GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
lmao he's right? What 5 on 5 scoring chances swedes had against them? None. Everything came from long range shots on a PP and bad goaltending by Askarov. Swedes were lucky to be in this game for so long. You should thank Bragin for keeping Askarov in for so long.

For the love of everything, get the point. Sweden didn't score because they didn't use their speed to their advantage. Wich was what Sandin said they should be doing. Wich I also said they should've done. Neither Sandin or I ever said the Russian defenders were bad, because they were not.

Should I make it even more clear?
- Russian defenders are NOT bad

Reactions: Sentinel

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Russia dominated this game more than Sweden. Russia was also more deserving of the win. Deal with it.

Sweden dominated 5v5, Russia just had a ton of unfair penalties, while Sweden should have had a bunch more than we did, because of a Finnish ref.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did you watch the goal?

The Russian player comes down the left side, cuts to the middle, and Sandin prevents him, and pushes him out to the right side.

Like, this is basic stuff
Yup, in great detail.

He gives up the middle of the ice because his gap is too big. The fact the Russian player can gain the zone, cut from the outside (where Sandin should want him) to the middle and gain inside out position on the defender shows how poorly it was played.

Your explanation is insanity. He gives up the middle of the ice, if that's properly played the Russian can't get to his right at all.

Completely agree this is basic, not sure how you can struggle with the interpretation this badly. It's basic defensive concepts.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If we assume Romanov is the best D in the game, he might very well be, there's at least 3 defensemen on Team Sweden that's right up there with him in Broberg, Sandin and Söderström.

Swedens top D's is as great or almost as great as Romanov but the depth is just superior.

I still hold Russia as the favorite in this game due to their superior forwards but in terms of defense.. Sweden wins it.

Well, this game showed exactly, what I said. Yes, Sandin was great on PP, but his bad defensive play costed Sweden the game.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
For the love of everything, get the point. Sweden didn't score because they didn't use their speed to their advantage. Wich was what Sandin said they should be doing. Wich I also said they should've done. Neither Sandin or I ever said the Russian defenders were bad, because they were not.

Should I make it even more clear?
- Russian defenders are NOT bad
How do you imagine the D that can't skate but not bad at the same time? The points you make just don't connect at all. In today's hockey there's no such thing as a good D that can't skate. Just take your L and we can move on.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Nah, this team doesn't have anybody with NHL stardom potential, aside from Romanov. It's just a very even team with a lot of skillful players, but that's it, no Panarin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Gusev on this team. Romanov is going to be good, though.

Podkolzin will shine in the NHL. I'm very positive about him being much more productive with the linemates of the same skill level.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Just the last 5 years in general... we'll see though. Plus, depends how you value 2 golds vs 1 gold and 3 'other medals' etc.

Yeah its hard to beat 5 straight top 2 finishes in this tournament. Even with another silver medal for the past 5 years.

If its 1 gold and 4 silvers it probably ranks in the late top 10 or early top 20 for tournament history for 5 year stretches also.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Wait, what? He said they can't skate (he's right) and they need to get in behind them. He never said they weren't good players. Don't think he deserves to end up a loser for saying what his team needs to do.
Sweden should do itself a favour internationally and ban all media interviews. It seems every year they give their opponents a motivational statement? Never, ever, ever ....... Remember Coach “Forsberg” year’s ago ahead of a battle against Canada? They just need to “zip it”

Reactions: jj cale

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
How do you imagine the D that can't skate but not bad at the same time? The points you make just don't connect at all. In today's hockey there's no such thing as a good D that can't skate. Just take your L and we can move on.

Yeah, "can't skate" doesn't mean that they literally can not skate. Take your W and move on. Stop attacking someone who's done nothing to you. He even gave you a goal, maybe thank him instead?

Sweden should do itself a favour internationally and ban all media interviews. It seems every year they give their opponents a motivational statement? Never, ever, ever ....... Remember Coach “Forsberg” year’s ago ahead of a battle against Canada? They just need to “zip it”

I don't disagree.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You realize they played 3 on 3, right? How much ice should he cover? On a bad line change, where he was left out alone and gassed, on a shot that shouldn't have been a goal, but it happened to be a near perfect shot off the post? Blaming the OT on Sandin is quite ridiculous.

Also, the bashing on the Russian goalie is getting overboard. He had a tough game with alot of screens on most of the goals he allowed.
Two steps up and he can play it properly. Instead he's flat footed and can't keep up with the pace of the Russian.

Sandin was their best player all night, especially in OT. Sucks to see him beat for the gwg

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Obviously. Lol.

Its also why i don't know if its top 10 or early top 20 for the history.

I forgot just how many times exactly has canada gone 5 for 5. I know its at the minimum 3 times. And i know they have had other stretches where they got 2-3 golds and 2-3 silvers in a 5 year span.

But no matter how you slice it 5 straight gold medal games is impressive.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
That is outstanding... if they get Gold tomorrow... there last 5 years might be the most impressive overall.

No way, it should be ranked by goal medal haul over that 5 year period, Russia's last gold was in 2011, its been nearly a decade since their last title at this tournament.

So they're certainly overdue for a gold, while Russia may have 2 silvers (2015, 2016) and two bronze's (2017, 2019) its still clearly not as impressive as Canada's 2 golds (2015, 2018) and 1 silver (2017) imo.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah, "can't skate" doesn't mean that they literally can not skate. Take your W and move on. Stop attacking someone who's done nothing to you. He even gave you a goal, maybe thank him instead?

I don't disagree.
Thanks, captain Obvious. It still means what it means which means they are bad skaters in his opinion. Don't back track, just say the guy was running his mouth and paid for it and that's it.

Reactions: Sentinel

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I really don't care about what commentary says.

Unless you think whatever commentary says is the absolute truth. I wouldn't suggest that.
It’s not the point whether it’s true or not. It’s an honest and popular opinion. You’re suggesting that it could only come from the fact that it’s a leaf player and that’s clearly not the case. It’s not about them being right. It’s about them having the same bias in the opinion that you’re claiming the posters here are having.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Thanks, captain Obvious. It still means what it means which means they are bad skaters in his opinion. Don't back track, just say the guy was running his mouth and paid for it and that's it.

I'm not back tracking anything. I still agree with him and I still think it's true about the Russian defenders. I still think Sweden failed in using it to their advantage and that's why they lost. He did absolutely run his mouth. He paid for it also. Still doesn't mean he was wrong. And you're still in the wrong for attacking him.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I did not watch the game so can’t comment on the issue of how Sandin played the winning goal. But how much ice time did he see over the course of the game? I always feel bad for a kid or player who plays huge minutes and then gets “beat” (if that’s true) on the winning goal? Did it potentially contribute we will never know but their young and still developing cut him some slack. BUT the stupid statement ahead of the game about an opponent needs reviewed? Side note for the Swedish posters been to Sweden a few times what a beautiful country!! Next to my Canada only place I would consider moving to.....

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
I did not watch the game so can’t comment on the issue of how Sandin played the winning goal. But how much ice time did he see over the course of the game? I always feel bad for a kid or player who plays huge minutes and then gets “beat” (if that’s true) on the winning goal? Did it potentially contribute we will never know but their young and still developing cut him some slack. BUT the stupid statement ahead of the game about an opponent needs reviewed? Side note for the Swedish posters been to Sweden a few times what a beautiful country!! Next to my Canada only place I would consider moving to.....

24:38. Think he had been on the ice for quiet a while when they goal was scored though.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
24:38. Think he had been on the ice for quiet a while when they goal was scored though.
That’s actually not that heavy I would have expected more? However it’s a game every other day for basically 2 weeks? Thanks for the update.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you think the Russian player was in the slot, you have a weird definition of what the slot is.

Sandin kept the Russian player out of slot and into the faceoff circles.

Did you not watch the goal? Or does everywhere in offensive zone = the slot?

He shot from the bottom of the circle almost right in front of the net. That’s prime realty for a scoring chance. I get you’re trying to defend him because you’re a fan, but he undoubtably played that poorly as essentially everyone except for you has said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad