Sean Couturier about to get healthy scratched 34 days after being named the new Flyers' Captain

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Tortorella is notorious for "losing the room" everywhere he coaches. Maybe he is trying to speed run it this year like he did in Vancouver.
Maybe he is a genius!

Sign a 4x4 deal. The sooner you get fired the sooner you can kick back and earn that cheque while doing nothing lol.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This just isn't true or accurate in any way shape or form. He is run out of people to scratch and refuses to scratch players that he loves. I mean with all due respect if you know you know, and you don't know.
:laugh: All three points are true, insider.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has everyone been scratched but Laughton :laugh:
Not even Torts bats a thousand
download (10).png

• Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Scratching your captain if he's just not playing well would be really stupid.

Scratching your captain if he's not putting in effort might be a strong message to send to the team.

Either way this is extra funny coming directly after Torts got himself suspended for two games because he threw a tantrum on the bench.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's not just about being a healthy scratch. It's the combo of naming him captain then sending him to the press box in such quick succession. Like maybe hold off on giving him the C instead?

It's a bad look for the organization.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don't really have an opinion on the scratch itself, Torts is a pretty good NHL coach, I'm not. But, it's not a good look to make such a decision and then not show up for media, when it's obvious this is a big story. Yes, I heard there is a legit reason. Then don't do it this game. Or re-schedule your procedure, so you can answer the media for scatching your captain. It's a big thing.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I don't think this is a case of Torts just flexing his muscles . But based on Sean's comments, there is a definate disconnect between player and coach. Either the player is not being wholy truthful about giving it his all, or Torts is failing to recognize this. You don't sit your captain coming off injury just to get other guys more playing time. You do it if there's a clear issue as to why. End of day, usually coach is responsible for this sort of disconnect.

The best coaches are not just the ones who communicate well with their players. But are also the ones who create a synergy and trust wherein both player and coach are in gerneral agreement on performance level.

This has been a common theme with players he has scratched with the Flyers. At the end of last season Frost basically said in his exit interview that he didn't know what the coaching staff wanted from him most of the time.

Has everyone been scratched but Laughton :laugh:

Fascinating to see Farabee on the list, in terms of guys who disappeared for long stretches after major surgery (last season).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as the whole "he's the captain" thing, Torts just said he needs to be better. I don't even know if I necessarily agree with that or that you have to agree with it, or whatever the case, but it has nothing necessarily to do with leadership.

Jacob Trouba sucks ass. If it were up to me, I would scratch him like eczema. That being said, anybody in the know in regards to the Rangers would tell you the guy is beloved in the locker room.

Now, should you put up with a guy that sucks because he's a good leader? Should you name a guy captain if you feel he can't stay in the lineup? That's a whole other discussion.

Point is, you can be a leader and still have a stretch where you're not effective. A scratch is not necessarily effort-related.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Terrible coach? I'm gonna have to disagree with that one. Turned around a Lightning franchise that had no success prior to his arrival and won a Cup with them, successful with the Rangers, led the Blue Jackets to the playoffs 4 straight years a franchise that only made the playoff 2 other times in their 24 year history and now has the Flyers overachieving.

You can say that he wears out his welcome at every stop but he's a very good coach, the results are proof of this. You, and others, might not like his coaching methods but they've worked time and time again. His teams win.
I’m not arguing over whether he gets some wins. I don’t think his style is conducive to sustained winning and being a true contender in the current league. I don’t know how many chances he deserves. Most don’t get 2. He’s on job 6 now or something like that?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He’s the Lou Lamoriello of coaches. Largely coasting on past accomplishments, but no tangible accomplishments in the past decades on all the teams he’s joined.

I like his no nonsense approach in general, but I think the timing to scratch his captain is poor with their season on the line.

The Jackets overachieved with Torts, now the Flyers are. How is that not tangible?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
The Flyers aren't overachieving because of Tortorella whatsoever. The Flyers are vastly improved this year because of three things:

1. Sean Couturier coming back and playing at a much higher level than expected for most of the year
2. Sean Walker and Cam York playing like top 4 defensemen
3. Travis Sanheim and Travis Konecny playing like top pairing/line players

Giving Tortorella credit for this year is complete fantasy by people who aren't paying attention to the Flyers at all.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Sean Couturier getting the Vinny Lecavalier treatment by the Flyers. 5th liner/healthy scratch.

Tortorella channeling his inner Berube?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad