Seabrook is some magician!

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yea, but Seabs could be like Phil Esposito. Lumber back and forth and just plant himself in front of the net

It's a fascinating idea. Once you've accepted that we could do better on D, there is no reason not to experiment with it. He has a wicked shot, size and he's nasty too. Could really be another Buff if it all worked out.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i still believe that imo the Bhawks will put 2 top lines with Q style of play, then put the 3rd line that is more of a grinder, big body player that Q can roll out there. a line that can score and do a lot of good work in the dirty area. just bang the crap out of the other team and crash the net.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Brent Seabrook is bad.

He's Dan Girardi west, with a worse contract.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
His agent is a magician for getting him that extension

Of course Stanley probably put up no resistance in negotiations

What a disaster #7 signing has been

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Seabrook isn't a magician... He's the assistant with no legs laying in the box after being cut in half. At least that's how he moves out there. Like he's scooting along on his torso...

Send the guy to the press box already. I'd rather have Franson out there nightly, honestly.

2-5
42-44
6-11

And mix in Oesterle every now and again on the left side.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
His suckage is NOTHING new. I mean, I don't think he's playing much worse than he has for most of the past several years. The difference the rest of the team has fallen off drastically defensively. Keith likely isn't quite as good as he used to be. The rest of our defenders aren't great defensively. Our forwards don't play a good 2 way game.

This clown literally had people covering for him defensively for several years. Now that the team sucks defensively he has nowhere to hide anymore. Don't believe me? Start bringing up clips the last 5 years and you'll find him turning the wrong way in transition defense, falling down, fumbling pucks, and flat out getting f***ing destroyed in board play. It's been there for a LONG time but some refused to see it.

I hate to say I told you so on this guy but I told you so.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
His suckage is NOTHING new. I mean, I don't think he's playing much worse than he has for most of the past several years. The difference the rest of the team has fallen off drastically defensively. Keith likely isn't quite as good as he used to be. The rest of our defenders aren't great defensively. Our forwards don't play a good 2 way game.

This clown literally had people covering for him defensively for several years. Now that the team sucks defensively he has nowhere to hide anymore. Don't believe me? Start bringing up clips the last 5 years and you'll find him turning the wrong way in transition defense, falling down, fumbling pucks, and flat out getting ****ing destroyed in board play. It's been there for a LONG time but some refused to see it.

I hate to say I told you so on this guy but I told you so.

It's been there for a couple years. Not 5. You do realize 5 years ago was prior to the 2013 Cup win right? :shakehead

He has dramatically declined since 2015-2016, which would be 2-3 years, max.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
It's been there for a couple years. Not 5. You do realize 5 years ago was prior to the 2013 Cup win right? :shakehead

Aside from a few decent stretches he wasn't that good then either. It's more than 2-3 years. But hey, he scorez big goalz (which we partly needed because he sucked defensively).

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

I'd say the decline started in 2013. He was a rock up to 2012, and in 2013 you started to see inconsistency creep into his game. That's part of the reason he and Keith were split up just after the end of the winning streak, and were only reunited when the team was down 3-1 to Detroit and desperate. And Seabrook was pretty bad through the first half of that run… after reuniting with Keith h was great again. We chalked it up to chemistry and moved on….

but then 2014 came and he was ****ing abysmal. The entire year. He put up a bunch of points if memory serves, but he was really bad defensively. I remember it clearly because it felt like every game Edzo would push the idea that Seabrook should be a Norris candidate and I was like 'uh…. what? Are you nuts? Are you watching?'

2015 he was a bit better than 2014, but still not great. Until the playoffs. Now, maybe that was a case of a vet saving every drop he had for when it mattered most. And if so, good choice.

We all know how he's been in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.

So I'd say the decline started in 2013, the cliff came after he emptied the tank in 2015. And honestly, that's when they should have acknowledged what was happening and traded him when he still had perceived value.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I think JD's timeline is spot on for the most part.

Certainly he was huge when the team around him wasn't, but now we've given him a few years of the opposite. I wish the organization would wake the heck up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd say the decline started in 2013. He was a rock up to 2012, and in 2013 you started to see inconsistency creep into his game. That's part of the reason he and Keith were split up just after the end of the winning streak, and were only reunited when the team was down 3-1 to Detroit and desperate. And Seabrook was pretty bad through the first half of that run… after reuniting with Keith h was great again. We chalked it up to chemistry and moved on….

but then 2014 came and he was ****ing abysmal. The entire year. He put up a bunch of points if memory serves, but he was really bad defensively. I remember it clearly because it felt like every game Edzo would push the idea that Seabrook should be a Norris candidate and I was like 'uh…. what? Are you nuts? Are you watching?'

2015 he was a bit better than 2014, but still not great. Until the playoffs. Now, maybe that was a case of a vet saving every drop he had for when it mattered most. And if so, good choice.

We all know how he's been in 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.

So I'd say the decline started in 2013, the cliff came after he emptied the tank in 2015. And honestly, that's when they should have acknowledged what was happening and traded him when he still had perceived value.

Pretty accurate, actually. But the point remains, the major, major decline started in 2015. Not 2012. He was still a serviceable top 4 D, really, up until 2015-2016.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
At this point the Seabrook signing may be the worst contract a Chicago sports team has ever handed out
Not in Hockey IMHO (I don't really follow any other sports that much to be knowledgeable about their players' contracts and the rules concerning them in each sport). To me, the 1st Khabibulin contract takes that one. His output in the cap era is FAR below average, he made slightly less than Seabrook in his current deal in absolute cap dollars, but his cap% was more than either Toews or Kane.

Imagine, for a moment, if Toews played like Pirri, but was making his current money. That's how bad the Khabi deal was.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Khabby played on awful teams behind awful defenses

Once team improved so did Khabby

Also Khabby's cap hit was not a detriment to franchise while Seabrook's is

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
this is the cap era, not trying to spin the situation, but the biggest problem is the org stress to keep the team together while not making minor and major tweaks.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Khabby played on awful teams behind awful defenses

Once team improved so did Khabby

Also Khabby's cap hit was not a detriment to franchise while Seabrook's is
Khabi saw more than 9000 shots on goal since the lockout, so his numbers regressed to his mean well enough through those years--and in the past 3 years the 'hawks defense has been more porous than those of the mid-2000's.

And Khabi's cap hit was 16.667% of the total cap.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Khabi was incredibly awful after we first got him. He was always one of my favorites and I was ecstatic to get him so objectively, I have to think he was having too much fun off the ice or something was making him unmotivated, maybe the losing. He should have been better. We gave him an obscene amount of money and he didn't seem like he cared. That was coming out of the lockout, perhaps he lost something from the layoff.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Khabi was incredibly awful after we first got him. He was always one of my favorites and I was ecstatic to get him so objectively, I have to think he was having too much fun off the ice or something was making him unmotivated, maybe the losing. He should have been better. We gave him an obscene amount of money and he didn't seem like he cared. That was coming out of the lockout, perhaps he lost something from the layoff.
Kinda how I see it. I mean with Seabs you're talking about 9.4% of there cap as opposed to 16.67%, so IMHO it's more of a detriment. The only real saving grace back then was how much the cap increased, while now there's more of a cap on it.

Again, it's more like Toews now, but with the output of Pirri...or Kane now, with the output of Morin.

Yeah, BHC is Right, those teams were really bad, but his numbers still should have been more respectable than they were. 9000+SA is like 5 years of 60 games per season, each with 30 shot nights. That's easily enough time for awesome nights, bad nights, bailing the team out, bailing on the team, soft goals, and unreal saves to become lost in the noise.

That's not saying Seabs' deal isn't bad, but Khabi's deal hurt. Hell, even Huet's cap-era numbers were good for a .914, while Khabi's were a .903

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad