in the press box:

26 y.o Adam Gaudette
26 y.o. Bobby McMann
25 y.o. Dennis Malgin
24 y.o Joey Anderson
23 y.o. Pontus Holmberg
22 y.o SDA
21 y.o. Nick Robertson

Most of them will never make it. Some of them would give their eye teeth for the opportunity to sit in the pressbox and/or rotate in and out of the lineup, even for 8-10 minutes per night.

The older ones will probably age-out, and there are still more similar players already in the system and always available through waivers, trades and free-agent signings.

The ones who are getting a shot, however slight, are fortunate and need to make the most of it. On the ice and off the ice. Every video session. Every team event. Every workout. Every practice. Every game. Every day and every night. This is their moment to show the coaches and management what they have and what they can do.

We as fans only see a small fraction of that, and from a distance. The actual games are just the end result. The players need to do something to get on the ice, and then to stay there.

We don't see all of that, and really aren't in the best position to judge each player's development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad