Sean Couturier Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I've been on O&B since around 2002. I joined hfboards not long after, but no one ever told me to avoid the main boards and to just come to this board so I mostly stayed away. I also think I had some posting restrictions for reasons I never understood.

The conversation at O&B dried up a few years back and now I mostly just hang out here. I still check O&B but the activity level means reading all the posts for a day in under a few minutes.

I lurked over there from 2000 until 2015 - I just couldn't watch many of our games for long stretches during that time, so almost every single one of my posts was about the 1987 team. My post total on there is still under 100, I think. I just didn't know about this board at all, or I would have joined ages ago. I had heard about HF of course, but I only knew about the articles and stuff. It's not easy being this thick and dimwitted, but it worked out in the end.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Nailed this one, which was the last thread I started there. Look at that last f***ing sentence. :laugh:

We should allow our team to suck for a year.

10-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Just what the title says. They need to rebuild this thing. They need to cut a lot of the veteran dead weight on this team and just allow the young guys to grow with each other for awhile. They also need to get the right set of complimentary players.

They don't hit very much. I didn't see the entire third period, but they shouldn't have worried about scoring, rather they should have worried about finishing every single check and they didn't do that.

I'd rather suck for this year, get a good draft pick, jettison a lot of the veterans, re-tool with the right set of free agents, and then come back swinging for next season. I don't want to get caught in the Rangers trap of trying to buy (or trade youth) your way out of suckitude. Watching teams like Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Buffalo indicates you have to be patient and let your kids grow into their roles.

What really annoys me is how good Pitt is going to be for the next ten years. That's really galling.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Thats right now I remember.

What a *****e-lord.

He was the original contrarian. I'm not even joking - he was contrarian a long, long, long time before people were using the expression casually like they are now. That guy could get in an argument with a blade of grass over whether or not it was going to rain. Utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He was the original contrarian. I'm not even joking - he was contrarian a long, long, long time before people were using the expression casually like they are now. That guy could get in an argument with a blade of grass over whether or not it was going to rain. Utterly ridiculous.

Yup there would not be ONE topic he would ever agree with anyone on and unlike our resident contrarians, he did it with unbridled arrogance. He quite literally drove me away from that place.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I had a lot of fun on O&B. It served its purpose. This board got better when goofballs like Jester left forever in flames.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
My first experiences with both Meltzer & Eklund were on other boards. I've been actively posting on this forum since the late 90's. I think I first ran into Meltzer on orangeandblack.net. Eklund I definitely first heard of on orangeandblack.net (it's still up! haven't posted there in well over a decade I think) as this rumor guru who had inside knowledge of Flyers trades. I then witnessed him getting destroyed and ruthlessly mocked on another board, maybe flyersphans? There was a project even back then, just as he started getting widespread attention, to show that he was full of ****, tracing the actual first source of every trade he "broke".

It's funny how all of that feels so recent and yet, Striiker would still have been in diapers.
I met Bill Meltzer and Dave Kilgore when I visited Philly in '98. Bill was one of the first people doing nightly summaries of games, along with Dave and Mike Barr in the infancy of the internet on the ancient usenet group alt.hockey.nhl.philadelphia-flyers message board in, I'm guessing, 1995 or '96.

I would go there daily to read the detailed summaries of all the games before the newspapers were online. Then Mike Barr started the O&B board, then turned it over to Ogie. It went downhill after he left (and then passed away tragically) because RevBully/Anth was just too combative to be a owner/moderator. Bill was working in corp comms at the time and was hoping to turn his articles into a living. He started getting some freelance work and a full time gig. I could not be more proud and respectful of him for achieving his dream of making a living writing about the Flyers - and now the Alumni too. Cheers, Bill.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I came here from Hockeybuzz, always read Bill's articles there. I am still pretty young (30), but started there when I was around early 20ies, I got a lot of information from Bill and the posters on his boards. When I first started, people were very knowledgeable and there was a lot of healthy discussions on the team and hockey in general. I the last couple years, a lot of the knowledgeable posters have left. There still are some good people over there posting, but most of the discussions turn into pissing matches. I am liking this site so far. A lot of fun commentary and good hockey discussions.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
So if this site ever died forever, where would everyone go??

This is the only one I go on and would hate to lose you bastards.

:laugh:

You know what's funny, I have thought of this before and thought we should have our Twitter IDs somewhere so we can contact each other in case of a site emergency or collapse or something. But then I asked myself "Why are you acting like Ernest Borgnine in a 1970s disaster movie? Calm the **** down." Also, I don't Twit.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
You know what's funny, I have thought of this before and thought we should have our Twitter IDs somewhere so we can contact each other in case of a site emergency or collapse or something. But then I asked myself "Why are you acting like Ernest Borgnine in a 1970s disaster movie? Calm the **** down." Also, I don't Twit.
We should all know Lou's twitter by now.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

It feels like the fire emergency plan you would make with your parents when you're 5.

"Get your stuffed animal, go out the back door, meet by the oak tree on the side of the house."

We'd probably just rendezvous at O&B and then figure it out from there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know when the site was down during deadline day, I was pissed.

I think if this site disappeared, I would reach out to Appleyard and ask where to go.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad