Scoreboard watching - or - the pursuit of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you assume Pittsburgh is in (which I get some might not) then we're down to four teams for three spots, right? With Jersey currently in the least favorable position. And yes, Florida has games in hand, but would have to win them all to tie the Jackets in points. Florida now the only one of the other three to have a clear advantage over the Jackets in ROW, too.

Would have been really nice if the Wings had held off Philly in regulation last night.

None of the above takes into account ROS schedule. I don't know that anything can be presumed as far as who's going to have the most or least favorable schedule. Philly probably shouldn't have lost last night. Devils probably shouldn't have won the three in a row that they did. The Western Canada teams stink but that's a tough trip I think no matter what. Stuff is gonna happen.

My post above notwithstanding, Pens play tonight and a loss would leave them tied in points (Pens holding tiebreak) with the CBJ.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Remaining schedules

Capitals: 73 GP, 91 points (9 remaining)

@DET, @mtl, @NYR, NYR, CAR, @pit, @STL, NSH, NJD

Penguins: 73 GP, 87 points, (9 remaining)

MTL, NJD, PHI, @DET, @NDJ, MTL, WSH, @CBJ, OTT

Jackets: 74 GP, 87 points (8 remaining)

FLA, STL, @EDM, @cgy, @Van, DET, PIT, @NSH

I think Washington will gain ~13 points out of their remaining schedule (finish with 104 pts). Pittsburgh with ~10 points to finish with 97 points. They have a relatively tough schedule since they're facing a desperate Devils and Flyers squad three times.

Basically if we have any hope of gaining home ice advantage in the first round, we'll need to finish with 12ish points over our last 8 games. We will lose the ROW tie-breaker to Pittsburgh, so we must have more points at the end of the season. Gonna have to take care of business at home against Florida, Pittsburgh and Detroit, and also have a successful west coast trip (5 points would be great). At that point, just need to steal a point on the road at Nashville or beat St. Louis, too, if we're gonna have any shot.

I'm really pulling for the Flyers to get their act together and for the Pens to fall on their faces down the stretch :sarcasm:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Mark Scheig‏ @markscheig 46m46 minutes ago
Could you imagine having to win in Nashville to clinch a playoff spot? How much do you think Johansen & Hartnell would love to spoil?

I hadn't given this any thought, but ya Scheig is correct. They would love to pound salt in Jarmo and Torts. Must continue to win and clinch before this game.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think 93 gets in. We have games against Detroit and Vancouver. So, just one win assuming we hold serve, and we'll probably be fine.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Mark Scheig‏ @markscheig 46m46 minutes ago
Could you imagine having to win in Nashville to clinch a playoff spot? How much do you think Johansen & Hartnell would love to spoil?

I hadn't given this any thought, but ya Scheig is correct. They would love to pound salt in Jarmo and Torts. Must continue to win and clinch before this game.

I'm guessing Johansen will be rested for CBJ game, so probably not even have a chance to be involved. I though Hartnell left on reasonably good note, but can't imagine him being a big spoiler anyway.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
MTL takes the leaaaaad in Pittsburgh. (It feels so good to scoreboard watch Pittsburgh again).

... A minute later the Pens score. Naturally

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
And now tied again 3-3? I'm just watching NHL app scores as I don't have Center Ice. I don't expect Habs to win, but keep it close and maybe get a lucky bounce or steal a point in the SO. :naughty:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Not even a month ago you were saying how bad we are and that we’re a fringe lottery team at best.

My, how the times have changed.

Fringe playoff team actually. And it's still accurate, as they are on the fringe.

Yeah, a 9 game win streak changes things. If they go 6-3 in this span rather than 9-0, they're not making it in. Not sure why you continue to pick these fights.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Winning tomorrow should make the rest of the season stress-free for the boys. Who thought a date with Florida would be so important?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fringe playoff team actually. And it's still accurate, as they are on the fringe.

Yeah, a 9 game win streak changes things. If they go 6-3 in this span rather than 9-0, they're not making it in. Not sure why you continue to pick these fights.

Anyone who claims that they saw a 9 game winning streak coming is, how you say it, lying their a$$ off.

The CBJ have been a bubble team all year. This late season surge could not have been predicted. Further, they've been outplayed in 3 of the wins (SJ, VGK and BOS), and they've played a team with heavy duty goaltending issues (PHA). The winning streak is still impressive, but it's not as if the CBJ have beating the daylights out of Stanley Cup contenders.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Anyone who claims that they saw a 9 game winning streak coming is, how you say it, lying their a$$ off.

The CBJ have been a bubble team all year. This late season surge could not have been predicted. Further, they've been outplayed in 3 of the wins (SJ, VGK and BOS), and they've played a team with heavy duty goaltending issues (PHA). The winning streak is still impressive, but it's not as if the CBJ have beating the daylights out of Stanley Cup contenders.

There’s a lot of things wrong with this post... I can’t take it serious.

1.) Who is PHA? ..... Philly? .... maybe?...
2.) “It’s not as if the CBJ have beating (should be beaten) the daylights out of Stanley Cup contendeds.” ....... 5 of the 9 teams we’ve beaten during the streak are currently sitting in a playoff spot. Two of those being top 4 in points across the entire league. Maybe they didn’t “beat the daylights” out of those teams but last time I checked; a W is a W. And W’s are we got.

Whether anyone saw this coming or not, doesn’t matter. Whether we’ve been a bubble team all year DOES NOT matter.
We are on a 9 game winning streak. One of the longest winning streaks of the season by any team. Stop looking back at the past. Stop looking at our slow start. Stop looking at our bad January and February. We are here. We are now. Winning is fun, embrace it.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
There’s a lot of things wrong with this post... I can’t take it serious.

1.) Who is PHA? ..... Philly? .... maybe?...
2.) “It’s not as if the CBJ have beating (should be beaten) the daylights out of Stanley Cup contendeds.” ....... 5 of the 9 teams we’ve beaten during the streak are currently sitting in a playoff spot. Two of those being top 4 in points across the entire league. Maybe they didn’t “beat the daylights” out of those teams but last time I checked; a W is a W. And W’s are we got.

Whether anyone saw this coming or not, doesn’t matter. Whether we’ve been a bubble team all year DOES NOT matter.
We are on a 9 game winning streak. One of the longest winning streaks of the season by any team. Stop looking back at the past. Stop looking at our slow start. Stop looking at our bad January and February. We are here. We are now. Winning is fun, embrace it.

It's a winning streak. It's cool. It's fun. It's also not beyond a little analysis.

The two top 4 teams (VGK/BOS) both outplayed the CBJ. No big deal. I just wouldn't project the CBJ beating either of these two teams in a 7 games series based on what I saw in those games.

What is most encouraging is the reemergence of Jenner and Wennberg and the play of Vanek. These three need to be going well for this team to do well in the playoffs. Hopefully they can sustain their recent play until season's end.

Cole has been a great addition. I really don't understand why PIT let him go. They had plenty of center depth. Our gain, their loss.

Bob has given up 13 goals in the 6 games he's won during the streak and his worst game was a 90 save percentage.

Teams go on runs. This CBJ run has been a nice one mixed in with some good fortune. They've also managed to win without Jones for the last 2 games. That's no small feat in and of itself.

So, relax CBJSTH! The parade will continue even if I throw a little water on it.

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Seriously. There is never any optimism around here, and when there is glimpses of optimism it’s for a day/night and then comes to a crashing end. It’s sad. You’d think some people don’t want to make the playoffs, the way they talk around here. It’s exhausting.
Agreed.

Off topic, but your new av is awesome! Love the Smashing Pumpkins

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Seriously. There is never any optimism around here, and when there is glimpses of optimism it’s for a day/night and then comes to a crashing end. It’s sad. You’d think some people don’t want to make the playoffs, the way they talk around here. It’s exhausting.

I'd say the majority of the board has been optimistic this whole season. Yeah there have been ebbs and flows, but for the most part the overall population has been positive, especially lately.

However, those who are NOT positive are vocal. Very vocal. Which may be why you think it's "exhausting."

Reactions: mikeyp24
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'd say the majority of the board has been optimistic this whole season. Yeah there have been ebbs and flows, but for the most part the overall population has been positive, especially lately.

However, those who are NOT positive are vocal. Very vocal. Which may be why you think it's "exhausting."

I think the majority of the board is neither optimistic nor pessimistic. They just take the season in as it comes and tries to enjoy the ride. There are some vocal folks who are a bit unreasonably positive - WE are Cup contenders! from day one. They seem to be somewhat less vocal than more negative posters, but are Pollyanna-ish.

There are a number, yourself included who are unreasonably pessimistic - OMG FIRE everyone, this team is a lottery team that sucks! I think the negative posters are the most vocal and tiresome. Why all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing?

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
I think the majority of the board is neither optimistic nor pessimistic. They just take the season in as it comes and tries to enjoy the ride. There are some vocal folks who are a bit unreasonably positive - WE are Cup contenders! from day one. They seem to be somewhat less vocal than more negative posters, but are Pollyanna-ish.

There are a number, yourself included who are unreasonably pessimistic - OMG FIRE everyone, this team is a lottery team that sucks! I think the negative posters are the most vocal and tiresome. Why all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing?

Very well said

I’ve for sure had my moments of frustration where I’ve been like “this team is pathetic” “**** this” etc. But I don’t see the point in why some “fans” feel the need to constantly point out every single fault and flaw, but are rarely seen when the team is winning. Yet, they come out of the woodwork when the team hits a rough patch.
It’s kinda like...do you want the team to do well or not? They’re going for their 10th straight win and are right in the middle of a run to the playoffs. Why the **** can’t you be happy about that?
It’s almost like they love to see when this team does bad. Like they thrive on it just for the thrill of b**ching, and to talk about the next shiny thing in the upcoming draft.

Whether you’re optimistic or pessimistic, or anything in between, just stay even keel and take it game by game. One win doesn’t make you a cup contender, and one loss doesn’t make you a lottery team. Regardless of who said win or loss was against. As we know, it’s a long season of ups and downs, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

How about living in the now and just enjoying it? Besides we can’t do jack **** about it anyways. Just enjoy watching hockey, and root your team on.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Still comes off as college fan town mentality to me. OSU playing Rutgers in football is not the same as CBJ playing the Red Wings. The boards are painful enough to read when CBJ lose, but the "yeah...we won, but I'm not happy because we didn't jam the puck down their throats"and "We didn't win, the other team lost" even sucks fun out of winning. I swear it was more fun here 12 years ago when there were no expectations.

BTW...this was a good daylight beating during the recent 11 wins in 13 game streak:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille