Seabrook is some magician!

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Seabrook's decline has been one of the worst I've seen. He's a #4 at this point, and will likely drop to third pairing by the end of this season. Maybe if he actually bent his knees when he skated .... Skating mechanics are awful. Has horrible balance. Looks out of shape, either as a result of his horrible skating, or being overweight. All in all, just bad news for the Hawks. Hopefully he develops some kind of equipment allergy in the next couple seasons.

I've never been a Seabrook fan, but he was at least a solid #2 for most of his time here as a Hawk. The last few seasons...meh. Brutal.

The bold is obvious. Terribly inaccurate post Bud.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I have been Seabrook's biggest critic for his decline. ..but to be fair..he has exactly tge same sloppy give-away numbers as Keith and Kempny (9 each) which lead all our d-men in give-aways.. Forsling only has 5 and Rutta only 4 and Murphy 3 ...so for those pundit bloggers saying it is the infusion of new d-men causing out turnover problem..not true.. IT is our 2 most trusted vets #7 and#2 who are way over the turnover rates of their prime years ...surprisingly Kempny is up there with them...OK ..you will say that #2 and#7 get tge best lines to defend and play more monutes which skews their totals ..But still we lead all teams who have played 5 games in give-aways 69...which leads the league. . That your #1 pairing have 18 turnovers in 5 games is totally unacceptable.
For tge less NHL experienced d-men 3-5 give'aways in 5GP is 1 or less a game...which is understandable and probably normal ...But to have 9each in 5GP by your top pair is ridiculously bad .Ate #2 and#7 "NHL ready" given the mistake rates they are posting g?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Worse, is the term of the contract but that's old news now.
It's sunk cost. He has to do a better job with positioning. It's the only way. You guys think the new CBA will give teams an amnesty clause? I know who I would use it on. However, I'm not naming names.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm not even sure the Hawks would use the buyout on him. It's not for what, another 3-4 seasons? At that point the cap will be higher, Keith will be much older (if he's still playing) and the Hawks window will probably be closed by then.

I mean this sincerely, I'm not sure McD and Wirtz would want any of the bad PR that comes with buying out a player that's been in the franchise for what would be 18ish seasons at that point. Unless it's absolutely necessary I don't think it's a guarantee that it happens. Nonetheless we're talking about something 3-4 years ahead from now so it's all weak speculation at this point anyway.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I'm not even sure the Hawks would use the buyout on him. It's not for what, another 3-4 seasons? At that point the cap will be higher, Keith will be much older (if he's still playing) and the Hawks window will probably be closed by then.

I mean this sincerely, I'm not sure McD and Wirtz would want any of the bad PR that comes with buying out a player that's been in the franchise for what would be 18ish seasons at that point. Unless it's absolutely necessary I don't think it's a guarantee that it happens. Nonetheless we're talking about something 3-4 years ahead from now so it's all weak speculation at this point anyway.

What negative publicity. The fans know he sucks. The team knows he sucks. Other players know he sucks. If he played remotely well enough to justify the contract this would be a non-issue. But he hasn't. Cutting a bad contract is much more important than past accolades, many of which were undeserved. He was always the "least important" and most easily replaceable core player.

It's just too bad Stan has a hard time with contracts for his own players. He doesn't know how to properly assess value it all. It's almost as like he looks at them like they are his kids. And that's a huge problem

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

He still gets money if they buy him out.

And they can just stick him in a box with Bobby Hull to get applause during commercial breaks or whatever. I'm sure he'd be up for showing up to restaurant openings and whatnot as a Hawks celebrity.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
If we buy Seabrook out he's getting another contract somewhere. I don't see him retiring as a Blackhawk.

then why, i really mean why even resign him in the first place. as i said back then he has reached his peak as a d-man.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Stan paid for the short term window.
with all due respect and i am saying that as a poster who have a right to make a comment.

but i really don't buy that. his salary was fair value and the length was perfect. it is the time that players / agents are getting longer contracts. this is a problem that will pop up on certain contracts.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Stan paid for the short term window.

In most cases I agree with this, but anybody with eyeballs or access to even basic numbers could tell you that Seabrook was falling off a cliff by 2015. He had one EXTREMELY well timed last gasp during the Blackhawks 2015 cup run, but was pretty bad through the bulk of that season (ESPECIALLY when Q separated him from Keith), and the entirety of the season before. His offensive production (based primarily on PP deployment and sh% peaks) helped paper over the obvious defensive issues for a lot of people though.

I'd argue if they had let Seabrook walk, or even better traded him in the summer of 2015 when his value was high, their window would be in better shape than any conceivable scenario involving paying Seabrook 6.8million.

TL;DR version: The Seabrook contract did more to hurry the window closed than it did to prop it open another year or two.

If we buy Seabrook out he's getting another contract somewhere. I don't see him retiring as a Blackhawk.

This I agree with.

Hell, the Rangers FINALLY bit the bullet and bought out Dan Girardi, and he was immediately given a contract by a a GM that I think most would agree has been one of the savvier in the league of late.

Some GM would give Seabrook a contract for 'leadership' or 'winning culture' or some such.

Honestly, Dan Girardi is probably the best direct comparison for Seabrook in the league.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i agree with JD on this, i remember back then, many fans were on the bandwagon of letting this group of players to completely finish off their career as a Bhawk and with several more SC's. that also included many on this site.

i also remember that the org bosses stated that if SB did another screw up if ref to players movement, (Bickell), SB would be gone. now i remember that was spoken in a rumor page. however whether anyone can remember that, it a long time ago.

how many times can this org keep screwing up in ref to contracts and players movement.

Question, if the team does not go any further in the playoff, beyond the opening round, i hear the phrase of Q should be fired......... well why not say SB be fired. he was the one who got this team in a salary cap screw up.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
i agree with JD on this, i remember back then, many fans were on the bandwagon of letting this group of players to completely finish off their career as a Bhawk and with several more SC's. that also included many on this site.

i also remember that the org bosses stated that if SB did another screw up if ref to players movement, (Bickell), SB would be gone. now i remember that was spoken in a rumor page. however whether anyone can remember that, it a long time ago.

how many times can this org keep screwing up in ref to contracts and players movement.

Question, if the team does not go any further in the playoff, beyond the opening round, i hear the phrase of Q should be fired......... well why not say SB be fired. he was the one who got this team in a salary cap screw up.

The prospects are paying off and the Saad trade looks great considering he's signed for so long. We're in a 4 year window for Stan IMO. Yes, we will need to see improvement, but he's been doing his job. He gets some redemption on Bickell because of the MS. He's bringing in cheap veteran free agents that every team wants. He's standing up to Q and doing what he wants which is the best part. Q is only going to get more obsolete, it's up to him how long he can last.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
you
The prospects are paying off and the Saad trade looks great considering he's signed for so long. We're in a 4 year window for Stan IMO. Yes, we will need to see improvement, but he's been doing his job. He gets some redemption on Bickell because of the MS. He's bringing in cheap veteran free agents that every team wants. He's standing up to Q and doing what he wants which is the best part. Q is only going to get more obsolete, it's up to him how long he can last.
you see, this is the point i was aiming for, this is a complete double standard the fans for the org. fans makes excuses and no condemnation. yet when Q is brought up, it is all his fault and the fans want to hand Q by his testy's.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
you

you see, this is the point i was aiming for, this is a complete double standard the fans for the org. fans makes excuses and no condemnation. yet when Q is brought up, it is all his fault and the fans want to hand Q by his testy's.

Bowman had to show he realized it was time to make some changes and manage the cap better along with it and he has, his moves are working. Q has to show he can bring these talents along and implement a modern system that will make the most of them. The pieces are coming into place. You may feel this team needs more moves. What would you like to see Stan do?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Bowman had to show he realized it was time to make some changes and manage the cap better along with it and he has, his moves are working. Q has to show he can bring these talents along and implement a modern system that will make the most of them. The pieces are coming into place. You may feel this team needs more moves. What would you like to see Stan do?
plain and simple, this has been the problem for the last 2 yrs...... fix the cap, by trading Seabs.

if SB is truly in charge of making the roster changes, then Seabs should have been #1 this summer.... yet nothing. i keep hearing about buying Seabs out, well there you go.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
It's clear Seabrook's legs are failing him. If we're going to keep him in the coming years (which we basically have to) I think it's time to consider deploying him as we did with rozsival in 2013 where Seabrook sits a fair amount of games to save energy for the playoffs. This way we get the most out of whatever hockey he has left in games that actually matter, and Kempny/Rutta/Forsling all get more minutes to help their development along

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
plain and simple, this has been the problem for the last 2 yrs...... fix the cap, by trading Seabs.

if SB is truly in charge of making the roster changes, then Seabs should have been #1 this summer.... yet nothing. i keep hearing about buying Seabs out, well there you go.

I want him gone too, there's a lot that goes into that, finding a team that he'll go to that wants him. I don't blame you for holding that against Bowman. It's a big problem. We need that compliance buyout.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I want him gone too, there's a lot that goes into that, finding a team that he'll go to that wants him. I don't blame you for holding that against Bowman. It's a big problem. We need that compliance buyout.
and as i said, i was baiting you, into this angle..... again, everyone give SB a pass yet wants to tear Q apart. btw, not last yr, b/c i do not blame the coach for last yr playoff performance, i blame the players. however i extend the blame to SB for not getting the players needed to win. this is also more visible in 2 yrs ago.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
and as i said, i was baiting you, into this angle..... again, everyone give SB a pass yet wants to tear Q apart. btw, not last yr, b/c i do not blame the coach for last yr playoff performance, i blame the players. however i extend the blame to SB for not getting the players needed to win. this is also more visible in 2 yrs ago.

I don't hold Seabs against him, I didn't mind the contract, it is going bad, but it's hard to move him. He earned the NTC. I believe Bowman sees what we do and would make a move if it makes sense. I also believe he and his family and their connections have inroads to knowledge of a future CBA and it may be part of the plan. Who's to say and who's to know? We'll see.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't hold Seabs against him, I didn't mind the contract, it is going bad, but it's hard to move him. He earned the NTC. I believe Bowman sees what we do and would make a move if it makes sense. I also believe he and his family and their connections have inroads to knowledge of a future CBA and it may be part of the plan. Who's to say and who's to know? We'll see.
i truly blame SB. the reason is, he is the main GM, it is his job to know and see these things. his main problem is he was judging with his emotions and not using his logic. there is no second chance or do overs esp when the stakes is high, getting the players to compete for another SC. the salary cap restrictions prevents burying a simple mistakes, such as having a player making 6.8 mil sitting in the press box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad