Player Discussion Sean Monahan

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just curious to hear your thoughts on our young #1C's season so far.

Positives
-much improved on Faceoffs, must of worked hard on it over the offseason
-Point Production, still produces fairly well albeit on the lower end side of a 1C(obviously still young)
-PP composure, doesn't panic with the puck and is getting better at finding open ice
-Net Presence, one of our better forwards at getting the puck to the net and then following up
-Along the boards, he's improved comparative to last season, although I wouldn't count it as a strong aspect of his game
-Usually willing to take the shot when he has it, which we need more of
-Offensive Instincts, gets up the ice in a hurry when theres a chance for a fast break or an odd man rush
-Learning of the Center position, has improved as far as being where he should be, plays a very "efficient" game and supports the puck well

Negatives
-Play in the D zone, still see him "waving" at guys far too often, relies too much on his defencemen to get the puck out, gets hemmed in sometimes against other teams top lines
-Speed, don't think he'll ever be the fastest guy, but goes through periods of looking winded and overwhelmed with the minutes he's getting
-Not enough of a catalyst, has taken a step back this year IMO as far as creating chances for himself, too often differs to Johnny or TJ to make things happen, his rookie year he scored 22 goals mostly on his own volition so he certainly has the ability, turning into a bit of a "triggerman" and would like to see him take charge more often and create more as this is IMO the biggest responsibility of a 1C
-Zone Entries, tries to make a cute pass too much rather than going wide or cutting to the slot and firing a shot, needs to simplify.. he's not a playmaker of Gaudreau's caliber. Just get it deep
-Physicality, doesn't need to be running guys over but finish your checks! He's got a pretty big frame and could use it more often especially on the forecheck

Generally I've been pleased with his play for the most part, but still leaves a lot to be desired in some games. Personally see him as an ideal 2C but there's certainly room for improvement as he's only 21. Amazing he's been able to handle the minutes and responsibilities so well up to this point and I think part of why he's been a minor letdown for me this season is the Flames not being able to find a RW to play with that line consistently. If we got a James Neal, Wayne Simmonds, JVR type big body physical RW to play with that line I think it could be one of the more productive lines in the league.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's been ok, but he needs to be a lot better.

He was on the same pace at this time last year, except playing tougher minutes with Jones and Glencross as his linemates. If that doesn't show he's taken a step back I don't know what does.

moon*

I think it would be amazing (but unlikely) to have him as our #2 c.

I guess I could see a situation where in some people's outdated view of what a #1, 2, 3 and 4 line is that he would be considered a 2nd line center with a Bennett-Gaudreau line being the primary offensive line but I still think Monahan would be right there or higher in ice time and key situations with Bennett considering he would likely be the top match-up for other teams top lines, plus PK and PP time he would get.

I don't see the defensive issues that you do. He is hampered alot by playing with defensive zeroes in Gaudreau and Hudler/Jones for the most part. I think if he didn't have to be the lone forward responsible in his own zone he would look much better.

I would be interested in seeing him without Gaudreau. Gaudreau obviously has the puck more often than not and if Brodie and/or Wideman are on the ice that is another two puck hogs as well. I think that Monahan would benefit from being able to control the puck/play more but doesn't really get much of a chance.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Something happened during the first round against Vancouver last year. Weirdly, to both he and Hudler. They disappeared completely against Anaheim. Monahan's returned better than Jiri but who knows if part of that is due having a longer leash being a young Canadian 1C (you know what I mean). That line was the best line in hockey for a month or two. They weren't bad earlier in that season either. And then mid-point during the Vancouvet series, "poof" gone. Johnny continued, shouldering things alone. I called out injuries. There was brutal cross-check on Jiri. Anyway, I'm sad that neither has had that return to brilliance. Monahan moreso but still a bit shy of his potential.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think he's a reason why we could really push for Drouin as having a pure set-up guy to his left side might keep him going at the same pace he does with Johnny; while giving us the option of putting 2 real high end skill guys who can move the puck through all 3 zones together.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think he's a reason why we could really push for Drouin as having a pure set-up guy to his left side might keep him going at the same pace he does with Johnny; while giving us the option of putting 2 real high end skill guys who can move the puck through all 3 zones together.

I agree. We need Drouin's skill as much as any team in the league. But I would put him on the top line. I think the second line is great for matching up against the other top lines. Plus, I feel like the other teams key in on Gaudreau and Monahan, they really miss the triple threat Hudler provided last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kind of a disappointing year for Monny so far. He's getting better at the things he needs to (defensively, faceoffs); still not an elite talent, probably will never be. I think, as most rational folks at the draft were saying, he is a safe pick. An excellent 1B or elite 2 guy for a long time; that'll be a leader down the road... He's not a great playmaker, but he has an excellent shot and finds lanes well.

More confidence would do him good.

The defence will come. He'll never be a Toews or Bergeron, but he'll be a reliable guy who can take the tough assignments. I think he'll start using that body more; he's a big dude, but you wouldn't know it from how he plays.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He's definitely improved offensively, but I'm awaiting the whole "Toews lite" two-way thing we were all anticipating. He could also stand to continue improving offensively, since he relies so heavily on his teammates to help him create offence.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The good: He plays a lot like an Eric Staal/Jordan Staal hybrid.

The bad: He plays a lot like an Eric Staal/Jordan Staal hybrid.

Monahan can definitely still be a number one centre down the road. But for a legitimate cup contending team, he'd be better off as the 1B centre with a more dynamic offensive centre being the 1A. Hoping Bennett can be that 1A centre but Matthews would certainly by an acceptable substitute.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
30-30, big, good at Faceoffs, seems like an awesome player.

IMO, he's getting a hard time this year because he gets compared to Johnny so much, Johnny took an astronomical leap whereas Money is hitting the "wall" he was supposed to hit last year. Give it time, adjusting to a real #1 C isn't exactly an easy task.

He's gotten way better at Faceoffs, and noticeably bigger and stronger. I think this is an adjustment season, I still have him pegged as AT LEAST a 30-30 guy, with or without Johnny (he scored 20 as a rookie without). Which is a #1 center in today's NHL.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think he'll continue to round out his game as he gets older eventually becoming a Bergeron type player, he will never be as good defensively as bergeron (no one is) but I think he will still become a good defensive center. Also obviously he won't get as many points without Johnny but he was still pacing at around 50 points playing with Glencross and Jones those are high end second line numbers.

Last edited:

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
30-30, big, good at Faceoffs, seems like an awesome player.

IMO, he's getting a hard time this year because he gets compared to Johnny so much, Johnny took an astronomical leap whereas Money is hitting the "wall" he was supposed to hit last year. Give it time, adjusting to a real #1 C isn't exactly an easy task.

He's gotten way better at Faceoffs, and noticeably bigger and stronger. I think this is an adjustment season, I still have him pegged as AT LEAST a 30-30 guy, with or without Johnny (he scored 20 as a rookie without). Which is a #1 center in today's NHL.

This exactly. We're writing him off at age 20. We're excited about the fast and flashy Johnny and Bennett, and then look at Monahan and aren't as excited because that's not his game. This team will eventually need him as much as Boston needs Bergeron.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm probably stating the obvious but given Dougie signed long-term after his ELC, I'm guessing they both get similar deals, maybe johnny gets 7 mill.
I think they will get 13 combined Johnny getting a bit more over 8 years and Mon Seanahan 7 years

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You guys know he's almost exactly where he was at this point last year right?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He seems just too nonchalant about everything from what I've seen. Too many plays have been dying on his stick.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Another thing is last year Monahan was heavily reliant on the powerplay. This year he has actually increased his Even strength scoring, it's his powerplay scoring that's down which makes sense due to our powerplay being so bad this year.

May 27, 2012
Earth
You guys know he's almost exactly where he was at this point last year right?

Yeah, but this was around when the entire top line slowly picked up and went on a tear. The only player of the 3 doing work right now is Gaudreau. Last season I don't think either of them would have done what they did without each other. Now, Gaudreau seems to be the only one who took a step forward while the other 2 stayed the same or regressed.

Monahan and Hudler haven't been great if they are not on Gaudreau's line. I think Monahan is a 50-60 point center. Not that there is anything wrong with that. We will then have Bennett who will most likely surpass him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We should also ignore that around this time he was lined up with Johnny and Hudler. No where he can really go this year, already playing with the best we have.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It was around this time last year that the Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler line was put together and subsequently took off. As mentioned, that line has been no where near as effective this season, and I think a big part of the reason why is Monahan and Hudler deciding to just watch the Johnny Hockey show (along with the rest of us) while playing a lot more passively.

He's 21. Lots of time to improve but I'd hope the Flames encourage him to play less like the Stall's and more like Kopitar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad