GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 4 • Sweden vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Nylander should've played center with Kempe on his wing. Seeing the highlights I'm even more convinced. Almost every time Nylander entered the offensive zone down the middle he got through almost cleanly. Lindblom - Nylander - Kempe could've worked very well. But I guess we'll never know.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It makes me wonder if the SHL is a bit overrated. All this talk about how Nylander was tearing it up playing against men, but he didn't really light it up in this tourney playing against players his own age. I know that it's only one tourney and he did show a lot of skill at times, but I think that there was a little too much hype about Nylander and how his SHL play would translate. Like most of the other top 10 picks this year, other than Ekblad, he has a lot of work to do on improving aspects of his game.

You know he is still currently tied for the tournament lead in scoring. I mean it would have been nice for him to go 2.0 PPG but considering the fact that better prospects like Eichel and Mcdavid and Reinhart manage to only equal his point totals (depending on what happens with Slovakia) I'd say he has done very well production wise, except against a good Russian team that raised there level of play in the semi finals.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
It makes me wonder if the SHL is a bit overrated. All this talk about how Nylander was tearing it up playing against men, but he didn't really light it up in this tourney playing against players his own age. I know that it's only one tourney and he did show a lot of skill at times, but I think that there was a little too much hype about Nylander and how his SHL play would translate. Like most of the other top 10 picks this year, other than Ekblad, he has a lot of work to do on improving aspects of his game.

I think it is better for him to be playing against Men (SHL) at a higher level than junior hockey for his development. SHL is a decent league,

It is a one off tournament, he is 18, the Russians played a good game. I don't think he should be shot down as much as some have been talking poorly of him. He will have a good career don't see him busting, just not sure what the Leaf fans expectations are of him?

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Nylander had en "off tournament"? He scored 9 points in 6 games playing an off position. He played one less than stellar game.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
I think it is better for him to be playing against Men (SHL) at a higher level than junior hockey for his development. SHL is a decent league,

It is a one off tournament, he is 18, the Russians played a good game. I don't think he should be shot down as much as some have been talking poorly of him. He will have a good career don't see him busting, just not sure what the Leaf fans expectations are of him?

Nylander needs space, whether its the big-ice or the PP, its evident that his game is not suite to North American game.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
How many points did he score 5v5 cause thats the contribution that wins games.

The Swedish coach has taken game coaching too hard. All through this tournament he's played de la Rose's line way too much and Nylander's line not close to enough. It's not easy to do anything with as few(relatively) 5on5 minutes Nylander's gotten this tournament. I'm not really a fan of Nylander or a Leafs fan by any means but it's stupid to expect this kid to be doing everything himself. Also, his play on the powerplay has contributed well enough to win 5 out of 6 games.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Oh please, don't be dramatic and inaccurate. People were trashing the whole Swedish team in this thread, not just Nylander, so don't act like it's some kind of absurd, unfair criticism. He had a bad game, it happens, deal with it. Leaf fans can't pump the kid up CONSTANTLY in every Sweden thread and praise him for the tiniest things all day long and then get defensive when he gets criticized for the first time in the tournament. Playing the victim as if the whole website automatically hates Leaf prospects is just ridiculous, you have to expect people to get sick and tired of the constant hyping of a player so when that player does something bad people are going to want to point that out too. Otherwise it's just a one sided circle-jerk.

Exactly, certain Leaf fans wanted to make all the success Sweden was having all about him when it wasn't (good contributor of it but hardly the only reason or the key reason). Well you do that and when they lose expect people to blame him for the loss. Its not right just like all of the BS hype over the simplest of plays was not right.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You know he is still currently tied for the tournament lead in scoring. I mean it would have been nice for him to go 2.0 PPG but considering the fact that better prospects like Eichel and Mcdavid and Reinhart manage to only equal his point totals (depending on what happens with Slovakia) I'd say he has done very well production wise, except against a good Russian team that raised there level of play in the semi finals.

Point totals are misleading in these tournies because you can feast on some pretty weak teams. The bigger test is how you play in the big games like today.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Didn't you guys also project Kulemin to be Datsyuk?

You may want to calm down on those comparisons. especially Big players like Kopitar and Sundin

I'm not comparing anything. I'm just looking at this list and noting that Nylander's offensive potential is intriguing.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_total.php?season=%&leagueid=SHL&leagueteam=&nation=&sort=u19

Point totals are misleading in these tournies because you can feast on some pretty weak teams. The bigger test is how you play in the big games like today.

Well he did get a couple assists in a close game against Russia in the preliminary round and he was named player of the game in the quarterfinals against Finland. I'm not saying he dominated, but he did pretty well.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Nylander had en "off tournament"? He scored 9 points in 6 games playing an off position. He played one less than stellar game.

I thought he looked really good this tournament. He wasn't good today - he seemed pretty invisible (the exception being his notable 'pass to nowhere')...but the whole team seemed off. Otherwise, he's been good.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
Exactly, certain Leaf fans wanted to make all the success Sweden was having all about him when it wasn't (good contributor of it but hardly the only reason or the key reason). Well you do that and when they lose expect people to blame him for the loss. Its not right just like all of the BS hype over the simplest of plays was not right.

Well said. You are apart of the solution.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

He showed up in the quarters against Finland and had 2 points. He can't do everything.

And in any case your first point wasn't even about just today. You questioned why he wasn't lighting it up, but the kid has 9 points in 6 games. That's about as close as he can get to lighting it up.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
of the 12 goals sweden scored on the PP, Nylander only had three points? A lie. A lie you tell. He teed up at least three for Frosling

Well, I know both his goals were not on the PP, and that one assist he had in the other Russia game for the game winning goal was even strength as well. The rest I dont know for sure.

Bill Waters*

Jul 19, 2013
Orillia, Ontario
Okay first off, you were already proven wrong about most of his points coming on the PP.

Second, what, power play goals don't count anymore. I'm pretty sure special teams points contribute to wins just as much.

the guys a minus one with nine points, where else did he get the points unless he is really bad defensivly?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He showed up in the quarters against Finland and had 2 points. He can't do everything.

And in any case your first point wasn't even about just today. You questioned why he wasn't lighting it up, but the kid has 9 points in 6 games. That's about as close as he can get to lighting it up.

Two assists in two playoff games is lighting it up?
He had a good tourney but the pre tourney hype by Leaf fans was over the top. Not even close to the best player in the tournament, imo.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Two assists in two playoff games is lighting it up?
He had a good tourney but the pre tourney hype by Leaf fans was over the top. Not even close to the best player in the tournament, imo.

No, I'll admit he had a bad game today, but he had a good one two nights ago. He may not have "lit up" the whole tournament, but he came a hell of a lot closer to doing so than you first implied.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No, I'll admit he had a bad game today, but he had a good one two nights ago. He may not have "lit up" the whole tournament, but he came a hell of a lot closer to doing so than you first implied.

When was the last time tbe Leafs had a prospect play this well in a WJC... Never!

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yes, SHL must be overrated because Nylander had one off game in the WJC. Sound logic

Anyways, Canada - Russia is going to be a fun final to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad