GDT: Semi-final • Jan. 3 • Russia 6, Canada 5 ‎(Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
The bet was a father/son.
Beaulieu's dad coaches the Sting.

Beaulieu plays for the Mem Cup Champion Saint John Sea Dogs.
St John's IceCaps are in the AHL

I can't find the original article that I read the bet, but it's between the players. Yakupov is being coached by Beaulieu's dad in Sarnia

Should Canada emerge victorious, Yakupov will be obliged to wear a red-and-white Canadian sweater for a full week of practice back in Sarnia. Should it go the other way, then it’ll be Beaulieu wearing a Russian jersey that he says Yakupov will be obliged to supply – if it comes to that.

Here's another article that says the same.

jh477

Jan 21, 2009
After watching this game I officially do not care about this event anymore. A few sore loser plays by our guys ended up costing us a Gold medal two years in a row. This is becoming really disheartening for us as a country. Our hockey team can't even keep their heads together for 60 minutes. Something always happens, someone always ruins it for us in the most important games. These guys play like grown men for a period of time and than crumble like an old stone wall when emotions are running high. I think I'll just go back to watching the World Championships and the Olympics where the real men play.

desdemona

May 25, 2008
After watching this game I officially do not care about this event anymore. A few sore loser plays by our guys ended up costing us a Gold medal two years in a row. This is becoming really disheartening for us as a country. Our hockey team can't even keep their heads together for 60 minutes. Something always happens, someone always ruins it for us in the most important games. These guys play like grown men for a period of time and than crumble like an old stone wall when emotions are running high. I think I'll just go back to watching the World Championships and the Olympics where the real men play.

well, that's just sad. it's your decision, but there some good hockey to be enjoyed.

i enjoy watching the teams and players evolve during a short amount of time. the canadian tem was not one of them. was that because they had lousy coaching, because they weren't challenged in the first round, or are they just not as good as the other teams this year. i hope to find an answer tomorrow.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
Why speculate on what the score might have been if this or that had happened? You could just as easily construct a plausible scenario in which, after going ahead 6-1, Russia kept its foot on the pedal and built an even bigger lead. Nothing can change what is already final.

Why speculate? One-It's fun and two? Russia got lucky, I know we made some bad mistakes that Russia was able to capitalize on but we out shot them 56 to 24! That tells me that overall we played much better than the outcome showed. Russia got lucky.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Why speculate? One-It's fun and two? Russia got lucky, I know we made some bad mistakes that Russia was able to capitalize on but we out shot them 56 to 24! That tells me that overall we played much better then they did but they got the breaks and we didn't.

so that tells me you actually didn't watch the game, if you think that outshooting the russians in that game meant the canadians outplayed the russians.

shot totals with russian teams are very misleading of how they actually play the game. they are not like the canadians/sweds (who shoot any time and from any where on the ice), they are more picky with how and when they shoot the puck. they pass the puck around so well that they wait for that perfect shot.

Thepainter

Feb 9, 2010
Bay Area, California

If a country relies on their junior hockey team to rally them, that country needs to get a freaking life.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
so that tells me you actually didn't watch the game, if you think that outshooting the russians in that game meant the canadians outplayed the russians.

shot totals with russian teams are very misleading of how they actually play the game. they are not like the canadians/sweds (who shoot any time and from any where on the ice), they are more picky with how and when they shoot the puck. they pass the puck around so well that they wait for that perfect shot.

Ok but mark my words Sweden is going to show the world just how lucky Russia was. Sweden 4 Russia 0

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Ok but mark my words Sweden is going to show the world just how lucky Russia was. Sweden 4 Russia 0

the same sweden that had to come back from 3 down against the same russia earlier in the tournament? the same sweden that had to come back from 2 down yesterday against a much worse finland team?

nahcmo

Mar 2, 2011
I have to admit, I turned off the TV and went to bed when it was 6-1 Russia so I was pretty surprised to find out this morning that Russia only won 6-5 (I was expecting something like 9-3 Russia when it was all said in done).

From the 2-ish periods of hockey I saw, Canada looked pretty bad. Yes, they had a lot of shots but many of them were from the perimeter while Russia had quality chances (odd man rushes, guy left alone out front, etc.). But kudos to the Russian team for capitalizing on them while the Canadian could not.

Oh and that Boone Jenner penalty? What the heck was he thinking? Even though the spear wasn't a hard one, there's no place for that kind of stuff. :shakehead

Anyways, if there's any positives for Canada to take from this game it was that they went down fighting. I honestly thought they gave up midway through the 2nd period so good for them to at least make a game of it.

Lastly, congrats to Russia, your team played great hockey (from the two periods I watched) and fully deserved to win the game. Good luck in the final, I'm hoping to see a great game. :)

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Two epic collapses in the same game. Canada collapses first. Russia collapses second.
Russia comes out on top.
Kuznetsov - Kokhlachev - Yakupov line was awesomely awesome. Gallagher is clutch.
Very entertaining game overall, my heart almost stopped when Canada made it 6-5.
I hope that teaches HC a lesson of humility.

TexasCsar

Dec 24, 2011
Why speculate? One-It's fun and two? Russia got lucky, I know we made some bad mistakes that Russia was able to capitalize on but we out shot them 56 to 24! That tells me that overall we played much better than the outcome showed. Russia got lucky.

Yes, Russians got lucky. So lucky. :laugh:

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
the same sweden that had to come back from 3 down against the same russia earlier in the tournament? the same sweden that had to come back from 2 down yesterday against a much worse finland team?

Yup those Swedes. Look how lucky can one team get? 3 deflections, one complete defensive breakdown = 4 goals, on the other side we hit the post 4 times and one shot hits the Russian goalies pad and deflects up and doesn't go in it lands on top of the net I mean come on we should have won that game easily how lucky can a team get?

Kaktus*

I guess you felt ok after 2nd period. I mean shots on goals was about 19 to 30.

denzey*

:laugh::laugh:

do you know efficiency? we scored more goals with less shots :amazed:

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Canada should be proud of the come back, but not of the way the fans/players acted. Some dirty crap in the game, and the throwing crap on the ice didn't make you guys look too good.

But honestly, that third period was the most exciting period of hockey i've ever seen. And the last 5 mins, were the LONGEST of my life

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

There's always curling.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Good points! Another factor is that when a team falls behind by 5 goals with more than half the game gone, they have no choice but to throw everything they have into pinching their defensemen down low and forechecking with all 3 forwards. You run the risk of giving up a goal on the other end, which almost happened a few times, but you have no choice if you haven't abandoned efforts to get back in the game. Canada forechecked with so much intensity, and chased the puck with numbers so well that Russia had a hard time clearing the zone.

In the third period, Russia didn't do a good enough job making Canada pay for forechecking and pinching everyone by converting the pressure to 3-on-2's and 2-on-1's, and they need to develop a better break-out scheme to get the puck away from the net. Canada hit a few goalposts, but they also flopped a few lucky seeing-eye pucks from the blueline that went in. Vasilevki wasn't handling the pressure well in the 3rd, which is why he got pulled.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Yup those Swedes. Look how lucky can one team get? 3 deflections, one complete defensive breakdown = 4 goals, on the other side we hit the post 4 times and one shot hits the Russian goalies pad and deflects up and doesn't go in it lands on top of the net I mean come on we should have won that game easily how lucky can a team get?

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good!

Fakey123

Jan 27, 2009
I'm sure this is already been said, but we saw the weakest 10 minute misconduct penalties in the history of the IIHF. Smashing your stick against the boards deserves a misconduct? A little poke in the belly is now spearing? WOW

And a punch in the face by Connolly, no call.. lol..

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I have to admit, I turned off the TV and went to bed when it was 6-1 Russia so I was pretty surprised to find out this morning that Russia only won 6-5 (I was expecting something like 9-3 Russia when it was all said in done).

From the 2-ish periods of hockey I saw, Canada looked pretty bad. Yes, they had a lot of shots but many of them were from the perimeter while Russia had quality chances (odd man rushes, guy left alone out front, etc.). But kudos to the Russian team for capitalizing on them while the Canadian could not.

Oh and that Boone Jenner penalty? What the heck was he thinking? Even though the spear wasn't a hard one, there's no place for that kind of stuff. :shakehead

Anyways, if there's any positives for Canada to take from this game it was that they went down fighting. I honestly thought they gave up midway through the 2nd period so good for them to at least make a game of it.

Lastly, congrats to Russia, your team played great hockey (from the two periods I watched) and fully deserved to win the game. Good luck in the final, I'm hoping to see a great game. :)

Team Canada proved its quality by staging a fantastic comeback in the third period (sorry you missed it!). It was a perfect execution of intense forechecking and pinching the defensemen down low to literally surround the puck. The Russians were having a hell of a time clearing the puck (in all honesty, they had the same problem in their previous game against Sweden), and that can be attributed to Canada's gutty effort. Russian fans exhaled when the final horn sounded.

Eaglepride*

Everyone knows if Canada would ice their best eligible roster (Hall, Seguin, Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins, Skinner, Huberdreau ...) they'd be unstopbable.

Even their B team stormed back from 6 - 1 so they are still the goliath in this game.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Everyone knows if Canada would ice their best eligible roster (Hall, Seguin, Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins, Skinner, Huberdreau ...) they'd be unstopbable.

Even their B team stormed back from 6 - 1 so they are still the goliath in this game.

The "B" team still lost, I am Canadian and I hate that excuse. THey lost, it wasn't a very good team in the first place. There is always next year, I found that there wasn't a lot of talent period in this tourny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad