Post-Game Talk: Scoring, lack of. Jets lose 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Perfetti is a top-6 player on either a non-playoff team or a team like 17-18 Jets that has elite top line level players that can play with him and cover for him. On this current Jets lineup, where Wheeler is 36 and PLD isn't a single handed line driver I don't see him as a top-6 player right now but the Jets have no options. Maybe if 27 was healthy, he could be on a line with 55/27 and maybe that'd work but that's not the world we live in.

This is why the Jets should have picked up another player like Milano at league minimum to help them.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wonder what it would take to get Boeser from Vancouver? I think he would be a good fit with Scheifele and Connor.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have not watched ALL the games but in my viewing he is easily knocked off the puck (and off his feet), struggles along the boards and the play dies a LOT on his stick.

Obviously skilled. Not sure Bowness' system fits him very well. Also thinks he need a Scheifele or Connor on his line that will look to shoot first...hopefully we see continuous improvement

It's like most don't remember Scheifele at the same age who couldn't stay on his feet or win a battle to save his life. There is a reason he was called Bambi. Perfetti is 20 and still is getting stronger and learning how to battle. Him having some difficulties on the wall and with strength is par for the course with almost every young player.

I don't know that you are being very fair to him though. Last night his board work lead to him stripping a Pens player and then sending Blake in with a beauty feed behind both Pens dmen. He won three dangerous pucks in our end and made the appropriate play to get the puck moving out. I also didn't see him give up the puck in the ozone unlike his linemates last night.

On offense outside the Wheeler grade A chance he set Dubois up for a point blank chance on the first, got a pretty good one timer away from the slot on period 2 and nearly con ected on the pp with Lowry on two tips, one of which dribbled wide of the net by inches.

The kid is well on his way to being a real good all around player and we just need to be patient with him.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What your describing is exactly what his Dallas Stars were. An offensive line backed by an offensive top pairing to help them generate with the rest tasked with being low event.

It might help our second line generate more offense if they weren't stuck with our third pairing backing them up the vast majority of the time. This is where a Heinola would be of use.
Even though the Jets aren't scoring much i would way rather watch this team than our team last season.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Perfetti is a top-6 player on either a non-playoff team or a team like 17-18 Jets that has elite top line level players that can play with him and cover for him. On this current Jets lineup, where Wheeler is 36 and PLD isn't a single handed line driver I don't see him as a top-6 player right now but the Jets have no options. Maybe if 27 was healthy, he could be on a line with 55/27 and maybe that'd work but that's not the world we live in.

This is why the Jets should have picked up another player like Milano at league minimum to help them.
I would like more offense from Dubois but playing against him doesn't look like alot of fun. The guy has drawn the most penalties in the NHL right now, good guy to have on your team and not to play against.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Weird take after a game where Perfetti was the only forward creating opportunities.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
He's done nothing in the A to even hint faintly at being ready for the NHL. We have a guy sitting in the press box who was scoring at a point and a half a game in the AHL. We have another guy playing on the 4th line who was scoring ppg in the AHL.

Its time to end the Gagner experiment on the 1st line. He can't keep up. Try Harkins there. Yes, Harkins. He has always played well when given the opportunity to play with skilled players. It is as a checker that he has been weak.
Agree--Harkins can keep up with the speed, grind in the manner of a Hyman, and would probably pot a few.

I don't know what to do with the second line, but it's not working. Maybe try Gagner there instead of Wheeler, because Blake is just spinning his wheels.

Wheeler might be better served playing with Lowry and on special teams, where expectations are different.

Bones would be well-served to experiment with all his F lines at this point, If they all are supposed to look the same defensively.

I would also get Heinola in the lineup ASAP, because he will provide sorely needed offense from the LD position.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
91 is doing okay but in a perfect world, he has one more year in the AHL to dominate.

In a perfect world he'd have better linemate support to shield him ala Conner when he broke into the league in 17-18. He has nothing left to learn in the AHL. We will be much better off in the long run allowing him to go through the learning curve now.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's like most don't remember Scheifele at the same age who couldn't stay on his feet or win a battle to save his life. There is a reason he was called Bambi. Perfetti is 20 and still is getting stronger and learning how to battle. Him having some difficulties on the wall and with strength is par for the course with almost every young player.

I don't know that you are being very fair to him though. Last night his board work lead to him stripping a Pens player and then sending Blake in with a beauty feed behind both Pens dmen. He won three dangerous pucks in our end and made the appropriate play to get the puck moving out. I also didn't see him give up the puck in the ozone unlike his linemates last night.

On offense outside the Wheeler grade A chance he set Dubois up for a point blank chance on the first, got a pretty good one timer away from the slot on period 2 and nearly con ected on the pp with Lowry on two tips, one of which dribbled wide of the net by inches.

The kid is well on his way to being a real good all around player and we just need to be patient with him.
I'm super high on Perfetti, but the one thing I have a nagging doubt about is his speed. His vision, passing and puck handling ability will ensure he is a really good player. Adding a level or 2 to his skating will help him become a star.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm super high on Perfetti, but the one thing I have a nagging doubt about is his speed. His vision, passing and puck handling ability will ensure he is a really good player. Adding a level or 2 to his skating will help him become a star.

He just has to keep working at it like he has every offseason. He's already much quicker then he was a few years back and I expect him to continue to improve there.

I just think some expect finished products when these kids make the league. Almost every kid has a steep learning curve.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm with you on this, as we need him to develop into a difference maker. IMO he has everything else to be a star.

Yup but I think we are going to need to be patient with him. He in many ways is like Scheifele, he's waiting for the physical attributes and skating to catch up with his talent.

He's also being tasked by his coach with really learning the off the puck aspect of the game this year. It might not be a real high scoring year for him but adding that foundation will really serve him well in the long run.

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup but I think we are going to need to be patient with him. He in many ways is like Scheifele, he's waiting for the physical attributes and skating to catch up with his talent.

He's also being tasked by his coach with really learning the off the puck aspect of the game this year. It might not be a real high scoring year for him but adding that foundation will really serve him well in the long run.
His skating development curve is different than Scheifele's. Mark had speed but had balance issues that he had to learn how to over come. Perfetti has no issue with balance and actually is quite deceptive in how he moves with the puck, but he lacks both explosive speed and top end speed. I'm trusting he can get this up a couple more levels.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His skating development curve is different than Scheifele's. Mark had speed but had balance issues that he had to learn how to over come. Perfetti has no issue with balance and actually is quite deceptive in how he moves with the puck, but he lacks both explosive speed and top end speed. I'm trusting he can get this up a couple more levels.

Yeah definitely different types of challenges with skating but I never thought Mark was overly fast early on either but added a gear his third year in the league.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I would like more offense from Dubois but playing against him doesn't look like alot of fun. The guy has drawn the most penalties in the NHL right now, good guy to have on your team and not to play against.
PLD is very Burmistrov right now... lots of things happening on the ice when he is there but none of that chaos seems to result in offence or goals.

Weird take after a game where Perfetti was the only forward creating opportunities.
Not saying he's bad but he needs to more than two mid linemates if he is to succeed in a top-6 role.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah definitely different types of challenges with skating but I never thought Mark was overly fast early on either but added a gear his third year in the league.
Scheif is a natural skater - he has a good stride and can dig in when he wants to.
Perfetti is not a natural skater and will need to work very hard in this area to be even average,

I'm not holding out for that to happen - and I don't think it has to.
He's an Oates like player IMO and could be one of the better passers in the game.
Guys with hockey smarts and vision are a lot harder to come by than good skaters.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheif is a natural skater - he has a good stride and can dig in when he wants to.
Perfetti is not a natural skater and will need to work very hard in this area to be even average,

I'm not holding out for that to happen - and I don't think it has to.
He's an Oates like player IMO and could be one of the better passers in the game.
Guys with hockey smarts and vision are a lot harder to come by than good skaters.

I'm more comparing at the same age. We know Mark developed his skating and balance fairly significantly. He isn't close to the same type of skater now as he was when he was breaking into the league though.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Really not sure why we won't reunite KFC-PLD-Perfetti... you have a really nicely balanced line with chemistry
Then your second line is Lowry-Scheif-Wheeler until Apples is back - move Gus up to 3C and Toni to 4C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad