Player Discussion Sean Monahan

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don’t know . I think he got you. Monahan has a career ending injury
This bet was made after it was known that Monahan was injured...

But honestly I don't even think it's the injuries that are really holding him back. His skating looks better than it has in years, he's just not getting setup like he used to, and I think it's effected his confidence.

If I'm Calgary I try him on the wing with either Backlund or Jarnkrok. Give him a chance to play an easier position.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Coleman - Backlund - Mangiapane
Monahan - Jarnkrok - Toffoli
Lucic - Carpenter - Dube
Lewis

Reactions: DFF

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
This bet was made after it was known that Monahan was injured...

But honestly I don't even think it's the injuries that are really holding him back. His skating looks better than it has in years, he's just not getting setup like he used to, and I think it's effected his confidence.

If I'm Calgary I try him on the wing with either Backlund or Jarnkrok. Give him a chance to play an easier position.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Coleman - Backlund - Mangiapane
Monahan - Jarnkrok - Toffoli
Lucic - Carpenter - Dube
Lewis
I'd look at something like that too, or really anything that involves Monahan on the wing. It's crazy to me that he hasn't done anything away from centre this season, or last year when he had 1-2 games on Ryan's wing. He's got such a long run as a centre this season and has been mostly ineffective. His path into the top 9 is blocked by 4 better centres (if an opening appears, Ruzicka would be called up imo), and you can make a fair argument he and Lewis/Lucic have no chemistry so he really needs to be off of a grind-y 4th line.

Like, it feels clear he isn't built for a 4th line mindset/role, and he can't be a top 9 centre, so why not throw a Hail mary that he can do something from the wing to build off some of the strong games he has had this season?

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan obviously hasn’t been performing and Sutter has given him lots of opportunities to have success. But the writing was on the wall when this team traded for Jarnkrok. I think Sean’s body is so broken down, if he’s scratched it’s obviously partly due to performance but I think the Flames are also limiting what they’re asking him to physically due for health reasons.

Either way, this is a really sad thing to witness for such a young player.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
True but what kind of player do you think he can be?
A complimentary middle six offensive piece if slotted appropriately. I can't think of a time (outside of a game or two) where one of Milan Lucic or Trevor Lewis weren't slotted alongside Monahan this season. These are not players that can or will compliment Sean's greatest assets. Pretty much any statistic available will back that up - and certainly the eye test too. I don't think Whiskey's suggestion of moving him to the wing is a bad idea at all at this point.
Monahan obviously hasn’t been performing and Sutter has given him lots of opportunities to have success. But the writing was on the wall when this team traded for Jarnkrok. I think Sean’s body is so broken down, if he’s scratched it’s obviously partly due to performance but I think the Flames are also limiting what they’re asking him to physically due for health reasons.

Either way, this is a really sad thing to witness for such a young player.
Is that honestly true though? I am by no means crapping on Sutter here (can't question what he has done), but Sean Monahan has not sniffed a top six role for the entirety of the season. His three most common linemates (by a mile) are Lucic, Lewis and Dube. Prior to the Toffoli acquisition he was also statistically the most productive forward on the top PP unit. He now finds himself completely off special teams all together. Sean Monahan is a misfit on this roster but I just don't buy that he's not a capable and productive NHL forward when slotted appropriately. Obviously that won't be here in Calgary under Sutter, but this is reminiscent of Bennett's inability to find an appropriate role.

I maintain that he absolutely still has the hockey iq and offensive game to compliment high skill players in this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I feel bad for Sean. He's been such a professional throughout this whole process and has been willing to fill any role. Unfortunately he's just not that good.

He'll likely get bought out in the summer and get a fresh short term deal somewhere else.

I am feeling pretty good about that bet I made with @Ledge And Dairy last year though....
Maybe in Philly with Gaudreau on his wing again....;)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A complimentary middle six offensive piece if slotted appropriately. I can't think of a time (outside of a game or two) where one of Milan Lucic or Trevor Lewis weren't slotted alongside Monahan this season. These are not players that can or will compliment Sean's greatest assets. Pretty much any statistic available will back that up - and certainly the eye test too. I don't think Whiskey's suggestion of moving him to the wing is a bad idea at all at this point.

Is that honestly true though? I am by no means crapping on Sutter here (can't question what he has done), but Sean Monahan has not sniffed a top six role for the entirety of the season. His three most common linemates (by a mile) are Lucic, Lewis and Dube. Prior to the Toffoli acquisition he was also statistically the most productive forward on the top PP unit. He now finds himself completely off special teams all together. Sean Monahan is a misfit on this roster but I just don't buy that he's not a capable and productive NHL forward when slotted appropriately. Obviously that won't be here in Calgary under Sutter, but this is reminiscent of Bennett's inability to find an appropriate role.

I maintain that he absolutely still has the hockey iq and offensive game to compliment high skill players in this league.
Opportunity 5on5, not so much this season. But he has been given quality PP time, I really think the Flames are making a conscious effort to manage his workload for health reasons.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I mean, he did get Toffoli for like, what, 9 games and that line looked like absolute dog shit.

I think Monahan could carve out a career as being the third guy in on a skilled line; know what I mean?
Lindholm type centre that can play two-ways, elite RW, and Sean Monahan that can just play his game... find quiet ice, disappear for the entire game yet still have a GWG somehow. Or as the centre of a team that has a couple elite playmaking wings they could shoe horn him in.

The issue is what the net positive and negative is.

Look, I'll be honest and say I've never been a Monahan fan. You can roll the tape back to 2012/2013 when I was posting here and you can see that I really didn't think he was the player you could build a franchise around in a major franchise defining year. I won't lie about it. My thing with his game, is and has always been 'at what cost'. He was scoring 30 goals a season with Calgary, Johnny was breaking into the league... and yet he always sat around 50% GF%, and hovered between mid 40's and low 50's in xGF%. So, he can produce, but he gives as much and he takes.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I don’t know. At this point, he can’t play bottom 6 because he is slow with no energy, can’t clear the zone and provides no toughness.
Can’t play top/middle 6 because he can’t get open, can’t shoot, can’t carry the puck and can’t make plays consistently

A great play making center might help but you would be wasting your great center on guy like him.

He is basically a minimum salary single digit scorer that provides nothing else

I mean the Flames is thinking Ryan Carpenter may be a better option….it can’t get worse than that lol

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
There was that story in 2018 or something when Treliving revealed that Monahan screened his calls and ignored his texts for a week after he got shut down due to injury once we were mathematically elimimated from a playoff spot with like 5 games to go.

I remember often getting into debates here about whether he should be playing through his littany of injuries just because he got cleared by the medical staff to do so... as if that's such a vote of confidence in hockey.

I was never a huge believer in Monahan as a #1 or even #2C but he was a quality goalscorer at least. Now he's out of the top 6, off the PP, the team-worst plus/minus player, not trusted on the PK after a few cameos last year. He's probably as sure of his identity on the team as the fans are (Sam Bennett??).

Treliving got really lucky that Sutter saved him from the guillotine. This man has little idea how to properly manage a hockey team, whether it be hiring the right coaches, pro scouting, managing in-house talent.

The train was 100 miles away and yet we still couldn't out of the way in time.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I do have to wonder how much better Monahan could be now if he was separated from Gaudreau earlier. He would've had a lesser peak, but at the same time if he was demanded to learn a 200 ft game with dimensions more than scoring, how much easier would this injury transition be? Not to say that the idea to move him from Gaudreau would be purely in the case of "what if he gets hurt," but how much harder is it for him to adjust to an entirely new play style while also re-learning a lot of skating/shooting due to too much surgery.

Let's be honest, people on this very forum were predicting this level of drop off (receipts are even in this thread) and part of it is that the dependence on Gaudreau was symbiotic to a degree, but much more parasitic on Monahan's end. Gaudreau certainly got a lot of assists on Monahan scoring, but what exactly did he provide outside of that (say, compared to Lindholm) that could've been mutually beneficial. People saw and said that he needs to be away from Gaudreau because he is dependent on him, but since he was scoring it just never got seriously picked up.

It's a hindsight take to say he should've been moved off earlier because of how he would adjust to injury, but I feel it's entirely reasonably to say the team and Monahan were predicted long ago to be better off with him separated from Gaudreau well before the injuries sprang up. Maybe it's a symptom of the Flames only having Backlund as a capable centre for so long (of players they'd actually use at centre) but the fact the Flames showed such little creativity or foresight is a major part of where we're at now.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I do have to wonder how much better Monahan could be now if he was separated from Gaudreau earlier. He would've had a lesser peak, but at the same time if he was demanded to learn a 200 ft game with dimensions more than scoring, how much easier would this injury transition be? Not to say that the idea to move him from Gaudreau would be purely in the case of "what if he gets hurt," but how much harder is it for him to adjust to an entirely new play style while also re-learning a lot of skating/shooting due to too much surgery.

Let's be honest, people on this very forum were predicting this level of drop off (receipts are even in this thread) and part of it is that the dependence on Gaudreau was symbiotic to a degree, but much more parasitic on Monahan's end. Gaudreau certainly got a lot of assists on Monahan scoring, but what exactly did he provide outside of that (say, compared to Lindholm) that could've been mutually beneficial. People saw and said that he needs to be away from Gaudreau because he is dependent on him, but since he was scoring it just never got seriously picked up.

It's a hindsight take to say he should've been moved off earlier because of how he would adjust to injury, but I feel it's entirely reasonably to say the team and Monahan were predicted long ago to be better off with him separated from Gaudreau well before the injuries sprang up. Maybe it's a symptom of the Flames only having Backlund as a capable centre for so long (of players they'd actually use at centre) but the fact the Flames showed such little creativity or foresight is a major part of where we're at now.
Would have been a lot better than he is today. Read his scouting report on his draft year. There were a lot to like.

I think he got lazy feasting on Johnny’s and failed to develop the rest of his game. That contributed much more than injuries IMO. Many players recovered from much worse injuries. Kucherov, Pastnak… all had hip surgeries.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
This organization has bad tunnel vision. They love to pigeon hole players into certain roles.

Monahan is and has always been a one dimensional goal scoring winger. Not a center but a winger than can take draws. And another organization is going to recognize that, put him on wing and watch him rebound to 20 goals again.

Anyways, it looks like healthy scratch Sean Monahan is going to be a recurring theme down the stretch

Either Sutter's admitting gross incompetence on his part or he's just shielding Monahan by not throwing him under the bus

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This organization has bad tunnel vision. They love to pigeon hole players into certain roles.

Monahan is and has always been a one dimensional goal scoring winger. Not a center but a winger than can take draws. And another organization is going to recognize that, put him on wing and watch him rebound to 20 goals again.

Anyways, it looks like healthy scratch Sean Monahan is going to be a recurring theme down the stretch

Either Sutter's admitting gross incompetence on his part or he's just shielding Monahan by not throwing him under the bus

Guessing they were attempting to trade him, which is very hard to do if the guy is getting scratched in favor of guys like Ruzicka. Now that the deadline has passed it's probably less of a concern.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Well we know there was gross incompetence because the guy couldn't walk and yet played for several more months. This manage group is an absolute joke

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I heard this interview today and it was pretty much backs up what I was saying. Yes he’s struggled, but I think the Flames are reducing his workload and assignments because of everything he’s been through and to maintain his overall health. The result is a less productive player that is playing tentative.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
It's not like Money has been playing huge amount of minutes on the fourth line for the last couple months.

I've said it for the last 3-4 years that we should be selling high on Money. Never held any ill will towards him, he consistently put up 30 goal seasons, but you knew it was because of who he was playing with. I always thought of him as a poor man's Dany Heatley. It was more out of necessity that he was our 1C as we didn't have anyone else and couldn't acquire anyone else. He's also suffered the worst types of injuries for a hockey player: wrists and hips.

It's a damn shame though. It's tough to see a kid we drafted, developed and really produced as a cornerstone of the team decline so rapidly at his age. He's a rare success story for the Flames drafting and development staff.. Play him with elite playmakers and he should still be a 20 goal guy, wherever he ends up.

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
FInished player. I think even at the peak of his powers he was overrated amongst Flames fans. Great finisher in tight, but he was never a 2-way center and he wasn't much of a puck carrier either. He lost that shot and half a stride and it was GG.

If he can be traded for a minor asset it's a huge win for the org, he isn't very good anymore.

Reactions: Tofveve

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
No matter what, I'll always be a fan of Monahan for his heart. He's pretty dumb to try to play through what he has, but absolutely nobody can question this man's heart and dedication. For an organization that, in my opinion, has had a lot of country club complacency the past decade, for whatever faults he has, it's clear Monahan has never once given anything less than anything he has, and I'm proud a guy like him has spent so much time representing our city

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
No matter what, I'll always be a fan of Monahan for his heart. He's pretty dumb to try to play through what he has, but absolutely nobody can question this man's heart and dedication. For an organization that, in my opinion, has had a lot of country club complacency the past decade, for whatever faults he has, it's clear Monahan has never once given anything less than anything he has, and I'm proud a guy like him has spent so much time representing our city

I dunno man. I've seen him backcheck :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I agree he's a likeable guy and I'll root for Sean the person the rest of what I still hope is a long career. If the cost to move him is prohibitive (not too keen to be moving 2023 draft picks or taking on similar cap dumps) and we can free up space elsewhere I'd be on board for a Monahan redemption season. If healthy I believe he can still be a useful player.

If not and he moves on, happy trails and good luck to #7 on the franchise all time goal scoring list.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00