GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was, and that’s why it was commented on as such. Or are you suggesting it’s only because he’s a leaf? Because personally for me, that could’ve been Ray Bourque and is have called it a bad play. I don’t think Ferraro and the colour commentator (who’s name is for some reason escaping me right now) immediately the painting it out as a bad play is due to them being leaf haters either. You have the emotional bond to the player which clouding your logic here, not them.

I really don't care about what commentary says.

Unless you think whatever commentary says is the absolute truth. I wouldn't suggest that.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Based on the comments on this game thread, justice was served in the end.
And you're imagining if the Russian/ Canadian/ whatever star player would've been ejected for that hit, that this place would've stayed quiet? Especially with how tilted the ice was with what was considered a penalty later on? You would've heard the same thing.
Yes, Sweden did it again. :)
... said the massively known Finnish troll.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Nah, this team doesn't have anybody with NHL stardom potential, aside from Romanov. It's just a very even team with a lot of skillful players, but that's it, no Panarin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Gusev on this team. Romanov is going to be good, though.
As a team, this one is better than previous teams with a handful of star players, in my opinion. When was the last time team Russia outshot badly both Canada and Sweden in the same tournament?

Reactions: lilidk

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
But you cant accuse us for not being consistent. Without Höglander this was Russias game to win. 5min powerplay and the best pointproducer in Sweden gone. Would be hard to overcome for any team against this Russian team. Höglander cost us this game. Now go win over Canada.
Yeah it was a huge loss for Sweden to lose Höglander. It was very impressive that they were one goal away from winning without their top player.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How has Alexandrov been this tournament? Is this kid an NHLer at some point?

I thought he was excellent during the round robin. Really quick, two-way forward with skill. I liked him so much I looked it up to see who drafted him, and, of course, it's the Blues.

He needs some seasoning, but I like his game.

Reactions: TK 421

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This is a 1 on 3?

Come on.... and you tell me to rewatch it lmao

In all likelyhood #11 on Russia is yelling at Morozov letting him know he was coming in.

IrZJrjN.png
Sandin can't give up the middle like he did. His gaps too wide and he doesn't close properly. Misread in an otherwise strong game for him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This is a 1 on 3?

Come on.... and you tell me to rewatch it lmao

In all likelyhood #11 on Russia is yelling at Morozov letting him know he was coming in.

IrZJrjN.png

Okay it was purely a one on one. Sandin got beat. There wasnt a good way for Morozov to utilize his teammates. That screenshot you took was when Sandin already got beat.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I like the chip on the shoulder... Russians play with passion. Emotional people.

Playing with passion is one thing, suggesting the media doesn't report on a player because he's Russian when you play in Washington, with Ovie, and have a mic in your face, is just kinda dumb. Samsonov isn't talked about much because he's just getting started and that Holtby dude was pretty good for a pretty long time. No doubt he's had a heck of a start to his career but these things take time, lets at least give it some before playing victim.

Reactions: Buttsy

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
I felt we lost the game right when Hog was expelled. Actually played better then I thought. Sandin got criticism but It’s really hard to defend 3v3. Russia had 4 good lines and it showed in the third. Hate to say it, but the better team won. With Hoglander still in the game it would be a different game.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sandin can't give up the middle like he did. His gaps too wide and he doesn't close properly. Misread in an otherwise strong game for him.

Did you watch the goal?

The Russian player comes down the left side, cuts to the middle, and Sandin prevents him, and pushes him out to the right side.

Like, this is basic stuff

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Okay it was purely a one on one. Sandin got beat. There wasnt a good way for Morozov to utilize his teammates. That screenshot you took was when Sandin already got beat.

That screenshot is when Morozov is just shooting.

Sandin is still with him, and has kept him outside the slot into the faceoff circle. Morozov is further towards the far side of the ice, so it looks like he's further ahead, but if he tries to cut inside again, Sandin is there to knock him off.

The goalie needs to make the save there.

Reactions: Buttsy

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You realize they played 3 on 3, right? How much ice should he cover? On a bad line change, where he was left out alone and gassed, on a shot that shouldn't have been a goal, but it happened to be a near perfect shot off the post? Blaming the OT on Sandin is quite ridiculous.

Also, the bashing on the Russian goalie is getting overboard. He had a tough game with alot of screens on most of the goals he allowed.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Playing with passion is one thing, suggesting the media doesn't report on a player because he's Russian when you play in Washington, with Ovie, and have a mic in your face, is just kinda dumb. Samsonov isn't talked about much because he's just getting started and that Holtby dude was pretty good for a pretty long time. No doubt he's had a heck of a start to his career but these things take time, lets at least give it some before playing victim.
I didn't say he was right... I just like the us vs them attitude that the Russians have. It's really grown on me in the last decade for some reason.

FTR.. Samsonov is blocking Vanecek so I'd be fine if they trade him.lol

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia will now get a medal in 10 of last 11 tournaments. Only one gold though
That is outstanding... if they get Gold tomorrow... there last 5 years might be the most impressive overall.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I didn't say he was right... I just like the us vs them attitude that the Russians have. It's really grown on me in the last decade for some reason.

FTR.. Samsonov is blocking Vanecek so I'd be fine if they trade him.lol

Fair enough. No problem with the passion, I just found it to be an annoying take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad