Sarnia Sting 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Anyone know the status of the Number one pick from a couple of drafts back (Weiss) who didn't report ? Will the Sting get a makeup pick for that in 2018 ?
Believe you have to trade him and have him play on another roster before you get the extra pick

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
have to declare the player defected and trade or just give up his rights in September, I believe.

So the Sting would have had to given up his rights this past September (or declared him defected ? whatever that means ) to get an extra pick next April of 2018 ? Anyone know if they have given up his rights ? Would be a good draft to have that extra number one pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So the Sting would have had to given up his rights this past September (or declared him defected ? whatever that means ) to get an extra pick next April of 2018 ? Anyone know if they have given up his rights ? Would be a good draft to have that extra number one pick.

Weiss was a 2016 1st, right? So, if he was declared defected September 2016 the sting would have got that compensatory 1st in the 2017 draft.
The sting probably still retain his rights. Miss is in a similar spot with drafting Hughes last spring.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Weiss was a 2016 1st, right? So, if he was declared defected September 2016 the sting would have got that compensatory 1st in the 2017 draft.
The sting probably still retain his rights.

Dirty, you are correct. Which leads me to believe that the Sting do believe that he will report at some point. Hopefully for next season after he is drafted into the NHL along with Samuelsson and Hughes. (yes, I may be dreaming)

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Dirty, you are correct. Which leads me to believe that the Sting do believe that he will report at some point. Hopefully for next season after he is drafted into the NHL along with Samuelsson and Hughes. (yes, I may be dreaming)

Samuelsson has decommitted from Michigan this past week apparently. Currently playing with the USA national development team. Rumours he may go to Sweden.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I’m at a lost for what I think the Sting should do. They have been playing .500 hockey or below that for a pretty good stretch of games now and everything we have seen during that win streak has disappeared dramatically. Guys like Calvas and Schlicting have come back down to earth...Calvas to me has really struggled lately. We have gotten back to getting hemmed into our own end for long periods of time. Our PP without Kyrou has been disastrous and our shots on goal have been from the most ridiculous spots on the ice with no body traffic in front of the net. Even Fazio has started to look a bit off. Team isn’t skating, they are dumping but not chasing, losing puck battles constantly. Not sure what the answer is but it’s been pretty awful Hockey to watch.

I think Sarnia will need even more then what we previously thought. Hearing raddysh to SSM is all but done and with Day gone to Kingston and the price they paid and with Sarnia not having a great selection of picks and not wanting to move Rees then I think we will have a hard time even making it out of the 1st round again.

Best case scenario is Samuelsson shows up like now, we can pick up Dineen and we can land Logan Brown or a similar top 3 guy. OR start moving guys to recover all the picks we currently don’t have for the next few years because our current team can not compete with SSM and once Kitchener makes a few moves and OS gets their goalie they trump us too.

Worst case scenario....do nothing.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
@Ferda11 I'm in the same boat. No matter what Nick does, some will love the decision and some will hate it.

This team has stopped playing aggressive like they did in the beginning of the season. I believe that if the coaching staff can get them to play aggressive again, and skate of course, this team can compete with most of the teams in the west with not making any trades. But how far can they get in the playoffs? 2nd rd at best, maybe 3rd? More and more I'm thinking, lets sell. Squeak into the playoffs and maybe get lucky. Think of the return on Kyrou?

Either way, I hope Nick does something, but in the end, if the buying prices are too high, doing nothing is probably what we will see.

Reactions: Schlerk and massey

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
My girlfriend came to the New Year's Eve game. It was her first game she has seen this season. Mid way through the 2nd period she sends me a text. "Are we not strong Skaters?" IMO, this is one of the strengths of this team and it shows exactly why they have sucked over the last 10 - 15 games. They haven't been skating.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
@Ferda11 I'm in the same boat. No matter what Nick does, some will love the decision and some will hate it.

This team has stopped playing aggressive like they did in the beginning of the season. I believe that if the coaching staff can get them to play aggressive again, and skate of course, this team can compete with most of the teams in the west with not making any trades. But how far can they get in the playoffs? 2nd rd at best, maybe 3rd? More and more I'm thinking, lets sell. Squeak into the playoffs and maybe get lucky. Think of the return on Kyrou?

Either way, I hope Nick does something, but in the end, if the buying prices are too high, doing nothing is probably what we will see.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
My girlfriend came to the New Year's Eve game. It was her first game she has seen this season. Mid way through the 2nd period she sends me a text. "Are we not strong Skaters?" IMO, this is one of the strengths of this team and it shows exactly why they have sucked over the last 10 - 15 games. They haven't been skating.
Haven’t been skating OR scoring. Except for Raaymakers sieve job in London mid-December, there’s been pretty much a goal per game pace. Don’t win many of those ones

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Frankly, this hasn’t been the same team since the 6-0 collapse in Saginaw. Was like falling off a cliff.

Reactions: Stingland

massey

Sep 5, 2012
The full database is available here. It contains my best guess at to which team holds each pick in the next ten years of OHL drafts*, based on Peter's list, the OHL website, sfan's essential "Trades" topics on this forum, and a bit of my own Google sleuthing.

Good read on what draft picks each team has.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Sarnia had a great start but I think this is the team that's more accurate to what everyone expected.

Fazio's workload is clearly catching up to him and the age of the D-core is showing. Unrealistic to think the team could ride a goalie and young D group the hole season.

Konecny trade hurts. Trades need to be made but lack the assets.

Will need to sell off their big guns (Kyrou/Fazio/etc) or swallow a tough pill and trade Rees (who is a valuable asset).

Could stay and not make any moves but that's been this organization's gameplay for a long time when they get close to competing and fans dont want to see it again.

Reactions: Ferda11

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Sarnia had a great start but I think this is the team that's more accurate to what everyone expected.

Fazio's workload is clearly catching up to him and the age of the D-core is showing. Unrealistic to think the team could ride a goalie and young D group the hole season.

Konecny trade hurts. Trades need to be made but lack the assets.

Will need to sell off their big guns (Kyrou/Fazio/etc) or swallow a tough pill and trade Rees (who is a valuable asset).

Could stay and not make any moves but that's been this organization's gameplay for a long time when they get close to competing and fans dont want to see it again.
Don’t feel it’s totally the age of the D. Guys that stunk tonight were #1-Grima, #2-Hatcher. Both acted like it was the first time they held a hockey stick. Couldn’t get any wood ( or fibreglass or whatever it is these days) on the puck all night.
Still nobody can put the puck in the net. 2 goals is a big night these days. Can’t win like that

Reactions: Stingland

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Everyone is getting better and the prices are ridiculous. After tonight I say sell. Be smart like London and realize there’s no chance to compete deep into the playoffs and start trading the big guns. Kyrou would get a kings ransom alone. OS would love to have Fazio. Ernst as an OA would be a big get for any team. Salinitri can go too.

Sell the farm and let’s be great for the next 3-4 years ahead. Only way Sarnia can compete this year deep into the playoffs will mean Rees gets traded and any and all 2nd round picks for the next 5-8 years gone

Reactions: Texcanuck

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Everyone is getting better and the prices are ridiculous. After tonight I say sell. Be smart like London and realize there’s no chance to compete deep into the playoffs and start trading the big guns. Kyrou would get a kings ransom alone. OS would love to have Fazio. Ernst as an OA would be a big get for any team. Salinitri can go too.

Sell the farm and let’s be great for the next 3-4 years ahead. Only way Sarnia can compete this year deep into the playoffs will mean Rees gets traded and any and all 2nd round picks for the next 5-8 years gone
Still wouldn’t top the Soo if we made a run this year, so I agree with sell strategy. However I think another first round playoff exit would cause 10-15% of the fed-up season ticket holders to bail on the team, and not sure the franchise could survive that. Gotta get to round 2 THIS YEAR.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Prices are too high to buy. It's going to be the SOO out of the West and with the Monstars now assembled in Kingston with them acquiring Pu, Vilardi, Day it's game over for the rest of the East. (London won the Pu trade IMO)

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Still wouldn’t top the Soo if we made a run this year, so I agree with sell strategy. However I think another first round playoff exit would cause 10-15% of the fed-up season ticket holders to bail on the team, and not sure the franchise could survive that. Gotta get to round 2 THIS YEAR.

That is only 150 to 200 STH's. If they can't survive that they wouldn't have installed a new scoreboard. Everything will come down to what Nick's plan is and the ownership's plan. As of right now, who knows exactly what that is. Should be finding out over the next week.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Sarnia never gets this close. They can't keep saying "next year, next year, okay next year". Team needs to go for it at some point and with Fazio, Kyrou and Ruzicka it is a good time to take a stab.

Reactions: LDN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad