Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
1662763280398.png

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sarnia looked pretty damn good I thought. Definitely carried the pace and play for at least the first 15 mins. 2nd Knights PP took some wind out of the sails. Made London look silly on their 1st PP though. 2 great short handed chances. Brochu has saved several real solid scoring chances. No surprise lol.

Sign me up for the Sandis Vilmanis fan club. Ruzicka 2.0 but with more effort lol. 2 unreal plays for high quality chances. Really protects the puck well when driving the net. Exactly what we need.

Grover steady. Wouldn’t say he has been tested under much pressure yet.

3rd line is having a rough go. Not too much clicking. Lots of chasing the puck. 4th line all energy with a few decent looks.

Ritchie is making it hard to ignore him on the ice. Looking more smooth with the puck with an added gear to his speed it seems.

See what the 2nd brings. London looking a little more lively towards the end.

Reactions: StingUpdates

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Lalkin given a game misconduct at the end of the 1st. No idea why. Might have just lost his chance at a roster spot there.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Teams switched performances in the 2nd. Not a good period. Would love to se the refs stop calling these stupid petty calls so they can feel relevant on the ice. 5 on 5 it’s been good hockey.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not a lot of good came from the 3rd either. Coach won’t be happy I don’t think. Too many passengers out there tonight.

Hill looks way faster. I’d be taking a harder look between him and Burke. Trade might go up a bit with that beauty short handed goal.

Romeo better cut that “carry the puck up the ice” act out right quick. You don’t have the skill. Stop.

Mast sucked. Majority of the D looked gassed.

Both goalies played great. Grover is my #2 with ease though.

Not many standout moments. Liked Vilmanis, Hill, Lantz, Wainwright, MacDonnell, Doucette and Ritchie tonight.

I expect Sarnia to return the favour tomorrow. Brochu was the difference for London.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Just watched the game back now. Honestly a lot to like IMO. This was London's opening night roster. on F, D (no Mailloux but he may be out a bit) & Brochu in net the entire 60 minutes. While we sat arguably 4 of our top 5 Fs in Voit, Burke, Sikic, Namestnikov then Dillingham & Gaudreau. Loved our physicality & aggressiveness. They weren't giving LDN anything. Grover looked good which is reassuring. Surzycia was fine but should've had the GWG.

The imports were fantastic. Lantz was way more physical than I anticipated, made some nice passes & had two glorious chances on the PP with the 2nd ringing off the bar. Vilmanis is a beast. We are gonna love watching him play the next 2 seasons. Wainwright was flying up&down the ice. He's gonna be a menace on the forecheck & penalty kill as will MacDonell who had some really good moments too especially that sick dangle in the 2nd when Brochu stoned him.

Lalkin, Harper & Doherty did much of nothing for their chances of making it. Doherty looked a bit overwhelmed which is understandable, but the other two just haven't done anything all camp or tonight. Doucette already playing PK says a lot for his chances. Like his speed, tenacity paired with Wainwright & McIntyre on line 4.

I liked how all the D defended especially 5on5 but as Ferda said Romeo needs to stop thinking he's Erik fricken Karlsson. Like he can do it from time to time but not as often as he tries. Needs to pick his spots better. Mast has a terrible habit of trying to do things himself & we saw that a few times. Hopefully cuts it out when we start for real. Thought Daviault & Ritchie were really good, especially Ritchie. Loved the puck movement & looks they generated on their lone PP & the PK was really strong.

Brochu (who's tremendous) is in for a long season if he's gonna lose his sh*t every time someone touches him. Shocking he didn't get a penalty for whacking McIntyre up high in the 3rd. That was dangerous. It's pre season so who really cares, but the refs were in mid-season, @ London form lol. Absolutely no chance they PPs should've been 5-1. All-in-all though not to bad. See if London sends a similar lineup tomorrow or one of mostly rooks.

Last edited:

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Just watched the game back now. Honestly a lot to like IMO. This was London's opening night roster. on F, D (no Mailloux but he may be out a bit) & Brochu in net the entire 60 minutes. While we sat arguably 4 of our top 5 Fs in Voit, Burke, Sikic, Namestnikov then Dillingham & Gaudreau. Loved our physicality & aggressiveness. They weren't giving LDN anything. Grover looked good which is reassuring. Surzycia was fine but should've had the GWG.

The imports were fantastic. Lantz was way more physical than I anticipated, made some nice passes & had two glorious chances on the PP with the 2nd ringing off the bar. Vilmanis is a beast. We are gonna love watching him play the next 2 seasons. Wainwright was flying up&down the ice. He's gonna be a menace on the forecheck & penalty kill as will MacDonell who had some really good moments too especially that sick dangle in the 2nd when Brochu stoned him.

Lalkin, Harper & Doherty did much of nothing for their chances of making it. Doherty looked a bit overwhelmed which is understandable, but the other two just haven't done anything all camp or tonight. Doucette already playing PK says a lot for his chances. Like his speed, tenacity paired with Wainwright & McIntyre on line 4.

I liked how all the D defended especially 5on5 but as Ferda said Romeo needs to stop thinking he's Erik fricken Karlsson. Like he can do it from time to time but not as often as he tries. Needs to pick his spots better. Mast has a terrible habit of trying to do things himself & we saw that a few times. Hopefully cuts it out when we start for real. Thought Daviault & Ritchie were really good, especially Ritchie. Loved the puck movement & looks they generated on their lone PP & the PK was really strong.

Brochu (who's tremendous) is in for a long season if he's gonna lose his sh*t every time someone touches him. Shocking he didn't get a penalty for whacking McIntyre up high in the 3rd. That was dangerous. It's pre season so who really cares, but the refs were in mid-season, @ London form lol. Absolutely no chance they PPs should've been 5-1. All-in-all though not to bad. See if London sends a similar lineup tomorrow or one of mostly rooks.

I think some people are pumping the tires of Sikic and Namestnikov a little too much. I personally do not view them as top 5 forwards on this current roster. I'd have Vilmanis already ahead of both. His skill set, IQ and skating already blow both Max and Marko out of the water. I think too many people put stock into games played in the OHL. Skill is skill, regardless of time spent in the OHL. Great hockey players adjust quick, and what we have seen so far with Vilmanis is exactly that. Lantz even looked a hell of a lot better than I anticipated.

If this team wants to be successful, it needs to be coached with a very short leash for the 3rd & 4th year guys. As far as I'm concerned, we have a 3rd and 4th line with guys who can slot in ANYWHERE in the line up. Head on a shrivel boys...It's going to be an extremely competitive season within the roster itself! This will translate well on the ice when it counts.

Martone gripping the stick a little too tight. You can tell he wants to be a factor. He was off on shooting accuracy and had a hard time puck handling. 1st game jitters I'm sure. He tried to fight Barkey but the Knights player skated away behind the protection of others. At least we know Barkey is a little weasel going forward. If you want to take a shot at someone, you better answer the bell if needed.

Gotta admit I was a little intoxicated while posting last night. My apologies for anything that did not make sense. I need to start billing the Sarnia Sting my rehab bills. Being drunk/high is the only way you can watch Sting hockey without losing your mind and wanting to jump off a cliff lmao.

Edit - Also, we gotta remember Gaudreau was pretty famous for making a scene when touched in the past. Brochu about to feel the frustration of your own team not being able to clear their own zone or take care of bodies in front of him. lol

• Haha

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021
I'm not sold on Lantz at all. His skating is worse than O'Donnell's. He definitely has a good hockey IQ, but he is not an elite player, especially as a 19 year old. His best shift was on a 4 on 3, which I think just about anyone can look good on.

Vilmanis looks good. He is smooth and smart and can score 40 goals. Not sure how good he is defensively in his own end, but offensively he will be great.

Mast looked lost and disinterested. I think that he will never be an elite D man, even though he has lots of tools. I don't see what everyone else sees in Daviault. Great hands, but lousy defensively, lacks size and is a turnover machine. Ritchie was solid, but had a bad turnover at the end. Why is it so hard for our Dman to get shots through with the goalie pulled? Ritchie and Mast were set up in the final minute and screwed them both up.

I like Glover. Looks good as a backup and will only get better.

As someone mentioned, that was London's main lineup and Sarnia looked pretty good considering they were missing many regulars.

Good start for the boys, but offense is going to be an issue again this year. It must be some kind of coaching philosophy because they have some skilled FW's who should create more than they do (based on last year, obviously).

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I think some people are pumping the tires of Sikic and Namestnikov a little too much. I personally do not view them as top 5 forwards on this current roster. I'd have Vilmanis already ahead of both. His skill set, IQ and skating already blow both Max and Marko out of the water. I think too many people put stock into games played in the OHL. Skill is skill, regardless of time spent in the OHL. Great hockey players adjust quick, and what we have seen so far with Vilmanis is exactly that. Lantz even looked a hell of a lot better than I anticipated.

If this team wants to be successful, it needs to be coached with a very short leash for the 3rd & 4th year guys. As far as I'm concerned, we have a 3rd and 4th line with guys who can slot in ANYWHERE in the line up. Head on a shrivel boys...It's going to be an extremely competitive season within the roster itself! This will translate well on the ice when it counts.

Martone gripping the stick a little too tight. You can tell he wants to be a factor. He was off on shooting accuracy and had a hard time puck handling. 1st game jitters I'm sure. He tried to fight Barkey but the Knights player skated away behind the protection of others. At least we know Barkey is a little weasel going forward. If you want to take a shot at someone, you better answer the bell if needed.

Gotta admit I was a little intoxicated while posting last night. My apologies for anything that did not make sense. I need to start billing the Sarnia Sting my rehab bills. Being drunk/high is the only way you can watch Sting hockey without losing your mind and wanting to jump off a cliff lmao.

Edit - Also, we gotta remember Gaudreau was pretty famous for making a scene when touched in the past. Brochu about to feel the frustration of your own team not being able to clear their own zone or take care of bodies in front of him. lol
Yah when I said 4 of our best 5 the 5th was Vilmanis but not as 5th best. He's probably our 2nd best forward, but arguably our best NHL prospect outside of Gaudreau. Big, strong, fast, skilled. A lot of pro upside.

Agree tho with your points, same with spaceman, but I do think your underselling Lantz just a touch. Don't think he's elite or anything but I think he's a solid player. I think with our full T6 in scoring won't be an issue but we'll have to wait & see for that

Your 2nd to last point is as accurate as it gets lmfao but with how much they charge for beer at the games I wait till after to go drink my sorrows away 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ferda11

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Voit, Namestnikov are already gone (Toronto, Vancouver). Burke & Ritchie are going to BUFs rookie tournament in a few days as are the rest. Seca says he expects a full lineup for the Windsor games.

Sarnia is streaming the game on their YouTube tonight for those not attending.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Lines tonight:
Burke-Sikic-Vilmanis
MacDonell-Lantz-Martone
Filak-Wainwright-Doherty
McIntyre-Hill-Doucette

Romeo-Dillingham
Mast-Daviault
MacDonald-Campbell

Gaudreau in net.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Lines tonight:
Burke-Sikic-Vilmanis
MacDonell-Lantz-Martone
Filak-Wainwright-Doherty
McIntyre-Hill-Doucette

Romeo-Dillingham
Mast-Daviault
MacDonald-Campbell

Gaudreau in net.
Looking at the London line up, Sarnia should be walking away with the win quite easily. Key word should lol.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Good 1st. Loving Vilmanis. Martone had 2or3 great looks. Lantz looks good. PP looked great (once set up)

Gift of a 2nd goal but we'll take it lol. Their G made some great saves before that.

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
Looks like Martone and MacDonell have some nice chemistry early. Angus set him up 2x but not luck on the finish.
Vilmanis just looks like a player so far. Off to the second.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
How far behind is the You Tube channel behind the Knights radio play by play ?

Knights radio is behind the video feed.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Another mediocre 2nd. The MacDonell-Martone-Lantz line has been dominant. Martone is soo close to breaking thru.

See what the 3rd brings.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Now that you live in London, do you make the drive to Sarnia for most Sting games or watch on tv?

Last season I attended a dozen games or so in Sarnia. This year it will be 3-4 if that. Between the gas, ticket, food & beverage, it quickly turns into $100+ trip easily. I'll defiantly be going to the games in London and hopefully catch them in Hamilton with the old lady's family, but that's going to be about it for in-person attendance. Caught the majority of the games on the CHL app.

Reactions: nelli27

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
IMO the better team again, especially 5on5. LDN goalies made some really nice saves. Thought our D played really well. Mast much better. MacDonald was impressive. His skating looks really solid. Campbell can definitely play in the O but might fall victim to the number's game.

Vilmanis, Lantz, Martone, MacDonell our best Fs. 3rd line was all over it. Would've liked to see more from Filak, Sikic. Think the T6 will look MUCH better with Voit, Namestnikov's creativity, speed & vision in it. Guys like Filak, Burke aren't creators they r finishers who go to the right spot & without those 2 they can't do that.

Now guys head off to camp & the rest get 2 weeks of practice. A lot to like thru 2 games (5on5 play, defence, physicality, down low play, speed on the rush) but got some things to work on as all teams do.

Reactions: honeydripper

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Nice story on Doucette. Thought he had a solid game last night & fits really well with our F group. Adds some solid depth.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Are we expecting any guys to stick around longer for main camps/exhibition games?

Attachments

• 1663256124696.png
    1663256124696.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 2

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Are we expecting any guys to stick around longer for main camps/exhibition games?
I would've figured Gaudreau, Voit, Mast as Signed prospects would maybe get invited to main camp just for the experience, but Seca said he expects the full team back next weekend vs WSR.

I'm more worried Ritchie performs really well & BUF signs him to the AHL lol. Be an absolute disaster for us. Obviously want him to go pro but after this season.. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad