GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 4 • Sweden vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The Russians tied the Swedes in knots today with some very aggressive play - sometimes too aggressive but it got the Swedes off their game and wondering what red sweater would be in their faces next.

The Russian goaltending has been extremely solid and they will need the same approach to have a chance at knocking off Canada.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
No, I'll admit he had a bad game today, but he had a good one two nights ago. He may not have "lit up" the whole tournament, but he came a hell of a lot closer to doing so than you first implied.

This is Kessel to a tee, no? Gets some points but his team doesn't medal (olympics). Gets some points in some games but disappears in others.

Kessel got picked apart last night on HNIC, the same analysis can be applied to Nylander. A team killer.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is Kessel to a tee, no? Gets some points but his team doesn't medal (olympics). Gets some points in some games but disappears in others.

Kessel got picked apart last night on HNIC, the same analysis can be applied to Nylander. A team killer.

Kessel had 4 goals and 6 points in the playoffs against Boston, so calling Kessel a no show in big games is also a lie, as I believe he's at or close to a PPG when it comes to the playoffs, going back to his Boston days. Granted, I still have my problems with the way he plays away from the puck, and his effort level in the regular season, but he shows up and elevates his game in the playoffs.

And just like Nylander, he wasn't the only guy on that American team. I seem to recall Kane dissapeared as well.

Also, aside from having similar scoring trends apparently, their games aren't terribly comparable at all. Nylander is also a centre, just because the Swedish coach refused to play him there, it doesn't change that fact.

member 147413

Sorry must of misread this thread, where's the Sweden - Russia one? I seem to be in the "Nylander is overrated and Leafs fans are stupid thread".

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Nylander a team killer? Some guys on here are really trying too hard to convince everyone here that he's a horrible prospect.

He did alright this tournament, can we all agree on that? :facepalm:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Just when you're ready to count Russia out they come out and play great. Heck of a game by those guys. They'll be big underdogs against a mighty Canada squad but they're playing with house money at this point.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Just when you're ready to count Russia out they come out and play great. Heck of a game by those guys. They'll be big underdogs against a mighty Canada squad but they're playing with house money at this point.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Backami

Jun 26, 2013

big underdogs? mighty Canada squad? How many times we have heard this in past and what was the outcome? Odds are quite equal.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

big underdogs? mighty Canada squad? How many times we have heard this in past and what was the outcome? Odds are quite equal.

Based on the exhibition game, I would say Canada is favoured but you are right... you never know.

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
I'm not even disappointed because I knew this would come. Russia was better and I hope we can do better for next year when we hopefully can bring a better and more experienced squad to Finland.

Now I just want the final to be one hell of a game because I don't want to stay up in the middle of the night to watch a blowout or a mediocre game. GG Russia and good luck to both teams in the final game.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

It would certainly be a disaster if Nylander turned into something like Kessel.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It makes me wonder if the SHL is a bit overrated. All this talk about how Nylander was tearing it up playing against men, but he didn't really light it up in this tourney playing against players his own age. I know that it's only one tourney and he did show a lot of skill at times, but I think that there was a little too much hype about Nylander and how his SHL play would translate. Like most of the other top 10 picks this year, other than Ekblad, he has a lot of work to do on improving aspects of his game.

9 points in 6 games (with 1 game to go) is lighting it up.

You have to remember that he doesn't play on a stacked Team Canada that has star prospects on every line. Most of Sweden's team will not make the NHL.

Nylander created most of his offense, he wasn't passenger on his line.

It's okay to hate the Leafs, but let's not be blind. I don't get the hate for the guy, he hasn't even played for the Leafs yet!

In any case, the guy has been a million times better than most forwards on Team Canada and USA where the bulk of the NHL prospects are.

Ritchie? No competition. Virtanen? Not even in the same league.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
Sweden played bad thanks to facing a very high quality Russia. Im happy for them finally beating us, and I truly think they will take the gold if they play like this.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
Russia had done their homework against Sweden. Scary good tactic and execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad