Post-Game Talk: Season is over

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There’s other anomalies like having the least pp opertunites going back to the early 80’s, the worst home pk in the history of the game and all 3 of our top 3 D missing serious time and playing injured. This team is not this bad. In spite of all that though. With a 915 save % from our starter we’re over .500 and in the mix. Goaltending is #1. We had the 2nd worst starting goalie in the nhl this year.

"In the mix" is not the same as being a Cup contender. That's my point. We're years away from that and need a serious infusion of talent. Grabbing a potential #1D in this years draft would be huge (assuming they don't ruin the player).

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maybe he should stay in the safe space trade rumours thread lmao. I'm assuming it's you he's referring to?

Not at all. I'm a grown adult. Read through the Game 81 PGT.

The thread got closed. As I said earlier blocking won't work because of the childish demand to dominate every, single thread.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That's why I said *if* he crosses a line. I am well aware of what would be involved in going to an attorney.

It's a ludicrous threat to make that makes you look a lot worse than the guy you're beefing with.

I have said this before and will say this again. When someone is determined to dominate every, single thread to such an extent the block function essentially makes the entire board unreadable. You don't see any of their posts and you don't see any replies. That's apparently half the posts for any thread he chooses to dominate

But then you're only seeing the stuff that you wan to see. What's wrong with that?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No team is "really that bad". Almost every team missing the playoffs other than maybe Buffalo and Arizona can probably say with a few tweaks/better luck they'd make the playoffs. I'm sure St. Louis is saying that, so is Florida, so is Calgary, so is Montreal, so is Chicago ... I mean that's kind of a meaningless base line.

Even Buffalo, I mean heck if Eichel pulls a Taylor Hall next year, who knows.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
"In the mix" is not the same as being a Cup contender. That's my point. We're years away from that and need a serious infusion of talent. Grabbing a potential #1D in this years draft would be huge (assuming they don't ruin the player).
If you expected us to be a cup contender this year that’s your skewed expectations. The team isn’t there yet. We’re still a few years removed from the worst 10 year stretch ever in this league.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If you expected us to be a cup contender this year that’s your skewed expectations. The team isn’t there yet. We’re still a few years removed from the worst 10 year stretch ever in this league.

Bingo. Firing the GM after three seasons sets the team back at least a season yet again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Not sure if that really flies when you see how quickly Pittsburgh and Chicago did. Or Toronto and Winnipeg.

I'm not sure this is a linear process either with the Oilers, that would imply that this team is doing things correctly when really there are plenty of red flag indicating they're basically in a lot of ways starting back at day 0 of a rebuild.

Goaltending, defence, and winger depth are all looking like a team that's just begun their rebuild or in the early stages of it.

But basically that's what I said, they're unlikely to be a real contender for a while and likely are going to blow most of McDavid's age 18-24 year old seasons.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well guys, another season of Oiler incompetence comes to an end with many of the same old frustrations. Now its 200 pages of "draft talk."

Come join us during the Eskimo season for football chat about athletes who are not multi millionaires on a team that is not run by billionaires. The good news is that we have a young GM who seems to be understated but knows what is going on. You might find it refreshing. I think its going to be a good year. See you on the Eskie thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well guys, another season of Oiler incompetence comes to an end with many of the same old frustrations. Now its 200 pages of "draft talk."

Come join us during the Eskimo season for EE chats about athletes who are not multi millionaires on a team that is not run by billionaires. The good news is that we have a young GM who seems to be understated but knows what is going on. You might find it refreshing. I think its going to be a good year. See you on the Eskie thread.

Glad to hear the Esks seem to be going in a good direction with good people at the top. I just unfortunately can't get into the CFL (or even NFL for that matter).

In some ways this would be so much easier if the Oilers didn't have McDavid. If they had lost that lottery and taken Noah Hanifin, it's be easy to just laugh a season like this off and go watch something else.

But they get McDavid, and damn is the kid ever good, and you can't help but be a fan and now you're invested in the team and it just sucks because they continue to mismanage things.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I have no idea what the first part pertains to, it's really odd, you should take a break from the Internet if that's how you're looking at things.

However, my point still stands. You're missing a season in there:

2015-16 70 points - fact
2016-17 103 points - fact
2017-18 78 points - fact

It's not a best-of-three any longer for Chia/TMacT. This is their real, actual record here after three years.

Could they have a magical 8th place finish and squeak in on the last day of the season next year like Colorado? Sure, but I'd rather this team be run by someone/some people capable of making them better than that. You don't, though, and I get that.
You can't rally cont the first season after taking over from past management second year they get 103 points and everyone is starting the parade for this year.it went to the players heads as well as ours as fans and I think that hurt us the most. Teams didn't take us lightly anymore and the oilers as well as fans thought it was going to be easy but they forgot somewhere along the way of how much you have to fight every night to win. Everything went sideways right off the start and everyone's confidence took a huge hit. Next year if they have a bounce back season and can rattle off another 100 point seaso we can maybe say they just had a bad year. I think this team has the ability to get there but not without 110% effort every night. Look no further then Vegas no real superstars just a lot of hard working players

Reactions: oilers'72

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You can't rally cont the first season after taking over from past management second year they get 103 points and everyone is starting the parade for this year.it went to the players heads as well as ours as fans and I think that hurt us the most. Teams didn't take us lightly anymore and the oilers as well as fans thought it was going to be easy but they forgot somewhere along the way of how much you have to fight every night to win. Everything went sideways right off the start and everyone's confidence took a huge hit. Next year if they have a bounce back season and can rattle off another 100 point seaso we can maybe say they just had a bad year. I think this team has the ability to get there but not without 110% effort every night. Look no further then Vegas no real superstars just a lot of hard working players

We obviously got ahead of ourselves last year, but it happens. I think right now they're basically a bubble team for next year. They could make it, but they could miss just as easily. Calgary, St. Louis, Chicago can all say the same "we're just one tweak and some good health away from playoffs".

It's gonna be tough. The main problem is this is a one-line team and as long as they are that, they are gonna be prone to collapses like what happened this year. Teams are just not scared of you if you only have one line they really have to worry about even if it is McDavid's line. The D and goaltending have large question marks too.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Glad to hear the Esks seem to be going in a good direction with good people at the top. I just unfortunately can't get into the CFL (or even NFL for that matter).

In some ways this would be so much easier if the Oilers didn't have McDavid. If they had lost that lottery and taken Noah Hanifin, it's be easy to just laugh a season like this off and go watch something else.

But they get McDavid, and damn is the kid ever good, and you can't help but be a fan and now you're invested in the team and it just sucks because they continue to mismanage things.

I understand the disappointment but look at the mega-stars in sports who never got much of a sniff at titles either. When Hank Aaron played baseball his team was a perennial loser. Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. Even Bobby Orr, for all of his legendary talents only won the Stanley Cup twice when really he should have had six or seven rings. He also had Esposito and an all star cast when the only stiff competition around was the Habs. But so many years it slipped through his fingers.

Look at how long Marcel Dionne toiled for the Kings with nothing to show for it.

Would Mario Lemieux have ever won it if the Pens hadn't drafted Jagr? Maybe, I don't know. The point is that having a single superstar or even two doesn't guarantee anything for anybody.

The thing I love so much about the CFL (despite its obvious flaws) --the boys play for next to nothing, the money isn't guaranteed and the injuries are often horrific. But they still do it and you don't have to worry about 100 million dollar contracts that are passed out to guys who may or may not live up to the hype. When you can't do it anymore you are long gone. In Norm Kimball's day he used to keep bus tickets in his desk. That was your severance and it hasn't changed much.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
We obviously got ahead of ourselves last year, but it happens. I think right now they're basically a bubble team for next year. They could make it, but they could miss just as easily. Calgary, St. Louis, Chicago can all say the same "we're just one tweak and some good health away from playoffs".

It's gonna be tough. The main problem is this is a one-line team and as long as they are that, they are gonna be prone to collapses like what happened this year. Teams are just not scared of you if you only have one line they really have to worry about even if it is McDavid's line. The D and goaltending have large question marks too.
I agree with everything but I also know we're better then we were this year but not as good as last year. We have areas we need to improve in obviously but I also feel by adding a scoring winger and a d-man and the rest of the team playing to there ability were not as far off as everyone might think.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree with everything but I also know we're better then we were this year but not as good as last year. We have areas we need to improve in obviously but I also feel by adding a scoring winger and a d-man and the rest of the team playing to there ability were not as far off as everyone might think.

They don't have the cap room to significantly add both a high impact winger and D man though.

I don't think that's doable this summer. You could maybe do it by losing RNH, but that probably isn't a great idea either. I think we have to hope Yamamoto can have a break out season and quickly becomes a bankable offensive winger.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
If you expected us to be a cup contender this year that’s your skewed expectations.

I'm not talking about this year, am I?

The team isn’t there yet. We’re still a few years removed from the worst 10 year stretch ever in this league.

That's what I've been saying while you were the one implying they could "turn it around"/"be in the mix" with just good goaltending, which I took to mean being a Cup contender.

Bingo. Firing the GM after three seasons sets the team back at least a season yet again.

How so?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

How do first year general managers set the team back a season?

Hmmm. They bring a new vision to the team which means a number of other people get replaced.

All the new people need some time to become familiar with the team. The expectations aren't high for the first year general manager and they are given a free pass to at least get a second year. Marginal improvement is the best they can hope for.

History of the Oilers proves that.

Klowe takes over from Sather and there was a marginal improvement.

The Oilers took a small step back in Tambellini's first year as GM a few points worse than the prior season. Absolutely were not better than KLowe's last year as GM.

In MacT's first season the Oilers took a huge step back. In Tambo's last year they were three points shy of Bettman .500. The first year for MacT they plummeted to tie a franchise low.

Chiarelli did improve the team after the MacT fiasco but the addition of a generational talent played a role. They improved marginally but only had 70 points and there wasn't really a fire Chiarelli bandwagon.

None of those improvements have been more than five points. Do we think the fire Chia crowd will be happy with 83 points from this team next season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Hmmm. They bring a new vision to the team which means a number of other people get replaced.

All the new people need some time to become familiar with the team. The expectations aren't high for the first year general manager and they are given a free pass to at least get a second year. Marginal improvement is the best they can hope for.

Tampa Bay went from missing the playoffs to the conference finals after hiring Stevie Y.

The Hawks replaced Tallon with Bowman in 2009 and promptly won a Cup.

The Pens replaced Shero with Rutherford and won 2 Cups in a row within one season.

I'm sure I could go on and find more examples, but past Oilers history has no bearing on future results should they replace Chia with a competent GM. On-ice results have little to do with the GM and more to do with the team he inherits. But if you want to argue the GM has direct impact on the on-ice results, I think two out of three years out of the playoffs is a pretty big mark against Chiarelli.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke and PGW

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Come join us during the Eskimo season for football chat about athletes who are not multi millionaires on a team that is not run by billionaires. The good news is that we have a young GM who seems to be understated but knows what is going on. You might find it refreshing. I think its going to be a good year. See you on the Eskie thread.
Did they fire their idiot coach?

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

lol. The Eskimos will be a shell of a D this season in addition to losing Bowman, Zylstra, on offense. Situation with that team so abjectly bad I finally pulled out of supporting the club. The new GM and Rhodes are primary reasons to have zero faith in the team. Worse than Chia. Eskimos have lost a ton of players since and are only riding on Hervey fumes. With the firing of Ed Hervey being a disgrace.

oh, and Jason Maas is still coach. Only this year with more key responsibilities including knowing what score it is..(sarcasm)

The only thing I'll miss is Mike Reilly. About the only good thing left about the org.

Reactions: MessierII

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Klowe takes over from Sather and there was a marginal improvement.

The Oilers took a small step back in Tambellini's first year as GM a few points worse than the prior season. Absolutely were not better than KLowe's last year as GM.

In MacT's first season the Oilers took a huge step back. In Tambo's last year they were three points shy of Bettman .500. The first year for MacT they plummeted to tie a franchise low.

Chiarelli did improve the team after the MacT fiasco but the addition of a generational talent played a role. They improved marginally but only had 70 points and there wasn't really a fire Chiarelli bandwagon.

None of those improvements have been more than five points. Do we think the fire Chia crowd will be happy with 83 points from this team next season.

Just bring in someone that's familiar with the organization. Scott Howson will be our next GM...I actually wouldn't bet against it.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
McLellan and Chia are safe for at least another 40 games. Not many moves are going to be made this off-season. We have one of the youngest centre and dcore in the league. The two most valuable positions. I could see us getting a better backup that will challenge Talbot more

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McLellan and Chia are safe for at least another 40 games. Not many moves are going to be made this off-season. We have one of the youngest centre and dcore in the league. The two most valuable positions. I could see us getting a better backup that will challenge Talbot more

Staying the same course as this season for another 40 games next year is only wasting another season. This season was already a completely wasted year.

Todd is MacT level of stupid when it comes to using his goalies, being able to manage them and read if they are off their game. I don't think a better backup will change anything next year.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
lol. The Eskimos will be a shell of a D this season in addition to losing Bowman, Zylstra, on offense. Situation with that team so abjectly bad I finally pulled out of supporting the club. The new GM and Rhodes are primary reasons to have zero faith in the team. Worse than Chia. Eskimos have lost a ton of players since and are only riding on Hervey fumes. With the firing of Ed Hervey being a disgrace.

oh, and Jason Maas is still coach. Only this year with more key responsibilities including knowing what score it is..(sarcasm)

The only thing I'll miss is Mike Reilly. About the only good thing left about the org.

LOL? Well, I think the LOL might apply to anyone who thinks that Brock did a bad job in his first season because he certainly didn't. On the contrary, he has demonstrated some common sense when it comes to free agents etc. How could he possibly be worse than Chia who has demonstrated for a decade that he has no idea what he is doing?

People can whine all they want about Hervey but he is gone so get over it.

Bowman was done and wasn't going to get 250K the way he was playing. No GM in the league was going to keep him on at that price. Zylstra? Well what were they going to do, kidnap the guy and lock him in the showers so he wouldn't go to the NFL?

As for losing a ton of players same thing here in Cowtown. It's the CFL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad