Post-Game Talk: Scoring, lack of. Jets lose 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The only player who is out atm who can score is Ehlers everyone else is a role player, getting a player of his ilk will cost and cost a lot and I don't think Chevy will do it.
Doesn’t make sense to give up the assets for a heavy hitter like that, but if they can find a middle sixer for a modest price (maybe by weaponizing cap space), I think they should do it. They just need some help because they have a bunch of guys who are essentially no threat to score.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Doesn’t make sense to give up the assets for a heavy hitter like that, but if they can find a middle sixer for a modest price (maybe by weaponizing cap space), I think they should do it. They just need some help because they have a bunch of guys who are essentially no threat to score.
We may have a few guys that can score already in the lineup -
There's a couple on the 4th that might surprise if given the opportunity to play with talent - they have on the Moose so who knows. At this point, give it a shot -

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
don't think anyone is saying go after a player like ehlers, just someone who doesn't look out of place in the top six maybe like garland or labanc types
Watching the Rangers and Sharks right now and I thought to myself that Timo Meier looks good 6m RFA at the end of the year then I heard from the MSG crew that next years qualifying offer is 10m WTF, I'll look out for Lablanc instead

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I'm beginning to see why Bones's teams didn't score much in Dallas our offensive schemes are non existent. Just nothing of note happening in the ozone with lots of stuff on the perimeter and terrible puck support.

I thought the couch outsmarted himself tonight with his hard core line matching. Their first goal came solely off a poor change because he decided he wanted to put Lowrybout for Mark at C and leave the JoMo pairing on the ice instead of switching them because the Pens pit Malkin out. We got the puck out and then they did what he wanted and changed right after and we got caught. He should have just switched for the faceoff and no one is trying to change quickly.

Helle was fine other then that missplay, just rip it out instead of holding it and giving it away.

Top pairing was just ok tonight, JoMo wasn't as sharp as he normally is with his passing.

Second pairing was fine no complaints.

Samberg played well but Capo brings nothing to the table. Just a warm body. Put Ville in, we need the offense.

Top line wasn't that great, they had trouble generating stuff tonight and couldn't add hoc themselves to scoring chances tonight. Tpp much trying to individually deek the entire pens.

Second line was much better the last game imo. I thought Cole played very well off the puck and started holding it more and creating things as the game went on after differing too much last game and earlier in the game. He's going to have peaks and vallys this year but he's contributing positively off the puck and could have had a fee points if things broke a bit differently. Dubois worked hard and was solid both ways but his passing was also off and he wasn't ready for pucks coming to him on the cycle on a number if occasions and as such got bodied off the puck. Wheeler was hot garbage, just a bunch of dumb decisions, couldn't win a battle and also tried to deek the entire pens way too much.

Third line got ate alive by the Crosby line imo. Not a great showing by them.

Fourth line barely played but got hemmed a lot when on the ice.
We`ve got a real problem shaping up with basic play in the offensive zone - it truly is nothing more than chip and chase/ be aggressive on the pursuit / try regain possession / cycle low to high/ and bodies to the net for screening and rebounds. I fear that generating goals with this style will prove elusive for the roster that we have - simply don`t have D with skills at creating scoring chances from outside the circles (creating shot lanes and actual hard, accurate shots), and, don`t have players adept at the rebound game (body positioning and quick sticks).

If we are going to continue with this style of play, we will have to learn to dump or chip the puck in a more planned, controlled fashion - to specific areas where our pursuit has a reasonable chance at getting close to the puck and competing for possession right from the get go. The Pens have already learned to anticipate the deep dump and were able to easily gain control before we could exert any pressure. They were then able to easily exit their zone without any pressure.

FiveHoled

Jul 2, 2016
West Coast
Nice execution by Pittsburg tonight, they were the better team. But wow is that boring hockey to watch. The third period had the energy of a practice.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Watching the Rangers and Sharks right now and I thought to myself that Timo Meier looks good 6m RFA at the end of the year then I heard from the MSG crew that next year qualifying offer is 10m WTF, I'll look out for Lablanc instead
yeah, I haven't watch much of lablanc play just was looking at the tanking teams that would be looking to shed salary with players that have no trade protection and he seemed like somebody who could be interested

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Perfetti makes some slick passes but other than that is he not a top 6 forward (yet).

Jets really need another top 6 forward.
At the game tonight. I really like Perfetti but he does have an issue. He doesn't shoot, predominantly on the power play but also in other situations. He's always looking to pass, which he has exceptional skill at. But you could see pretty clearly tonight that the Pens did not consider him a threat to score. When he had the puck on our PP they largely left him on the perimeter, essentially daring him to shoot. He's going to have to change that aspect of his game to make himself a threat to score, he has the hands to do so.

Helle with a really nice game. High glove side on first goal was frustrating, misplay on second was infuriating - wrap it around the boards and it is still 1-0. Clenching every time he leaves his crease has not ceased in spite of improved play this season.

Jets need help up front. Losing Ehlers and Appleton long term even though I don't really see the latter as top six caliber, is pretty crippling. Easy for teams to nullify our top six.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Perfetti makes some slick passes but other than that is he not a top 6 forward (yet).

Jets really need another top 6 forward.
So neither wheeler or perfetti now are top 6ers according to folks on here. Ehlers gone. So we only have 3 top 6 fwds?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Boy we really need to hit on some of our prospects in the next few years, hopefully we can get at least 2 to be able to perform in the top six. I know it doesn't help this year but something to look forward to

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Calgary has been trying for weeks now to get a top 6 goal scorer with no luck .... how do you expect Chevy to get one?
calgary may be having a hard time finding a fit because they are very limited in who they can trade for right now, they have 689k in cap space for this season and they are already over the cap next season(unless it goes up more then the usual 1 million it has been) with the weeger, huberdeau and vladar extentions, they would need to get a team not on lucic ntc to take him just to be able to afford a rental right now

Reactions: MardyBum

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I missed chunks of this game, spent the 3rd period playing cards, so I can't really comment too much on the game. One thing I will say is where the hell did all the Pens fans come out of the woodwork from? Jeez I remember having a Pens jersey in 1987, and I think I might have been one of the only ones in MB. I mean you could hear the cheers when they scored. I watched the end of the Montreal game, and you knew exactly who the home crowd was pulling for, and with passion too.

I blame Sportsnet for the loss. Hopefully it's not a Sportsnet losing streak. Losing makes it easier to make lineup changes.

Was a saw off for 2 periods, Jets don't have much offense outside their top 6, and for Gagner you want to play top 6, you probably shouldn't coast inside your blueline with the defensemen in the middle of a line change, to give up a one-timer situation.

I know it only takes a loss or two for the sky to fall and the tanks to roll in, I just wonder how nervous Chevy is right now, he's seen his team pull a couple of games out that could have been losses easy, the injuries up front have to be concerning, and next 3 games should all be challenging...

Reactions: Inanna

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We`ve got a real problem shaping up with basic play in the offensive zone - it truly is nothing more than chip and chase/ be aggressive on the pursuit / try regain possession / cycle low to high/ and bodies to the net for screening and rebounds. I fear that generating goals with this style will prove elusive for the roster that we have - simply don`t have D with skills at creating scoring chances from outside the circles (creating shot lanes and actual hard, accurate shots), and, don`t have players adept at the rebound game (body positioning and quick sticks).

If we are going to continue with this style of play, we will have to learn to dump or chip the puck in a more planned, controlled fashion - to specific areas where our pursuit has a reasonable chance at getting close to the puck and competing for possession right from the get go. The Pens have already learned to anticipate the deep dump and were able to easily gain control before we could exert any pressure. They were then able to easily exit their zone without any pressure.

Exactly and when we did regain control it was like our players didn't know where to go half the time. A good chunk of the time we'd put the puck to a space with a player in the vicinity and said player wouldn't be ready for it and lose possesion and it would exit the zone.

Not really sure why some are having an issue with how some players like Perfetti are looking offensively. He's doing exactly what the coach is asking. Putting the puck in an area where the team is going to continue the cycle/pursuit or if he gets the puck up high he's putting it towards the net looking for tips and rebounds. He was more creative when Bones was out with COVID. Now hes playing the simplified basic offensive game he wants all lines except line 1 to play.

This is shaping up to be just like Dallas where one line was allowed to be creative and all the other lines where expected to be low event lines. One thing I haven't liked is the whole montra that all lines need to look the same.

I will say I like our defense much better this year but have major questions on if we have the roster to grind out low scoring games.

Anyhow we will see if our players can adapt and have success playing his offensive scheme. So far our 5 on 5 scoring is close to none existent and I agree that our roster talent in the top 6 isn't really made for that type of game.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Exactly and when we did regain control it was like our players didn't know where to go half the time. A good chunk of the time we'd put the puck to a space with a player in the vicinity and said player wouldn't be ready for it and lose possesion and it would exit the zone.

Not really sure why some are having an issue with how some players like Perfetti are looking offensively. He's doing exactly what the coach is asking. Putting the puck in an area where the team is going to continue the cycle/pursuit or if he gets the puck up high he's putting it towards the net looking for tips and rebounds. He was more creative when Bones was out with COVID. Now hes playing the simplified basic offensive game he wants all lines except line 1 to play.

This is shaping up to be just like Dallas where one line was allowed to be creative and all the other lines where expected to be low event lines. One thing I haven't liked is the whole montra that all lines need to look the same.

I will say I like our defense much better this year but have major questions on if we have the roster to grind out low scoring games.

Anyhow we will see if our players can adapt and have success playing his offensive scheme. So far our 5 on 5 scoring is close to none existent and I agree that our roster talent in the top 6 isn't really made for that type of game.
Is that a beaver in your avatar picture? I've always wondered what that was about.

Agreed with the rest. Hope to see you in the Grey Cup thread tomorrow.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
10-5-1 is still a great start and every single team in the NHL will have off nights. Under Maurice this team had no idea what defense was, what Bowness has done with this team in a short time is quite amazing really. We need help on our top 6 for sure though and i hope Chevy doesn't wait too long to make a addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad