Season ticket wait list

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Great post Buggs. You make some very good points.

The electronic ticketing is at least partly about fighting counterfeiting of tickets. I'm not sure it will prove to be effective at that. The other aspects of its affects on the customers are being spun as benefits or ignored altogether.

Well I've only used electronic entry once, for the sole playoff game I attended (I'm part of a group). Being a bit of a jerk I decided to see if I could get in with screen shots rather than via the app specifically. I had the app ready to go so as to not cause grief to anyone waiting behind us. But I wanted to test the 'security' aspect of the electronic ticketing and it failed miserably, as has been reported by others here previously. Screenshot displayed and swiped for both tickets, scanned perfectly.

So a screenshot can get you access and it is no more difficult (assuming you have a smartphone) to produce than a photocopy of a print at home paper ticket.

As with so many things TNSE isn't really telling the whole truth. Electronic ticketing may be an attempt to fight counterfeiting of tickets but it's a remarkably lame one. It's really an excuse thrown out as a distraction, as happens so much in society now, to gain access to information. "You must have the app". No, not really. You must trust the person you're buying the ticket from. I can save people from having to sign up for a Jets account at least as I can just take a screen shot and send them the image. Now that's not true of the secondary market and from that perspective having a Jets account is indeed another layer of protection if you don't know the individual you are purchasing from. But I think the media and TNSE itself would be broadcasting information like crazy if fake tickets were a huge issue. It happens a couple of times a year I'd guess, not much more. Hardly justification for the change. It's another way to save $$. I already know people where the change was enough to walk away at the end of the their contract. I assume someone purchased those seats so TNSE doesn't really care. But how long can that work?

Long ago with respect to Jets Reward points I referred to them as Club Z points. Not much has changed since I first said that. I'm not looking for perks to be honest as I'm really just there to watch hockey. But it matters to some. Find a balance point where the interests of your customers are met rather than assuming there's a bottomless pit of people that will put up with your crap. Ask Zellers how that worked out.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If you spelled perk backward you'd be closer to what that perk amounts to.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well I've only used electronic entry once, for the sole playoff game I attended (I'm part of a group). Being a bit of a jerk I decided to see if I could get in with screen shots rather than via the app specifically. I had the app ready to go so as to not cause grief to anyone waiting behind us. But I wanted to test the 'security' aspect of the electronic ticketing and it failed miserably, as has been reported by others here previously. Screenshot displayed and swiped for both tickets, scanned perfectly.

So a screenshot can get you access and it is no more difficult (assuming you have a smartphone) to produce than a photocopy of a print at home paper ticket.

As with so many things TNSE isn't really telling the whole truth. Electronic ticketing may be an attempt to fight counterfeiting of tickets but it's a remarkably lame one. It's really an excuse thrown out as a distraction, as happens so much in society now, to gain access to information. "You must have the app". No, not really. You must trust the person you're buying the ticket from. I can save people from having to sign up for a Jets account at least as I can just take a screen shot and send them the image. Now that's not true of the secondary market and from that perspective having a Jets account is indeed another layer of protection if you don't know the individual you are purchasing from. But I think the media and TNSE itself would be broadcasting information like crazy if fake tickets were a huge issue. It happens a couple of times a year I'd guess, not much more. Hardly justification for the change. It's another way to save $$. I already know people where the change was enough to walk away at the end of the their contract. I assume someone purchased those seats so TNSE doesn't really care. But how long can that work?

Long ago with respect to Jets Reward points I referred to them as Club Z points. Not much has changed since I first said that. I'm not looking for perks to be honest as I'm really just there to watch hockey. But it matters to some. Find a balance point where the interests of your customers are met rather than assuming there's a bottomless pit of people that will put up with your crap. Ask Zellers how that worked out.

Yes, a lame security attempt. It would be pretty easy to have printed tickets that were difficult (not impossible) to reproduce. They have saved the cost of printing 'real' tickets and that is what this is really about. Forcing the distribution of their app? Shouldn't be necessary. If the app is any good people will want it.

From what I read here the Jets Rewards are pretty lame too. If you aren't going to have good rewards then don't have a rewards program at all.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
If True North continues to raise prices by 5-7% a year then yes, the team will be in trouble.

My radical idea would be to increase prices by 1-2% a year over the next 4-5 years in line with salary increases for majority of the population. We are almost certainly heading for a recession in the next year. People will be tightening their belts so to speak.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
If True North continues to raise prices by 5-7% a year then yes, the team will be in trouble.

My radical idea would be to increase prices by 1-2% a year over the next 4-5 years in line with salary increases for majority of the population. We are almost certainly heading for a recession in the next year. People will be tightening their belts so to speak.

Yep, the 5-7% increases will ultimately be my undoing as well.

As much as I love the fact we have a team back in Winnipeg, I just don’t have a good feeling we will be able to sustain the momentum. All we need is a few down years and rising ticket prices and people will begin to drop off in droves...I hope I am wrong of course.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Yep, the 5-7% increases will ultimately be my undoing as well.

As much as I love the fact we have a team back in Winnipeg, I just don’t have a good feeling we will be able to sustain the momentum. All we need is a few down years and rising ticket prices and people will begin to drop off in droves...I hope I am wrong of course.

It’s all relative. If the economy has a downturn that will mean it will effect the whole league. Meaning hockey related revenues will drop and so will the cap. If there is a major correction in the economy it will all filter through.

Reactions: Sabadecade

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It’s all relative. If the economy has a downturn that will mean it will effect the whole league. Meaning hockey related revenues will drop and so will the cap. If there is a major correction in the economy it will all filter through.

That the cap will be restrained doesn't necessarily mean TNSE will show restraint on ticket prices. One does not necessarily lead to the other. They've already shown the contrary just this year with the cap not rising as much as expected yet TNSE slipping in an "adjustment" on top of the 5% increase. I wish it worked like you suggest.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
The evolution of my wait list position since I joined in 2012-13:

2012-13 Wait List #2507 (On the list, 2 Seats) – 100$ Fee
2013-14 Wait List #2077 (Up 430 spots) – 100$ in Account
2014-15 Wait List #1882 (Up 195 spots) – 200$ in Account
2015-16 Wait List #1615 (Up 267 spots) – 300$ in Account (~270 loge seats were added)
2016-17 Wait List #1352 (Up 263 spots) – 400$ in Account
2017-18 Wait List #1001 (Up 351 spots) – 500$ in Account
2018-19 Wait List #720 (Up 281 spots) – 600$ in Account
2019-20 Wait List #534 (Up 186 spots) – 700$ in Account

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The evolution of my wait list position since I joined in 2012-13:

2012-13 Wait List #2507 (On the list, 2 Seats) – 100$ Fee
2013-14 Wait List #2077 (Up 430 spots) – 100$ in Account
2014-15 Wait List #1882 (Up 195 spots) – 200$ in Account
2015-16 Wait List #1615 (Up 267 spots) – 300$ in Account (~270 loge seats were added)
2016-17 Wait List #1352 (Up 263 spots) – 400$ in Account
2017-18 Wait List #1001 (Up 351 spots) – 500$ in Account
2018-19 Wait List #720 (Up 281 spots) – 600$ in Account
2019-20 Wait List #534 (Up 186 spots) – 700$ in Account
Any offers this summer?

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
Any offers this summer?

No personal calls or emails to offer anything directly but I did get an email invite to a mass offering for upper deck seats as many other wait listers did.

I also find it interesting that my spot didn't move much considering the mass exodus of STH we seem to be seeing. Then again, I have my preferred seats set to P4 price range and I also already have seats in the Loge so I'm as picky as a wait lister can get. I'm not in a rush to move or buy extra seats and they can likely tell that by my account history.

Perhaps those in front of me on the wait list are similar types.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It should concern TNSE.
Why? Professional sports franchises are easily portable. Houston is sitting on the outside of the NHL as a very rich USA city with the biggest urban population that doesn't have a NHL team. And they have a 17,800 seat arena that is easily configured to hockey. Might be a real nice landing spot if TNSE ever had to unload the Jets because the local market couldn't support them. Probably put a quick 1/2 billion in Chipman and Thomson's pockets. Far more than they and their decedents would make operating the Jets over the next century.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Why? Professional sports franchises are easily portable. Houston is sitting on the outside of the NHL as a very rich USA city with the biggest urban population that doesn't have a NHL team. And they have a 17,800 seat arena that is easily configured to hockey. Might be a real nice landing spot if TNSE ever had to unload the Jets because the local market couldn't support them. Probably put a quick 1/2 billion in Chipman and Thomson's pockets. Far more than they and their decedents would make operating the Jets over the next century.

Yawn. Your continuous assertions that the market continue to pay unreasonably high ticket prices year after year (at inflationary rates high above the actual rate of inflation or annual increases in most persons' salaries) or the team will leave makes me weary. Here's a radical idea - why not have ticket price increases tied to actual inflation at 1-2% per year? Maybe that out-of-the-box thinking is beyond TNSE.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
That the cap will be restrained doesn't necessarily mean TNSE will show restraint on ticket prices. One does not necessarily lead to the other. They've already shown the contrary just this year with the cap not rising as much as expected yet TNSE slipping in an "adjustment" on top of the 5% increase. I wish it worked like you suggest.

When push comes to shove and the cap either ceases to increase or even decreases then you will see ticket prices follow suit. If they don’t then attendances will drop and the slide in hockey related revenues will continue. It does work that way!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yawn. Your continuous assertions that the market continue to pay unreasonably high ticket prices year after year (at inflationary rates high above the actual rate of inflation or annual increases in most persons' salaries) or the team will leave makes me weary. Here's a radical idea - why not have ticket price increases tied to actual inflation at 1-2% per year? Maybe that out-of-the-box thinking is beyond TNSE.
Sorry if it makes you weary. But TNSE will rise prices to stay in step with the business they operate in not the cost of inflation. To think otherwise is naive.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Thinking that business costs rise equally to the rate of inflation shows a lack of understanding of economic theory.

Reactions: KingBogo

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Thinking that business costs rise equally to the rate of inflation shows a lack of understanding of economic theory.
In economic terms, I think we're very close to the point where supply exceeds demand at current STH prices. If prices continue to rise, supply will outstrip demand. This has already happened at face-value prices for all but a few games.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Trading Laine could hurt season ticket interest.
You'd think the business side of things would make trading your most marketable player a bit tricky.

As for the rising costs I've mitigated that by dropping the amount of games I attend slightly. 2 years ago I offered 4 of my tickets to a buddy. So he's in now every year. Him and his wife like to go to a couple of games a year.

Selling tickets from game to game has become very difficult that's why you need expand your group and get people to buy in from the get go.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Do you think TNSE wants to move True North Square to Houston as well?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
In economic terms, I think we're very close to the point where supply exceeds demand at current STH prices. If prices continue to rise, supply will outstrip demand. This has already happened at face-value prices for all but a few games.

This is also likely true, but tying price to inflation isn't the solution.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I would hardly say that franchises are "easily" portable, especially with the infrastructure TNSE has invested around the Bell MTS Centre and the Jets.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not waiting for a ticket, but this just might be a good place to asked since I've never been America or Canada, or seen a live NHL game.

About how much do tickets cost? Season or just one game?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'm not waiting for a ticket, but this just might be a good place to asked since I've never been America or Canada, or seen a live NHL game.

About how much do tickets cost? Season or just one game?
They range from roughly $50 to $150 (at season ticket price levels) per game.
I think face value on the tickets is almost double those numbers.

Reactions: backwards motion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad