GDT: Semifinal • Jan. 4 • Sweden vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
I just hope it doesn't turn out to be the Grand Forks final game, so much hype Ovechkin and Malkin vs Canada and we got destroyed.

We have to contain the initial storm by Canada, they always go 200% at the home ice in the first 10-15 minutes. If we don't let more than 1 goal in, we are in the game

Yep, they come out BIG in the opening 10-15 minutes at home. Frightening to watch but almost unsustainable. Although they maintain a high level. The 2011 WJC side seemed to start controlling play late in the second period in 2011. However in 2012 it was all Canada, crazy game even when Russia went up 6-1 everyone (Even the Russian commentators) knew with 12mins to go the result was not safe :laugh:

They have done themselves proud in this tournament, hopefully they play a good final, Canada should win though. This Canada side is the only one in recent years I have felt the hype was warranted. The others had too many faults that could be exposed.

FanHabtic*

I thought Nylander was a turnover machine and he didn't backcheck after turning it over. He'll fit right in with the Leafs.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm disappointed the swedish coach didn't let Nylander play centre. Obviously that wasn't the reason the swedes lost (Russia as clearly the better team) but I think Nylander probably would have been more engaged in the game if he was a centre and had to work to retrieve the puck rather than guard the points and wait for the puck to come to him.

I'm hoping the Leafs develop him as a centre. I think he's much better there. It looks like he's pretty comfortable in faceoffs too.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
B6i4BUkCUAAXtMk.jpg

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Very feisty and complete performance by Russia. I want to raise my glass and drink a toast to the guys who people said shouldn't be there, but instead were an important part of advancing to the GMG - Leschenko, Sharov, Mamin, Golyshev, Dergachyov, Paiygin, Shestyorkin and others. Whatever happens tomorrow, what a magnificent effort today against a very talented and classy team like Sweden!

Sharov - what a sniper! That guy is dangerous.

Jeb99

Apr 26, 2014
Jönköping
I'm so disappointed bout the swedes team! They all made Russia look good. Nylander was a joke. Everyone besides Kempe were playing thir worst game tonight.

Sorry about spelling and stuff I'm a bit drunk and posses off too.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Nylander's very skilled but I agree with the general consensus that he needs to get grittier and get more 'into the fray' if he wants to become a great player. He was better in the 1st game against Russia than in tonight's, imo.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Nylander's very skilled but I agree with the general consensus that he needs to get grittier and get more 'into the fray' if he wants to become a great player. He was better in the 1st game against Russia than in tonight's, imo.

No finished products at 18 years old. He'll bulk up.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Expected to see more out of Nylander. Looks like he just couldn't adjust to the NA ice. Sending him back to Sweden could have been the worst thing the Leafs could have done for him.

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
I'm impressed by Russia. Very impressive game. Hope they bring this game into final game vs Canada. Best gold game match up. Canada - Russia. Hell yeah!

Gratz Russia.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Nylander was a turnover machine and he didn't backcheck after turning it over. He'll fit right in with the Leafs.

Damn. Looks like we got ourselves a bust. Welp, guess Nylander should just go back to the SHL and keep scoring at a PPG pace as an 18 year old while passing players like Kopitar, Sundin and eventually Bäckström. Oh well :dunno:

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
All these fans ripping Nylander would love to have him in their team. He's one of the more exciting prospects the sport has so stop hating.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
wow. they sure are going all out this year.

what are they going to do next year?

They do this every year under Bragin :laugh: I have a TSN download of the Russia vs Canada game from 2011 and after the match Pierre Mcguire was saying only 2 or 3 Russians are eligible to return in 2012 and they will have big troubles in 2012, yet they grabbed silver a year later.

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Expected to see more out of Nylander. Looks like he just couldn't adjust to the NA ice. Sending him back to Sweden could have been the worst thing the Leafs could have done for him.

Disagree, it is good he is in Sweden playing against Men regularly at his age, he is only 18. I think he will have a good career. Thought he was good against Russia in the first game they played.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Damn. Looks like we got ourselves a bust. Welp, guess Nylander should just go back to the SHL and keep scoring at a PPG pace as an 18 year old while passing players like Kopitar, Sundin and eventually Bäckström. Oh well :dunno:

It makes me wonder if the SHL is a bit overrated. All this talk about how Nylander was tearing it up playing against men, but he didn't really light it up in this tourney playing against players his own age. I know that it's only one tourney and he did show a lot of skill at times, but I think that there was a little too much hype about Nylander and how his SHL play would translate. Like most of the other top 10 picks this year, other than Ekblad, he has a lot of work to do on improving aspects of his game.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Didn't you guys also project Kulemin to be Datsyuk?

You may want to calm down on those comparisons. especially Big players like Kopitar and Sundin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad