Confirmed with Link: Sean Durzi traded to Arizona

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
seandurzi1.jpg

That's out of 107 defensemen in the playoffs with at least 20min TOI. Durzi the 3RD WORST in relative xG%.

HE WAS TERRIBLE.

And don't forget this gem from the previous season's playoffs in game 7:

And that's despite being very sheltered, with a 60.7 offensive zone start percentage. The only defensemen in the bottom 10 of that list with more o zone starts than d zone starts were Kings defensemen.

1. Holl 27.9 oZS%
2. Forbort 29.5 oZS%
3. Durzi 60.7 oZS%
4. DeMelo 47.6 oZS%
5. Mayfield 46.4 oZS%
6. Walker 61.1 oZS%
7. Lindell 23.6 oZS%
8. Edler 56.3 oZS%
9. Ceci 42.6 oZS%
10. Cole 44.4 oZS%

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And that's despite being very sheltered, with a 60.7 offensive zone start percentage. The only defensemen in the bottom 10 of that list with more o zone starts than d zone starts were Kings defensemen.

1. Holl 27.9 oZS%
2. Forbort 29.5 oZS%
3. Durzi 60.7 oZS%
4. DeMelo 47.6 oZS%
5. Mayfield 46.4 oZS%
6. Walker 61.1 oZS%
7. Lindell 32.2 oZS%
8. Edler 56.3 oZS%
9. Ceci 42.6 oZS%
10. Cole 44.4 oZS%
That says a lot.

Reactions: Choralone

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
Just lost our best offensive defenseman for a second, nice move Rob Blake.

Dought has triply screwed this franchise. Sucks up $11M, wins shit while doing so. Best thing he does is get injured, allowing the Kings to return to the playoffs unexpectedly because a guy named Durzi outperforms him after not even being expected to play a minute in the NHL that season.

So Durzi screws up and earns close to $2M, which wasn’t part of dummy Blake’s plan. Now we are hoping for old Doughty and 9 goal Roy to compete in the west. And Clarke is supposed to be the savior after not scoring a goal in 9 games last year.

Kings fans will suck the koolaid down faster than a man stuck in the desert for 40 days.
I thought Doughty won two Stanley Cups?

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
I like Durzi. He was a good offensive Dman. However, the Kings got Spence AND Clarke on RD. I thing Clarke is gonna be special. It did clear up 1.7 million in cap space. An early second round pick could be a very good pick next year. You got to value your high draft picks. Wasn’t Kavilef an early second round pick. I think this move is a precursor to something bigger coming soon.

FeartheFur

Jul 15, 2018
There sure is a lot of buzz about PLD and the Kings lately. Plus, the Kings sure have some really big trades with Columbus in the past. Carter, Gavorik, and the big trade last year…

Something is ip

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Message to Rob Blake: Be Better, aspiring to mediocrity is a dead end street.

Just say you’re fine being a fan win or lose, good or bad. If you don’t really care that the franchise is a champion or not, cool. But don’t expect others to buy into your obsession with mediocrity.

I openly say I'm more than willing to let things play out, however they do, because I have zero control over what the Kings do. I'm not going to make myself nuts by flatly disagreeing with any move they make, the moment they make it. If they want to try and win another one for Kopitar and Doughty, even though they have no chance of doing so, other than not watching, I have no say in that choice. I'll watch as the ship burns. If it takes another 5 years until they start a real rebuild, then it takes another 5 years until they start a real rebuild. Maybe watching the Kings win the Cup ruined me, but whatever road they choose is the road they choose. They can fire Blake today, I don't care.

Anyway, the Muzzin trade did not include a 2nd rd pick in 2024, so it has nothing to do with the trade today.

Ok. Great trade at the time.

It's it good now?

If I buy a house below market but then the market tanks further where I'm upside down, was it still a great buy during the time when I'm underwater?

This means nothing can ever happen, because things might go bad. Might as well not have a franchise, because you can't draft, trade, or sign anyone, since you might get the wrong guy in any or all of those scenarios.

homer-simpson-never-try.gif

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Just stopping by to ask - do you think freeing up cap space from the Durzi trade is a precursor to acquiring PLD?

Well uhh…Durzi made 1.7 million on the cap so that’s a lot less than 4 million you might be thinking.

But with the Cal Peterson trade, Durzi trade, potentially another winter trade…maybe?

Time will tell.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just stopping by to ask - do you think freeing up cap space from the Durzi trade is a precursor to acquiring PLD?
Maybe. But I'm a bit skeptical.

The Kings are still short on cap space, and we needed to free up a RHD spot. That's likely the main reason.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Happy with the trade. It’s fair to good value and frees up that roster spot.

Whilst I’ve wanted Durzi gone for a while I will give him some credit. He was given an opportunity and took it, he’s worked hard and tried to do what was asked. I believe he always gave his best effort and that is all I expect of every player. I wish him well.

Yeah, the guy nobody thought would see much NHL time ended up finding a way to stay and win a job. Best of luck to him in ARZ.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Durzi was an absolute tire fire in his own zone from game one, didn’t improve in any sort of metric all year, and showed none of the moxy this season that made him so beloved last season.

I wish him all the best, because he was a breath of fresh air last year, but the kings aren’t winning shit in the post season with him taking a regular shift. This is a move that had to be made. 100%

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
TBF to him, I think Durzi has 50+ point potential. Which is great for a Dman. But it wasn't going to happen here. He needs to be in the right situation.

His fair market value is a 2nd round pick.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I came to see if I was crazy thinking he sucks, seems like I'm the only coyote fan that doesn't like this trade. You guys being glad to be rid of him is not reassuring me hahaha.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I came to see if I was crazy thinking he sucks, seems like I'm the only coyote fan that doesn't like this trade. You guys being glad to be rid of him is not reassuring me hahaha.
I think the GM did a Billy Beane (ie trading a guy the coach played too much).. Durzi was slotted at 2LD and PK most of the season.. one of the worst long term deployment decisions in the history of the NHL. Now if he's sheltered at 3RD and is your PP2 QB - he is decent value at 1.7m. He has a great attitude. Will stick up for teammates. He's prone to the idiot gaffe on a fairly regular basis.. but its because he is aggressive offensively - which also has its upside.

Reactions: Bandit and tny760

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Wasn’t Kavilef an early second round pick. I think this move is a precursor to something bigger coming soon.
Arty was visibly bummed out to not be drafted in the 1st round. It was evident during the 1st round and especially when the 1st round came to a close.

He was selected 33rd OA but #2 on draft Day 2.

There sure is a lot of buzz about PLD and the Kings lately. Plus, the Kings sure have some really big trades with Columbus in the past. Carter, Gavorik, and the big trade last year…

usatsi_20381286.jpg

I'm not a mind reader here, but I think he's saying, 'Yo, FearTheFur - I ain't on f***ing #Lumbus anymore!'

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If deployed correctly he can probably be a useful player.

He needs to be on the right side, bottom pairing, partnered with a good stay at home defensive dman, and used as the QB on your number 1 PP unit.

Todd McLellan wanted to use him as an all purpose defensemen. He emphasized the weak aspects of his game, while neutering what was good about him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad