Value of: Schenn Trade VS Duchene Trade

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I don't see why someone has to win. Blues got a player that is fitting in well as a top 6 center and Philly got cap space they need to sign their kids.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
As you pointed out, Duchene is a center. That's key.
Schenn has been playing C all season with the Blues and lately between Schwartz and Tarasenko. Right now they are possibly the best top line in the NHL just collecting tons of points.

Reactions: hatcher

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
Schenn has been playing C all season with the Blues and lately between Schwartz and Tarasenko. Right now they are possibly the best top line in the NHL just collecting tons of points.

nope. Matt takes more faceoffs, so he is a center. Schenn is not...

Edit: this is sarcasm

Last edited:
Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Haha yes, absolutely. It is in reference to the other guys posting about how MD is a more complete center because he takes more draws.

Schenn is currently centering the best like in hockey atm... I loved the trade when it was announced, and even more so now!

Its funny to me how Schenn and Couturier - two players who everyone seemed to think werent gifted enough to be 1C's - are currently centering some of the best lines in hockey. Small samples, of course, but entertaining nonetheless.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Haha yes, absolutely. It is in reference to the other guys posting about how MD is a more complete center because he takes more draws.

Schenn is currently centering the best like in hockey atm... I loved the trade when it was announced, and even more so now!
I gotcha now. Absolutely!

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
FlyersBlues
+Got two firsts
Got rid of Schenn
Got rid of Lehtera
Got Schenn
-LehteraTwo Firsts
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Seems like a mutually beneficial trade.

Exactly. Long-term, the cap space is a huge factor as well. We can pay the kids (Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, etc.) with Schenn's $.

Whatever he is for St. Louis now, Brayden Schenn wasn't going to be with Philly. He was a good player here, but he had already met his ceiling here.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schenn fits the Blues style perfectly. I wish we had 3 more Schenn’s, one for each line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It'll definitely be interesting to see how much of Schenn's season is the adrenaline of finally getting the chance to center some stars, and not be trapped in Giroux's shadow...and how much is Schenn finally getting to make full use of the talent that had made him such a hyped prospect.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I said it before, but Schenn has had good runs with Philly as well.

In 2015/16, Schenn had 44 points in 46 games to end the season. Of course the issue is what he did the rest of the year.

He has fit in perfectly with St.L. Good for them since that's why they traded for him. Obviously for Philly, Hextall is looking at the future more than the present. How the deal ends up on their side won't be known for years.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Imminent walking UFA
Late 1st lottery protected
Prospect who has already been passed by players picked by Ottawa in the same draft in later rounds who projects as a 3rd liner best case scenario
3rd
Cap Dump

For
1st line centre with term

= Overpayment

Never change HF

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Schenn is friggin awesome, would have loved him on the Sens.

I think he fits the Blues perfectly, and they already have Tarasenko and Shwartz as big offensive talent. Ottawa needed more high end offensive flair, so I think Duchene fits that mold. Add him to Stone and Hoffman and we got three key offensive players in our core going forward.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Imminent walking UFA
Late 1st lottery protected
Prospect who has already been passed by players picked by Ottawa in the same draft in later rounds who projects as a 3rd liner best case scenario
3rd
Cap Dump

For
1st line centre with term

= Overpayment

Never change HF

I like the down play of Turris being a capable, albeit low-end 1C as 'imminent walking UFA' and Duchene's additional year being talked up as 'with term'.

Trading for Duchene was the right move, as has been covered in this and many other threads. But let's not pretend like it wasn't costly.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I like the down play of Turris being a capable, albeit low-end 1C as 'imminent walking UFA' and Duchene's additional year being talked up as 'with term'.

Trading for Duchene was the right move, as has been covered in this and many other threads. But let's not pretend like it wasn't costly.

Turris is good but for whatever reason Sens brass wasn't going to offer KT anything over 5 years. His agent is notoriously difficult so it was pretty plain to see that there was going to be no concessions made. And that extra year with Duchene is extremely advantageous as it is aiding the Senators cap flexibility going into Karlsson's negotiations.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Turris is good but for whatever reason Sens brass wasn't going to offer KT anything over 5 years. His agent is notoriously difficult so it was pretty plain to see that there was going to be no concessions made. And that extra year with Duchene is extremely advantageous as it is aiding the Senators cap flexibility going into Karlsson's negotiations.

I understand all of that. I also understand that bringing in a player like Duchene could help to convince Karlsson to stay and re-sign, I' get all that, and have said as much in another thread. I just find it comical that you downplay the assets you gave up (1 UFA 1C as "imminent walking UFA" and talk up the one you got (an additional year, while important, hardly classifies as "with term"). That is classic HF.

Again, it was the right move to make given the Senators needs - I won't argue that. But the senators traded that package for a small-ish upgrade at 1C and an additional year of contract. Its not far-fetched to think that you (rightly) over paid.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Well here in the Show-Me state we believe in what you can show us and so far Schenn Has been showing everything we have been lacking in the center position for last 5-6 years. He has performed Extremely well as our #1 center is in top 20 of the entire league of scoring and looks magical with Schwartz and "Terrorsenko". Yes terror cause he can terrorize your team. You want to double team him ... thats fine cause Schwartzie will be wide open to score.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
OP is looking at the numbers all wrong.

Duchene numbers last season (41 points) on a team that had the worst offence in the league heavily drags down his numbers and should be taken with a grain of salt when looking at him moving forward (same with his former teammate Landeskog who is far better than the 33 points he scored last season).

Prior to last season Duchene had 227 points over 276 in the 4 years prior (67 points pace). Duchene also has 10 points in 14 games so far this season. It's reasonable to expect him to be a 65 point center or better for the Sens.

The best stretch of Schenn's career was the last two seasons where he had 55 and 59 points.

Duchene is a center. Schenn is only sometimes a center.

Duchene has also seen harder competition.

Over the last 4 years Schenn also has 78 PP points vs. Duchene 48 PP points. 5 on 5 production means a lot more than a guy who got placed in a good spot to play on a good PP.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The perception of Duchene among GM’s is much higher than it is on hfboards.

Pretty much.

Duchene has a very high ceiling. Unfortunately he was stuck on mostly poor Colorado teams.

Not an excuse however: his tenure there was underwhelming considering how good he is and how high he was drafted.

Lots of teams were after Duchene, I don't think that many teams were after Schenn however. Being a "natural center" made him more attractive to more teams.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Over the last 4 years Schenn also has 78 PP points vs. Duchene 48 PP points. 5 on 5 production means a lot more than a guy who got placed in a good spot to play on a good PP.

Adding to this, Schenn was probably the least important part of the Flyers PP as well. He barely touched the puck unless Giroux set him up for a shot in the slot or he crashed looking for a rebound. Every other member of the PP was heavily involved in moving the puck around. The fact that Giroux has also been able to do that with Val Filppula on a few occasions so far this season (who literally hates shooting so much) goes to show how good Giroux is as setting up goals in the slot (most accurate passer in the league last season).

That being said, Schenn is a solid player. He won't finish the season anywhere near a PPG like he is doing right now but he should be good for his usual 55-60 points. The Flyers now just have to hope that they hit on one of those two 1st rounders. Morgan Frost has been excellent so far (4th in scoring for U19 forwards in the OHL - drafted 27th overall with STL 2017 pick). Having another 1st in a super deep 2018 Draft is a great asset to have. It can be traded to fill a hole (perhaps even Schenn if Oskar Lindblom isn't called up to fill it) or it can be used to trade up, or they can stand pat and nab another nice prospect.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad