Recalled/Assigned: Sandin loaned to Sweden and Wins Best Defenseman Award

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Best D is Sandin IMO. Is better and will be a better pro.

Top pairing vs middle pairing in Lily. Time will tell.

Currently, Liljegren is the better D for the Marlies. Hopefully he gets to play for new coach Greg Moore now that Barrie is healthy, I feel he needs another 6-8 weeks in the AHL to be fully cooked and completely NHL ready for good.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
stralman is an extremely solid stable defence man who's game doesn't severely deteriorate under pressure. Now I'm not saying he's as big of a choker or has the exact same issues in the exact same magnitude. From having watched Liljegren before this season he does seem to occasionally have those Gardiner type moments. yes I understand all defence man make mistakes.

I also don't understand this narrative in this thread. The best you can go off of is NHL performance. And so far Sandin has showed he can play here while being a year younger and Liljegren hasn't displayed that as of yet. Don't be surprised if Sandin ends up the better defenceman.
I don't know why you keep pointing to last season. Lilly has been tremendous this season and outplayed Sandin by a decent margin. If anything Lilly deserved the callup over Sandin, and Leafs seem to agree.
Also the Marlies best defenceman is Lilly.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Best D is Sandin IMO. Is better and will be a better pro.

Top pairing vs middle pairing in Lily. Time will tell.
No he isn't. Something tells me your going off by point totals and Sandin in the NHL. Lilly has been the better defenceman on the Marlies this season, and is way ahead defensively.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Two weeks these players will never forget. I think the long term pros of playing in this tournament far outweigh the cons. Wish more nhl teams would take longer term views when deciding whether to send their guys or not. Unless they truly are a vital piece of the team (which the vast majority are not at that age).

Agree 100% with all this, really glad Sandin is going.

On another topic, what's with the Sandin vs Liljegren debate. Why must we always pit our guys against each other? They're both very good prospects so why can't we just be happy?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

On another topic, what's with the Sandin vs Liljegren debate. Why must we always pit our guys against each other? They're both very good prospects so why can't we just be happy?
Exactly.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Nice surprice for Team Sweden, I didn’t expect him on the roster. Will be fun to watch for sure

Last edited by a moderator:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
source.gif

Reactions: Smif

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Really great tournament for him. He honestly was likely in the player of the tournament discussion as well. Hayton and Laf were better, but Sandin was right there in the next group.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think most are happy to have both, what they are getting at is they would like to see the better DEFENSEman first. Let Sandin finish rounding out his D side and bring him in when he's there.

Reactions: Kiwi

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I only watched a couple of his games this tournament and thought he looked great. How would you asses his performance?

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix

So much of this... they're not even in competition with each other for a spot. One is LHD and one is RHD. If anything they compliment each other...

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Hes really smooth on the PP, i think we all knew that but his shooting was very impressive in this tourny. He could be our top PP d man over Rielly because of how smart and smooth he is along with a good one timer.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad