GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
This the best Russian team in quite a while. It deserves to play in the final. Now, I wonder, who will start for the Russians in the goal in the final ? ;-)

Nah, this team doesn't have anybody with NHL stardom potential, aside from Romanov. It's just a very even team with a lot of skillful players, but that's it, no Panarin, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Gusev on this team. Romanov is going to be good, though.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
But I wonder why a bunch of posters were quick to criticize Sandin

Again, to comment on a poor play isn’t necessarily criticism in the way you feel it it with an emotional bond to said player.

And I’d assume the reason they posters commented that it was a bad play is for the same reason the colour commentator and play by play man also immediately commented on it. Because it was clearly a bad play.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Again, to comment on a poor play isn’t necessarily criticism in the way you feel it it with an emotional bond to said player.

And I’d assume the reason they posters commented that it was a bad play is for the same reason the colour commentator and play by play man also immediately commented on it. Because it was clearly a bad play.

It wasn’t.

But glad you ignored the rest of the post breaking it down :laugh:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
This isn’t the biggest accomplishment by any stretch. There are four semi finalists every year and in reality only five countries have a legitimate chance to make the semi final in this tournament.
5 teams can realistically win gold each year and with those odds of f***ing TERRIBLE that they keep losing like this. I'm beyond disappointed. I'm fed up. Off with their f***ing heads already.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
There was a poster who said that Sandin had a awful/bad game. But it’s an exaggeration.

I don’t see what the “bad read” or “bad play” is.

Rewatching it, the Russian player comes down the left, cuts to the middle, Sandin keeps him out to the right side, the Russian player throws a shot off, and it goes in.

If Sandin commits more to the Russian with the puck, and he slides it over to #11, then Sandin is being criticized for not minding the passing lane.

Sandin was with him the whole way. He’s covering the middle lane, preventing the Russian player from cutting back in, or making a pass to the other incoming forward.

I don’t think anyone is to blame there. The goalie should’ve made the save, but it was a good shot. Sandin played that as he should’ve.

But I wonder why a bunch of posters were quick to criticize Sandin

It was essentially a one on one situation. There was no way the Russian player would have passed back. Actually it was more like a one on 3. Rewatch it lol. Morozov probably didn't even know where his teammates were.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Sandin played that horribly. Let his man get the inside track. That was a 1 on 3 and he let the Russian get inside for the shot and goal.

Are you being sarcastic? Because that's the exact opposite of what happened. I'm assuming you're being facetious, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Huh? Sandin let him skate right into the slot. Sandin has a great game, but there’s no denying he got burned bad on that game winner.

If you think the Russian player was in the slot, you have a weird definition of what the slot is.

Sandin kept the Russian player out of slot and into the faceoff circles.

Did you not watch the goal? Or does everywhere in offensive zone = the slot?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
refs aside, the Swedes had a really good Defense, but the forwards weren't big/strong enough to compete with the Russians. Would've been nice to see more of Hoglander.
I think that the teams who made it through the "group of death" have an advantage, as they never really had a truly weak opponent, which kept them humble, and hard working.

"Hands of stone" Sokolov did alright for himself, no? Marchenko is a beast. Still don't get the Podkolzin hype...he was solid, but that's it, for me. Soderstrom was very impressive.

Reactions: Czechboy

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Don't matter. Russian D will compete for the Gold. This guy talked tough and ended up a loser as he should. End of story.

Wait, what? He said they can't skate (he's right) and they need to get in behind them. He never said they weren't good players. Don't think he deserves to end up a loser for saying what his team needs to do.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It wasn’t.

But glad you ignored the rest of the post breaking it down :laugh:
It was, and that’s why it was commented on as such. Or are you suggesting it’s only because he’s a leaf? Because personally for me, that could’ve been Ray Bourque and is have called it a bad play. I don’t think Ferraro and the colour commentator (who’s name is for some reason escaping me right now) immediately the painting it out as a bad play is due to them being leaf haters either. You have the emotional bond to the player which clouding your logic here, not them.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Another group win, another loss when it matters for Sweden. Ugh.
But you cant accuse us for not being consistent. Without Höglander this was Russias game to win. 5min powerplay and the best pointproducer in Sweden gone. Would be hard to overcome for any team against this Russian team. Höglander cost us this game. Now go win over Canada.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It was essentially a one on one situation. There was no way the Russian player would have passed back. Actually it was more like a one on 3. Rewatch it lol. Morozov probably didn't even know where his teammates were.

This is a 1 on 3?

Come on.... and you tell me to rewatch it lmao

In all likelyhood #11 on Russia is yelling at Morozov letting him know he was coming in.

IrZJrjN.png

Reactions: Eye Test

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Wait, what? He said they can't skate (he's right) and they need to get in behind them. He never said they weren't good players. Don't think he deserves to end up a loser for saying what his team needs to do.
lmao he's right? What 5 on 5 scoring chances swedes had against them? None. Everything came from long range shots on a PP and bad goaltending by Askarov. Swedes were lucky to be in this game for so long. You should thank Bragin for keeping Askarov in for so long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad