Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Sting have 5 more games and are at 91 points ..... I know its just a number but it would be cool to see them get 100 points. Also, Kyrou a lock for MVP?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I gotta admit that I was almost ready to leave after the 2nd....the first 2 periods were god awful. Ruzicka has been by far the most frustrating player. He is pure laziness that only shows an interest of hustle (I use that term lightly) in the offensive zone. I was saying all game that coach needs to sit his ass or move him off the top line and thank god that finally happened. Immediate spark was lit as soon as Franco was moved between Kyrou and Sali.

That was quite the 3rd period. total dominance by the Sting and the Hive was buzzing once that comeback started. Ang with Kyrou is scary fast. Loved it. Glad we got that 43rd win to set the new franchise record.

Reactions: honey bee

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
This is what happens when the team fails to add a goaltender. The Attack are forth in goals scored , outshoots most opponents and take the lead, then in almost every game collapse by giving up multiple goals.

You're welcome.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
This is what happens when the team fails to add a goaltender. The Attack are forth in goals scored , outshoots most opponents and take the lead, then in almost every game collapse by giving up multiple goals.

You're welcome.

It's a shame really. OS has a great team but without a doubt they will not see anything past the 2nd round this year with their current goaltending situation. Almost everyone had OS being number 1 at the start of this season but the stipulation was they find a solid number 1 guy and they have failed to do that. Looks bad on the GM

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010

You're welcome.

Was any of the Sting goals the fault of the goalie? I don't think so. The Sting had 0 scoring chances in the first 2 periods after the very first play of the game. Owen Sound were great defensively in the 1st two periods, not hard when your opposition doesn't skate. But in the 3rd, when the Sting took over the game, Owen Sound was terrible defensively. They had troubles getting the puck out and that led to the goals. I don't think any of the goals were Lafreniere's fault. Just a team on its heels being dominated by a stronger team.

Reactions: Texcanuck

honey bee

Sep 29, 2011
I gotta admit that I was almost ready to leave after the 2nd....the first 2 periods were god awful. Ruzicka has been by far the most frustrating player. He is pure laziness that only shows an interest of hustle (I use that term lightly) in the offensive zone. I was saying all game that coach needs to sit his ass or move him off the top line and thank god that finally happened. Immediate spark was lit as soon as Franco was moved between Kyrou and Sali.

That was quite the 3rd period. total dominance by the Sting and the Hive was buzzing once that comeback started. Ang with Kyrou is scary fast. Loved it. Glad we got that 43rd win to set the new franchise record.

We contemplated leaving after second as well, it was a dismal game up to that point. Completely agree about Ruzicka, I don't know what is up with him. So glad to see Franco play on the top line, brought the spark that was needed. Let's hope he stays up there, there is no one on that team that plays as hard as he does EVERY shift.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Was any of the Sting goals the fault of the goalie? I don't think so. The Sting had 0 scoring chances in the first 2 periods after the very first play of the game. Owen Sound were great defensively in the 1st two periods, not hard when your opposition doesn't skate. But in the 3rd, when the Sting took over the game, Owen Sound was terrible defensively. They had troubles getting the puck out and that led to the goals. I don't think any of the goals were Lafreniere's fault. Just a team on its heels being dominated by a stronger team.

I will agree but I also think that OS lacks a goaltender who can bail them out in situations like that and come up big. We all know how many times Fazio has done that for us when our D has played poor. You need your goalie to steal games for you sometimes, OS can't seem to get that from their two guys this season.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Looking at us vs them, they played their top lines as much as they could thru the whole game. We rolled 4 as usual. At the end, the Sproviero Ruzicka swap and overall fresher legs prevailed. Even so, they were one big save or one questionable penalty shot call away from taking that one. We can’t win while playing how we did in 1st 2 periods.
Subtle advantage Sarnia has is that our PK is made up of “only” secondary offensive players. When they’re all there, pk is mainly McGregor, Ernst, Spro, Salinitri. None of these guys are our primary offensive threats. ( I know - Ernst has a pile of goals... Sal is a first liner) The goal scorers are resting on the bench waiting for their turn when back to even strength, not burnt out on the pk.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I wonder if Kyrou mentioned anything to the coaches about wanting Ruzika off his line? Lol the first 2 periods were a joke. I would have liked to see the place full. Atmosphere was ok. I still feel like if the barn was packed and the fans were loud the Sting would play more intense. (not Ruzika) The section I was in had rows upon rows of empty seats. I am usually in the corners so I'm use to open seats around me. I use to play at a decent level of hockey and Lacrosse and I absolutely played more intense with a packed barn.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I will agree but I also think that OS lacks a goaltender who can bail them out in situations like that and come up big. We all know how many times Fazio has done that for us when our D has played poor. You need your goalie to steal games for you sometimes, OS can't seem to get that from their two guys this season.

Lets put it this way, if McNiven was in net yesterday, the Attack wouldn't have needed more than 3 goals to win .

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Statement game coming up tomorrow. Can hardly wait for the excuses if we lose, having lost to the Rangers then the Hounds in the last week! Oh yeah we beat Flint, big deal.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Statement game coming up tomorrow. Can hardly wait for the excuses if we lose, having lost to the Rangers then the Hounds in the last week! Oh yeah we beat Flint, big deal.
Personally I’m fine if they play Hughes. Same reason as the Soo game.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Absolutely correct. But life’s like that.
We may be singing the same song next year!??

The frustrating thing is, the mgr knew in the summer McNiven wasn't coming back, yet refused to pay the price ( Aiden Dudas) for a top goalie. Di Pietro last year, Helvig, Wells all dangled for the Attack.

He traded for Propp, but flipped him to North Bay. Never found anyone as good as him.
Guzda better be ready to start next year, or Im afraid the goaltending spiral will continue cause I don't see mgr suddenly upping his price.

Last edited:

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Lets put it this way, if McNiven was in net yesterday, the Attack wouldn't have needed more than 3 goals to win .

Really,come on Millpond,image all teams if there stars were back BUT they are not.Very unfair to hang your goalie on Sundays lost.Your team was tired in the 3rd because your coach shortened his bench and they ran out of steam where Sarnia went with 4 lines minus Rudzicka.Ang went around ur D like they were a Pilon.Your captain is a great player but was gassed in the 3rd.Sarnia also woke up and thought the game started at 3;30 not 2.I do agree u have some frustrations with your goalie situation but if coach running short bench in other games, shame on him

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Really,come on Millpond,image all teams if there stars were back BUT they are not.Very unfair to hang your goalie on Sundays lost.Your team was tired in the 3rd because your coach shortened his bench and they ran out of steam where Sarnia went with 4 lines minus Rudzicka.Ang went around ur D like they were a Pilon.Your captain is a great player but was gassed in the 3rd.Sarnia also woke up and thought the game started at 3;30 not 2.I do agree u have some frustrations with your goalie situation but if coach running short bench in other games, shame on him
Short bench strategy by their coach came within 1 minute of being a successful one. Ernst misses the net and there would be a whole lot of Owen Sound smiles over the past 48 hours. She’s a game of inches...

Reactions: Noofgoof and OSMike

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Tonight’s line up:

Ang-Sproviero-Kyrou
Pezzetta-Rymsha-Josling
Leufvenius-Ruzicka-Salinitri
Ernst-Rees-Guy

Hatcher-Calvas
Dineen-Eliot
Schlichting-Grima

Fazio

Thank you lord for keeping lazy Ruzicka off that top line!! Really looking forward to seeing 3 of the fastest skaters in Spro, Ang and Kyrou on the same line. Only change I’d make is swap Josling and Sali.

I’m betting the sting come out on top tonight by a couple

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Tonight’s line up:

Ang-Sproviero-Kyrou
Pezzetta-Rymsha-Josling
Leufvenius-Ruzicka-Salinitri
Ernst-Rees-Guy

Hatcher-Calvas
Dineen-Eliot
Schlichting-Grima

Fazio

Thank you lord for keeping lazy Ruzicka off that top line!! Really looking forward to seeing 3 of the fastest skaters in Spro, Ang and Kyrou on the same line. Only change I’d make is swap Josling and Sali.

I’m betting the sting come out on top tonight by a couple
Kitchener starting their backup goalie Culina

Old hound

Feb 27, 2018
Kitchener starting their backup goalie Culina
Let’s look at some numbers, last ten games. Beat Fint 2, beat Saginaw 2 and beat Owen Sound. Lost to Kitchener 2, lost to the Soo 2, and lost to Erie. We can beat the weak teams. Hope we get out of the first round!

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Well I’ll eat my words. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Sarnia’s top players continue to be invisible against other top teams. Ruzicka should just be scratched, another goal scored by his man while he watched. Poor Fazio...47 shots and no help.

Looks like KIT just got inside the heads of the Sting. No composure and undisciplined penalties. Tons of bad blood between these two teams.

The inconsistency of this team is beyond frustrating.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
With all due respect to Sproviero.... if he is first line centre going forward were screwed. Toss Rymsha in that position. I could be totally wrong but didn't Rymsha centre with Kyrou early in the season?

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Just got beat on all aspects of the game. Their big power guys dominate our big soft guys. Goal #4 was just infuriating.
Absolutely no excuses. Have to play better, or see-ya next year

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Hard to generate offence when you are killing penalties. Sucks the life out of the game and doesn't allow for players to build rhythm shift after shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad