Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
It's all good. Understand what u were saying. I should've said for a few "reports" amongst this group or vs other 16s/17s.

On another note this has to be one of the weirder pre season schedules. Usually we play LDN pretty quickly, then WSR the following weekend.

This year we don't play LDN until 9th-10th then don't play WSR until 23rd-24th. Gonna be a ton of practice time. Definitely preferred the other way but least this should be good for getting systems/structure a bit more dialed in

Speaking of London - we do not see them until after Christmas as far as the regular season goes. As someone who now lives in London, that sucks. Enjoyed seeing a fair amount of Sarnia in London last season.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Speaking of London - we do not see them until after Christmas as far as the regular season goes. As someone who now lives in London, that sucks. Enjoyed seeing a fair amount of Sarnia in London last season.
Yah I can't remember the last time we didn't play them until the home&home. Pretty ridiculous scheduling honestly as we only play SSM once in 2022 too. Gonna see those 2 teams 11 times from Christmas on.

Hopefully he has a good season. Real fun player to watch. Super creative.

It showed immediately the work Wainwright put in. Hopefully we see the same thing with McIntyre cause physically he could be a beast.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Yah I can't remember the last time we didn't play them until the home&home. Pretty ridiculous scheduling honestly as we only play SSM once in 2022 too. Gonna see those 2 teams 11 times from Christmas on.
Maybe trying to save the swings through the US until later in hopes of easing border crossing requirements?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

U can tell there's a large expectation with this team from management/coaches. They want them battling right from the start & that's been on display just with how much they are practicing/working out etc.

Also interesting Seca says they'll have 10 players gone to camps/prospect tournaments in the coming weeks. Big chance for some of the rookies/FAs to make an impression.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sikic, Burke definitely look quicker & more agile IMO. Mast looks a lot smoother. Vilmanis is impressive. Wainwright & Degelas 2 goals apiece. I think Degelas will need to up his pace of play to be an OHLer but he has the skills.

Wainwright is gonna force himself into the T9. He looks fantastic even with other vets. Other than not much to take away. Ice was awful & with so many guys playing there wasn't much of a flow.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
So am I to assume that Pryce is gone as well? Don't see his name anywhere unless I missed it. Also surprised Cooksey and Vom Scheidt were released without invite to main camp.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
So am I to assume that Pryce is gone as well? Don't see his name anywhere unless I missed it. Also surprised Cooksey and Vom Scheidt were released without invite to main camp.
Yah he & Vogelsberg are gone. Yah I'd have those 2 over some of the other rookies they kept.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Where was Lalkin today?
Would've liked to see how he competed against the other guys he's up against

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Knights pay a kings ransom for Dickinson

Full transaction:

London Acquires:
D – Sam Dickinson

Niagara Acquires:

• 2nd Round Pick in 2024 (London)
  • 2nd Round Pick in 2025 (London)
  • 2nd Round Pick in 2026 (London)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2023 (North Bay)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2025 (London)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2026 (London)
  • 5th Round Pick in 2023 (London)

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Where was Lalkin today?
Would've liked to see how he competed against the other guys he's up against
Would imagine he is banged up since everyone else played I think.
Knights pay a kings ransom for Dickinson

Full transaction:

London Acquires:
D – Sam Dickinson

Niagara Acquires:

• 2nd Round Pick in 2024 (London)
  • 2nd Round Pick in 2025 (London)
  • 2nd Round Pick in 2026 (London)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2023 (North Bay)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2025 (London)
  • 3rd Round Pick in 2026 (London)
  • 5th Round Pick in 2023 (London)
Quite the trade. We went a few years without LDN doing one like this so we were due lol. Probably reinforces they'll be sellers this yr giving up so many picks for a 16 yr old & a majority of their core is under 18.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
Would imagine he is banged up since everyone else played I think.

Quite the trade. We went a few years without LDN doing one like this so we were due lol. Probably reinforces they'll be sellers this yr giving up so many picks for a 16 yr old & a majority of their core is under 18.
I expect them to recoup some if they trade Brochu at the deadline.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarnia sign one of the FA Dmen at camp. Mainly Willem Posthumus, Brett Talbot or Ethan Wright.

All 3 have shown quite well IMO. Posthumus who's 18 (6'4, 220 ibs) played high-school hockey but he can really skate for a big guy. Has shown really intriguing tools.

Talbot (6'0", 185 ibs) & Wright (6'1", 185 ibs) are both 17. Talbot has shown a bit of a mean streak. Likes to throw the body. Wright is a good skating D who's defended pretty well.

It would make more sense for one of them to be the 7th D than Campbell who I'd imagine Sarnia would want to be playing consistently. Adds an extra bit of depth that they lack past their 6D + Campbell too.

Up front I think it's completely up in the air. I think there are 10 locks. McIntyre looked better but didn't play a ton so need to see more. Harper, Lalkin, Doherty, Degelas, Durham, Will Mitchell, Tyson Doucette all have a legit shot in my opinion but there may only be 1 spot.

Last edited:

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
I'm really interested in seeing what management doea with Degelas, not a flashy skater but he really knows how to score and has good size.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Really solid game. Good pace & physical with some great saves, goals. The guys that stood out to me were~

- McIntyre his skating looks miles ahead of where it was. Looks confident. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the team.

- Vilmanis. Once he gets comfortable he's putting up some numbers in this league. Great skater, big body, strong with solid puck skills.

- Tyson Doucette has been the best FA at camp & showed out again tonight. I really hope they give him some pre season games. He's been far better than Harper, Lalkin & a bit more consistent than Degelas & Doherty.

- Romeo was very good. Skating real well, made good decisions & laid some big hits. That's what he needs to be for us & we'll be thrilled. Nothing more, nothing less.

- Will Mitchell is another FA who's giving himself a chance. Good skater with some skill.

- Wainwright continues to standout. He looks like a guy about to break out.

- Sikic&Burke both look quicker & more agile. Burke especially stood out. I thought there was a chance he'd plateau but he looks like a guy who will improve on last yr. Sikic should have a strong year.

- Grover looked strong. I think he has the backup role secured. Chartier has promise but definitely needs a yr. Like his upside tho.

- Martone does so many things well for a young guy. He's really physical, defensively responsible, helluva shot & a real good passer. Such nice hands for a big guy.

- Campbell has all the tools to be a real good Dman in this league. Big fan of his upside. Quick, agile, head always up, good outlets & good offensive instincts.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Really solid game. Good pace & physical with some great saves, goals. The guys that stood out to me were~

- McIntyre his skating looks miles ahead of where it was. Looks confident. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the team.

- Vilmanis. Once he gets comfortable he's putting up some numbers in this league. Great skater, big body, strong with solid puck skills.

- Tyson Doucette has been the best FA at camp & showed out again tonight. I really hope they give him some pre season games. He's been far better than Harper, Lalkin & a bit more consistent than Degelas & Doherty.

- Romeo was very good. Skating real well, made good decisions & laid some big hits. That's what he needs to be for us & we'll be thrilled. Nothing more, nothing less.

- Will Mitchell is another FA who's giving himself a chance. Good skater with some skill.

- Wainwright continues to standout. He looks like a guy about to break out.

- Sikic&Burke both look quicker & more agile. Burke especially stood out. I thought there was a chance he'd plateau but he looks like a guy who will improve on last yr. Sikic should have a strong year.

- Grover looked strong. I think he has the backup role secured. Chartier has promise but definitely needs a yr. Like his upside tho.

- Martone does so many things well for a young guy. He's really physical, defensively responsible, helluva shot & a real good passer. Such nice hands for a big guy.

- Campbell has all the tools to be a real good Dman in this league. Big fan of his upside. Quick, agile, head always up, good outlets & good offensive instincts.
Great write up!
How many players make up the final roster?

Dougie Daryl Clark

Nov 21, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised to see Sarnia sign one of the FA Dmen at camp. Mainly Willem Posthumus, Brett Talbot or Ethan Wright.

All 3 have shown quite well IMO. Posthumus who's 18 (6'4, 220 ibs) played high-school hockey but he can really skate for a big guy. Has shown really intriguing tools.

Talbot (6'0", 185 ibs) & Wright (6'1", 185 ibs) are both 17. Talbot has shown a bit of a mean streak. Likes to throw the body. Wright is a good skating D who's defended pretty well.

It would make more sense for one of them to be the 7th D than Campbell who I'd imagine Sarnia would want to be playing consistently. Adds an extra bit of depth that they lack past their 6D + Campbell too.

Up front I think it's completely up in the air. I think there are 10 locks. McIntyre looked better but didn't play a ton so need to see more. Harper, Lalkin, Doherty, Degelas, Durham, Will Mitchell, Tyson Doucette all have a legit shot in my opinion but there may only be 1 spot.
Here is my 2 cents. Watching in person for first time tonight.
I liked Doucette. He had some jam and looked like he wanted it bad
Posthumous was only noticeable because he has some edge and size. He's a very poor skater but this team is missing some nasty so maybe as 7th or 8th D.
Martone was mostly quiet tonight but I'm sure he will pick it up
Degalas is a cut for me. Looked a bit lost
I liked Campbell on the back end. Looked smooth.
Agree that Vilmanis looks promising and will do well but the Swede was mostly invisible.
Sean Doherty had some good moments but also nervous ones which is understandable. That's about all that stood out to me for the prospects. I'll wait on vets comments until real exhibition games.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Posthumous was only noticeable because he has some edge and size. He's a very poor skater but this team is missing some nasty so maybe as 7th or 8th D.
Agree that Vilmanis looks promising and will do well but the Swede was mostly invisible.
Sean Doherty had some good moments but also nervous ones which is understandable. That's about all that stood out to me for the prospects. I'll wait on vets comments until real exhibition games.
To me (only seen twice so take it with a grain of salt) Lantz looks like a guy who's game is IQ based. Likes to survey his options, play at his pace offensively & be a reliable 2way guy defensively. Has been good on draws.

He won't rack up big points but should be a valuable player down the middle i think. Even if he had been let's say a 65-70+ PT C i still think we would need a truly elite C at the deadline to be a true contender. It's our biggest hole imo.

Agreed on Doucette. I'm a fan. I could see him Wainwright & McIntyre forming a really solid, speedy line. He's strong on the puck too. Really hope he gets in games vs LDN/WSR. Doherty is gonna be a real good player if he develops properly, Campbell too.

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I really do like the makeup of this team. We have a little bit of everything. It's gonna be a really really fast team. Voit, Namestnikov, MacDonell, Wainwright all have wheels for days. Burke's skating looks great, Vilmanis moves very well. Sikic moves quite well for his size. Doucette (if he's on the team) is a strong skater. Filak is a solid skater, Martone moves fairly well for a 16 yr old who's 6'4", McIntyre's skating looks much improved & Lantz looks average at skating. Almost no weak skaters especially up front.

They have guys who are good down low/along the boards in Sikic, Vilmanis, Filak, Martone & Burke. MacDonell & Namestnikov despite lacking size win more battles than they lose & McIntyre could be really strong below the dots with his size, strength & better skating.

Have some good creativity & skill with Voit, Namestnikov, Martone, Wainwright, Lantz & Vilmanis. They should be better at finishing with Vilmanis, Martone added to go with Voit & Burke. Hopefully Namestnikov, Sikic take that next step (look like they will but still tbd) & put up 20-25 apiece. Same with Filak, MacDonell tho maybe not as many with limited PP time/playing 3rd line presumably. Wainwright showed a good scoring touch last yr & looks great so far tho same as 11&19 he won't get a ton of ice time.

On D you have some size with Romeo (6'5"), Mast (6'5") & Dillingham (6'1") & all 3 skate pretty fricken well honestly. Especially Romeo. He showed off some wheels tonight. Mast's stride looks much cleaner, quicker & Dillingham has improved a crazy amount over the years at skating. Daviault, Ritchie both skate well, move it well & probably run the PP units. MacDonald is average at it but as your 6th that's more than fine. Campbell moves really well if he makes it or comes up to play.

Then obviously should be really strong in net with Gaudreau & so far Grover has shown good improvements but we'll need to see it in game action before being 100% confident with him. Should really be a team that can role 4 lines & 3 pairs with no problem. Should be able to play different styles to win which is HUGE come playoffs. But, we'll have to see how it all fits & meshes come the regular season because we all know what happens when there's optimism with this team 😂😂

SpaceMan81

Oct 16, 2021
I was at the game tonight.... Obviously not the most physical game, not very organized but here are my thoughts:

Lantz- I do not see major upside at all, especially as a 19 year old.

Burke/Hill- I still question why it is assumed Hill is gone. I think he does more for the team than Burke. But they are obviously both quality players.

McIntyre- I thought he was dominant in the first half of the scrimmage. Skating and skills have improved. His upside is higher than just about anyone but we will see if he gets a bigger role. I hope he gets traded to a team that wants size and toughness (think Josh Anderson) but I would not want to be the GM or coach who gave him away.

Filak- looked good with the puck and has good IQ. Will make a leap this year. Why he isn't playing centre is a mystery to me. Just a smart player.

Vilmanis- he looks good. I think he has good vision and is a strong skater.Could put up 80 points for sure.

Namestikov/MacDonnell- both were invisible out there. Will get long leashes as 1st round picks but neither did much out there. Not as worried about Angus because he is a gamer and isn't as offensive. Max is a baby when things don't go his way and is selfish out there. I'd trade him tomorrow. Him going after Posthumus tonight was pathetic. He wouldn't do that to Romeo or Dilly.

Martone- will be a good player. I don't see him scoring as much in his first year as others have mentioned. It's hard as a 16yr old so he will come along slowly.

Wainwright- I don't see what every else sees in him. He is a 4th line C imo and that's it. Too small, plays on the perimeter and I don't see him standing out. Clearly the coaches like him, so I'm probably wrong.

Voit- I hope he wasn't trying tonight. If he was, then he looked terrible. But again, as a vet, maybe he was coasting a bit.

Sikic- depends on his role. I like his game and think he can make a leap to 60pts. Smart player and would be a great 2nd line C, or a great 3rd line checking centre going up against another teams top line.

FA's/Rookie FW's- anyone who thinks that a bunch of them are going to get a sniff are crazy. This team has way too FW's who are signed to 4 yr school deals. It's not so easy to cut guys with deals (Lalkin, McIntyre, etc) when you have a financial stake in them. I thought Doucette's stats look better than his game. Daglias was invisible, as was Harper. This was a pretty tame game with not a lot of hitting, so I don't see any of these guys cracking the lineup once real hockey starts. Good players, but not standouts. Vogelsberg had a great camp last year and didn't get a ton of game action, only to be cut this year. So it's tough to move into a lineup with so many other options already signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia