Post-Game Talk: Season is over

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holy hyperbole. Benson's a surefire NHLer barring injury issues, and if you're writing Puljujarvi off already then I don't know what to tell you. Yeah, the Reinhart trade was bad and Barzal is really good, but that, in fact, DOES get touched on. A lot. Too much, even. So I don't see what your point is.

Debrincat is already scoring like 27 goals this year though. I'm not confident either Puljujarvi or Benson are gonna be big time contributors at the NHL level.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Debrincat is already scoring like 27 goals this year though. I'm not confident either Puljujarvi or Benson are gonna be big time contributors at the NHL level.

And that's where we differ - I think Benson will be a good top 6 winger, as will Pulju. We will see.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Since you are a fanboy of my stalker I guess the inability to read posts because of blinding hatred makes sense. Every thread doesn't have to become an attack on management.

I'll explain my post in more depth.

2016-17 103 points - fact
2017-18 78 points - fact
2018-19 95 points? Is it possible?

I was comparing Colorado going from good season to down season to good season. Why can't the Oilers do the same thing?

I have no idea what the first part pertains to, it's really odd, you should take a break from the Internet if that's how you're looking at things.

However, my point still stands. You're missing a season in there:

2015-16 70 points - fact
2016-17 103 points - fact
2017-18 78 points - fact

It's not a best-of-three any longer for Chia/TMacT. This is their real, actual record here after three years.

Could they have a magical 8th place finish and squeak in on the last day of the season next year like Colorado? Sure, but I'd rather this team be run by someone/some people capable of making them better than that. You don't, though, and I get that.

Reactions: PGW

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And that's where we differ - I think Benson will be a good top 6 winger, as will Pulju. We will see.

I hope so, but I don't really see it. Puljujarvi looks a lot like Paajarvi and Yakupov right now. Wouldn't surprise me if Benson is another Caggiula type. They had a chance to hit home runs with the 2015 and 2016 drafts and set this team up for a decade+, instead it feels like we'll be lucky to get a base hit.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
The league is volatile. Look at Winnipeg last year to this if you don’t like the Colorado example. They didn’t change anything. Just got good goaltending and are now cup contenders.

Winnipeg is stacked though.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I have no idea what the first part pertains to, it's really odd, you should take a break from the Internet if that's how you're looking at things.

sigh. So unnecessary.

Why not bring the five seasons before that? I was comparing the Avalanche three season run to what next season could be.

We all know the Oilers weren't very good for the past dozen years excepting last year. I was comparing Colorado's three year up-down-up cycle. Why can't the Oilers do the same.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Over 50% of the teams make the playoffs any given year, just by statistical probability every team should make it at least once every 5 years, lol. Making the playoffs is no big feat and it doesn't signify that you are actually a great team.

If Calgary hires Alain Vingenault they probably sneak in next season. They're not legit either though.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
sigh. So unnecessary.

I just have no idea what that has to do with anything. Who is stalking you? Are they doing it in person? That's not a word to throw around lightly. If it's something like what Karlsson is going through, you should go to the police.

If you're just upset that someone is quoting your posts and/or that I agree with them, well, maybe a break IS in order. It's not healthy to get so worked up about a forum.

Why not bring the five seasons before that?

Because Peter Chiarelli wasn't GM then? I think you knew that, but don't like the picture it paints.

I was comparing the Avalanche three season run to what next season could be.

We all know the Oilers weren't very good for the past dozen years excepting last year. I was comparing Colorado's three year up-down-up cycle. Why can't the Oilers do the same.

Why can't the Oilers be the worst team in modern history one year and then squeak into 8th spot the next? I don't know, maybe they can. But that's not a repeatable thing, and again, I have higher standards. Everyone knows you don't though, so we'll just agree to disagree on the direction Katz should take.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Winnipeg is who I was referencing.

yeah I saw that and tweaked my post. Winnipeg is a bad example. They didn't need to do anything because they were already a good, deep and talented team with almost no weaknesses outside of goaltending. The Oilers are a one line team with poor forward depth, a middling D corps and shaky goaltending (this season at least).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why can't the Oilers be the worst team in modern history one year and then squeak into 8th spot the next? I don't know, maybe they can. But that's not a repeatable thing, and again, I have higher standards. Everyone knows you don't though, so we'll just agree to disagree on the direction Katz should take.

Yeah I think large differences in opinion on this board generally boil down to expectations.

One group is just happy being a bubble team and think from that naturally the team will eventually become a contender.

The other group is expecting a real contending team in the big picture and are concerned that the team has gone completely off the rails in that respect. They've squandered a lot of time, assets, and cap room since April 2015.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I agree with you that Benson is most likely an NHLer but I don't see him being a top 6 player. He'll probably be a useful bottom 6 guy which is fine but this team really needs to start hitting some homeruns in the draft. DeBrincat was a player with a very high ceiling who put up insane numbers in both of his junior years up to that point. Maybe he wasn't a surefire NHLer but there was a very good chance that he'd be a great player. I'd rather the team swing for the fences than take the safe pick every time hoping for some more mediocre third liners.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
yeah I saw that and tweaked my post. Winnipeg is a bad example. They didn't need to do anything because they were already a good, deep and talented team with almost no weaknesses outside of goaltending. The Oilers are a one line team with poor forward depth, a middling D corps and shaky goaltending (this season at least).
Meh goaltending is everything. You can’t win in the Nhl without it. We didn’t get it this year.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Yeah I think large differences in opinion on this board generally boil down to expectations.

One group is just happy being a bubble team and think from that naturally the team will eventually become a contender.

The other group is expecting a real contending team in the big picture and are concerned that the team has gone completely off the rails in that respect. They've squandered a lot of time, assets, and cap room since April 2015.
I have trouble looking at this roster, the prospect pipeline, the cap situation, and the assets available to trade and seeing this team contending any time soon. Even with a competent GM it's going to be really difficult to right the ship. With the current moron in charge we likely see more long-term damage being done this summer. It's probably more likely that McDavid asks for a trade and gets moved in the next 3 years than seeing this team contending for a cup over that same period of time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have trouble looking at this roster, the prospect pipeline, the cap situation, and the assets available to trade and seeing this team contending any time soon. Even with a competent GM it's going to be really difficult to right the ship. With the current moron in charge we likely see more long-term damage being done this summer. It's probably more likely that McDavid asks for a trade and gets moved in the next 3 years than seeing this team contending for a cup over that same period of time.

I don't think it'll come to that, eventually the team will wake up and realize they have made a lot of mistakes.

Unfortunately though there are consequences to that and it probably means that window of opportunity early in McDavid's career is probably blown.

Once they fix the issue of poor management, things will resolve and look up, but it will still probably take a couple of years to fix a lot of the damage done.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Meh goaltending is everything. You can’t win in the Nhl without it. We didn’t get it this year.

This is a truism that says nothing about the state of the Oilers. Back to the Jets comparison: they have three D who'd be the top D man on our team. They have four forwards as good or better than our second best player. Goaltending is not the difference between being the Oilers and being the second best team in the league.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Blowing the 2015 and possibly 2016 drafts I think is something that doesn't get touched on, but effectively instead of walking out with any one of Barzal, Boeser, DeBrincat, Sergachev, or Tkachuk ... we passed on every single one of those guys to get Reinhart (effectively), Puljujarvi, and Benson ... now I mean you can argue the logic behind those picks, but bottom line is the three guys we picked are not helping us win hockey games and probably won't be for a long time, if ever.

If they could've had better picks in those spots they'd be on their way even with some stupid trades, but I think we've had some wonky drafting in 2015/16 plus terrible trades and signings.

It does a number on a franchise. I feel bad for Connor.

Puljiujarvi was a no brainer. Every GM in the league couldn't get to the podium fast enough if he was available at #4. Benson is going to be a good player, he's just a different player then Debrincat. The Reinhart trade was complete garbage from the day it happened.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The anger, hatred and determination to turn every single thread into a diatribe against the GM is just sad and draining. I have no problem calling out the behaviour.

Like I said, if it's draining, you need to step away. It's not worth harming your mental health to stick up for a GM.

If the person stalking me crosses a line I will absolutely contact the authorities or an attorney. Brian Burke won in court in response to inappropriate message board behaviour.

So are they stalking according to the legal definition or are they not? Because you claiming someone is doing that when they aren't is exactly what Burke won his lawsuit over.

It's not healthy to get so worked up about a sports franchise. I have refused to interact with stalky stalker for a week now. Won't quote his posts. Won't post on threads devoted to his crusade against the GM. That is enough for reasonable, decent human beings. Refusing to show a modicum of respect is the stalkerish behaviour.

Yeah, this whole thing is way in your head. Take a breather.

I get people deal with hard times in life, but venting it anonymously to strangers isn't a good solution long term.

On this we can agree.

How exactly does the worst team in modern history 'one year' finish ahead of eight other teams in the league in that year?

They didn't? I mean, you know the Avs had 48 points last year, right? That's what I'm referring to when I say "worst team in modern history".

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Puljiujarvi was a no brainer. Every GM in the league couldn't get to the podium fast enough if he was available at #4. Benson is going to be a good player, he's just a different player then Debrincat. The Reinhart trade was complete garbage from the day it happened.

The net result is not paying dividends though and that's all that matters.

The fact is with the 2015 and 2016 drafts we had a glorious chance to surround McDavid with an incredible core of talent and I think we largely blew it.

We walked out of those drafts without any one of Barzal, Boeser, Tkachuk, Sergachev, or Debrincat, even though we had a chance to select all of them and all of them were rated as reasonable selections at the draft spots we had.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
I don't think it'll come to that, eventually the team will wake up and realize they have made a lot of mistakes.

Unfortunately though there are consequences to that and it probably means that window of opportunity early in McDavid's career is probably blown.

Once they fix the issue of poor management, things will resolve and look up, but it will still probably take a couple of years to fix a lot of the damage done.
Are we sure McDavid will stick around for a couple more years of bottom 10 finishes? I wouldn't blame him at all if he had enough.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with you that Benson is most likely an NHLer but I don't see him being a top 6 player. He'll probably be a useful bottom 6 guy which is fine but this team really needs to start hitting some homeruns in the draft. DeBrincat was a player with a very high ceiling who put up insane numbers in both of his junior years up to that point. Maybe he wasn't a surefire NHLer but there was a very good chance that he'd be a great player. I'd rather the team swing for the fences than take the safe pick every time hoping for some more mediocre third liners.

Benson has been on the NHL radar since he was 12. 1st pick in the WHL bantam draft, holds numerous minor hockey scoring records, he was going to be a stud until all the injuries hit.

Reactions: ujju2

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This is a truism that says nothing about the state of the Oilers. Back to the Jets comparison: they have three D who'd be the top D man on our team. They have four forwards as good or better than our second best player. Goaltending is not the difference between being the Oilers and being the second best team in the league.
There’s other anomalies like having the least pp opertunites going back to the early 80’s, the worst home pk in the history of the game and all 3 of our top 3 D missing serious time and playing injured. This team is not this bad. In spite of all that though. With a 915 save % from our starter we’re over .500 and in the mix. Goaltending is #1. We had the 2nd worst starting goalie in the nhl this year.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The net result is not paying dividends though and that's all that matters.

The fact is with the 2015 and 2016 drafts we had a glorious chance to surround McDavid with an incredible core of talent and I think we largely blew it.

We walked out of those drafts without any one of Barzal, Boeser, Tkachuk, Sergachev, or Debrincat, even though we had a chance to select all of them and all of them were rated as reasonable selections at the draft spots we had.

If Columbus selected JP then I'm pretty sure that one of Tkachuk or Sergachev would have been an Oiler. Debrincat should have been because of his history with Mcdavid but I doubt he was even a thought because of his size. I'm really hoping that JP and Benson are more long term projects.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There’s other anomalies like having the least pp opertunites going back to the early 80’s and all 3 of our top 3 D missing serious time and playing injured. This team is not this bad. In spite of all that though. With a 915 save % from our starter we’re over .500 and in the mix. Goaltending is #1. We had the 2nd worst starting goalie in the nhl this year.

Part of being a good team is dealing with injuries.

This isn't a contest of "how good are you when everything goes 100% your way".

There are going to be injuries next year. Yes, even to the D. Yes, they could likely be serious.

Now what. Do you fold like a cheap tent? That's the question.

A fragile D in front of a fragile goalie is not a great combination either. You're just asking for something to go wrong.

Actual good teams are good even when things don't go great for them.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Part of being a good team is dealing with injuries.

This isn't a contest of "how good are you when everything goes 100% your way".

There are going to be injuries next year. Yes, even to the D. Yes, they could likely be serious.

Now what. Do you fold like a cheap tent? That's the question.

A fragile D in front of a fragile goalie is not a great combination either. You're just asking for something to go wrong.

Actual good teams are good even when things don't go great for them.
You don’t go from the worst D in the nhl by a country mile to deep enough to withstand losing your top 3 guys for huge chunks and not being phased in a couple of years. Few teams are that deep. We’re years away from that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad