Sean Couturier about to get healthy scratched 34 days after being named the new Flyers' Captain

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I assume you're playing glib because you're one of those Everyone Must Be Wrong But Me and Tuff Hockeyman Torts guys, but:

He needed the rest earlier in the season. Given his situation, they should have been managing his usage all season. Even just maintaining through the grind of an 82 game season would be tough for a guy who had missed nearly 2 years prior. Let alone a guy on the wrong side of 30 who basically had his spine rebuilt.

Prior to the All-Star break, he was averaging nearly 20 minutes (19:57) per night. And he was fresh and effective at that point, so Torts leaned on him like crazy: He played as many as 24+ minutes some games.

Much of this was around the time that Tortorella was scratching Frost—his decision, remember—and so Couturier was being forced to eat minutes because the Flyers already have bad center depth and were making that situation even worse for themselves by willingly sitting the only other top-6 caliber center option they have.

All that took its toll, and you could kinda see it happening in real time. Couturier's production and effectiveness dropped steadily. He has always been kinda slow, but looked slower than he used to be at the start of this season, and has looked even slower than that as the season has progressed.

So this is a situation Tortorella created for himself. He made lineup decisions that put more work on Couturier's plate than he should have been given. Rather than easing him back into the game or practicing any type of load management, he leaned on the player with hard minutes in order to secure those all-important early season wins for this so-called rebuilder, and once all that added up he cut his minutes and is now scratching him.

This is exactly what he did to the Sedins in 13-14.

They were getting older, needed minutes cut back a bit ... and he rode them 22 minutes/game for the first half of the season and then they crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

The refusal of NHL coaches to load-manage veteran players is absolutely insane, as is the weird stigma that it's an insult for a 'regular player' to sit out for a game here and there.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
This is exactly what he did to the Sedins in 13-14.

They were getting older, needed minutes cut back a bit ... and he rode them 22 minutes/game for the first half of the season and then they crashed and burned in the 2nd half.

The refusal of NHL coaches to load-manage veteran players is absolutely insane, as is the weird stigma that it's an insult for a 'regular player' to sit out for a game here and there.

I just looked it up and you ain't kiddin'. Henrik had 40 points in first 46 games playing more than 21:30 (!) a night. Last 24 games, 10 points.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I never undertsood the hype of Couturier. He's just a more expensive version of Phil Danault. Who I'd rather have Danault.
IMG_0068.gif

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
As Jets fan , I feel tempted to resurrect the old Schiefele vs Couturier debate. But not the time or place considering the circumstances, so I won't 🙃

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
The only potential mistake for Torts is if he didn’t communicate effectively.

Some coaches have a “it’s my job to decide and that’s that” and don’t want to communicate or how a power play type response if a player asks what’s up

If he didn’t communicate well to Couturier in advance I can see why he’d make a comment about it and genuinely not understand

I don’t think players are always looking at analytics and can be overly optimistic/ defensive about their game

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
I like Torts but I feel like he shouldn't be so harsh on a player who is coming back from missing almost 2 seasons due to injuries.

Reactions: banks

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Accountability. If he was my coach and did something like that I'd be 100% behind him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad