Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But I thought we were promised a chance at Rantanen.

Think that's probably dead.
I think he sort of might top out as a middle 6 winger with size, both PK/PP, 20-25 goal kind of guy... with maybe a 27/28 year old campaign that he finally hits some bigger numbers kind of thing.

Now, development is never linear; I think the best bet is to get him in Calgary with the Wranglers and figure out what he needs to do next. Considering Zary, Posp, Pelletier among others, I think the development staff can sort of figure it out.

Reactions: Fig

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
As a Langley native that attends 80%+ of Giants games, I've actually liked Honzek. Take that with a grain of salt as I'm also Slovak and I'm rooting for him, but he's had good flashes. While I think his season so far is probably not where many have hoped, he has played well, and it's probably too early for y'all to panic on him as he's likely still recovering from his training camp injury.

He primarily plays with Halaburda and Lipinski, who are solid players; Lipinski is impressively tough to get off the puck and Halaburda has an A+ work ethic, but neither of whom have particularly great finesse or hands. I see Honzek make great passes and plays to them semi-frequently that usually aren't capitalized on. Considering his profile is that of a big play with a dangerous shot, I think he'd benefit from playing with players who complement his skillset a bit more as neither Halaburda nor Lipinski, at least in my opinion, have strong enough hockey sense to capitalize on some of Honzek's passes and setups.

That said, when Honzek is on, he's very sharp. He has flashes and periods where he is tenacious on the puck, making sharp passes and getting open to try and wire his signature shot. His first period from his last home game against Portland was a good example where he didn't score but was all over the puck and opposing team. But he also has lots of moments where he gets frustrated and coughs up the puck, and from an amateur fan's POV, that seems to be his main weakness atm, his tendency to lose focus and get frustrated. Lots of moments where I see him chase a play and beaver tap aggressively for the puck only to not get it. I don't know if it's because he's trying to do too much all by himself, if he's frustrated with his teammates or something entirely else, but I think he'd benefit from simplifying his game and focusing on what he does well because when he's focused and bears down, he can be imposing and can take over shifts.

That being said, what I would say is maybe a bit disappointing is that day in and night out I feel like the player I notice the most on the Giants is actually usually Cameron Schmidt, a 17 year old eligible for the 2025 draft, who has top notch pace and great skill in tight. Getting outshined by a 5'8" player a full two drafts younger than you in your D+1 isn't always a great look.

Even as a Canucks fan I am rooting for Honzek, he has a great shot, good size that he knows how to use when he puts his mind to it, and lots of skill, but he loses focus and seems to grip his stick a bit too tight at times. I think it's too early to panic, with the right coaching I think he can be re-focused on the things he does well. Next season will be telling for him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
For such a deep draft, he is a disappointment so far

Maybe it's injuries but unless he picks up soon, it's a disappointment

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
For such a deep draft, he is a disappointment so far

Maybe it's injuries but unless he picks up soon, it's a disappointment

I believe injuries had him fall in the same way as Pelletier.

I do think he was more of a project and a longer term prospect due to his injury circumstances and him still being very raw. I think the hope is that patience will nab us an excellent piece in comparison to a few others selected just after him.

But deep draft? What am I missing? Honzek hasn't done as much due to injuries (I hope this isn't a long term issue) but others drafted after him haven't played games yet. Am I missing something?

I'd love to look into it if I am. I've been a bit ill for the last few months and I haven't really followed up on much lately.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I believe injuries had him fall in the same way as Pelletier.

I do think he was more of a project and a longer term prospect due to his injury circumstances and him still being very raw. I think the hope is that patience will nab us an excellent piece in comparison to a few others selected just after him.

But deep draft? What am I missing? Honzek hasn't done as much due to injuries (I hope this isn't a long term issue) but others drafted after him haven't played games yet. Am I missing something?

I'd love to look into it if I am. I've been a bit ill for the last few months and I haven't really followed up on much lately.
If you look at guys drafted after him, many have done much better post draft in Junior, colleges or in Europe. Some also performed better at the WJC

Honzek stats is worse than last year. That’s not a good sign

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly from the 10 plus games I’ve watched of him this year the Jankowski comparisons are fair. I was never high on Jankowski (had him ranked 6th or 8th the year we ranked him as our top prospect on here). Honzek has a big shot but otherwise he just doesn’t seem to make quick plays in tight spaces. Which is usually the thing I look for if a guy will translate to the NHL. he has straight line speed but lacks intensity. He turns it over far too much for my liking.

I’d like him to prove me wrong but right now he looks like a bust. Cameron Schmidt is vastly outplaying him and he’s 5’8 and draft eligible next year. Wouldn’t be surprised if Jaden Lipinski ends up the better player either.

The bright side is that Morin, Brewski and Suniev look like excellent additions. I also like Lipinksi

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No reason to think the injuries will continue. Offseason injury was abdominal, WJC injury was caused by a skate and the 3rd was a fractured sinus cavity.

Reactions: josra33 and Fig

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Yeah, I was in love with ASP so I was pretty disappointed with that pick. Looked like the wrong decision at the time, and even worse now. There are some pretty legit reasons for the struggle, so that’s maybe unfair to say at this point.

I hope he pans out. If the idea is to retool and be competitive in a few years, can’t really afford to miss in the 1st round.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Big guy but lack intensity. Jankowski, Ruzicka, Colbourn. The Flames never learn. These guys are not skilled enough to play the finese game. Basically, their size is useless.

Honzek has a bit of time but unless something improves, he is not looking good.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
I took a cursory look at 2023 mock drafts, a lot of them had Calgary taking Honzek at 16.

Hard to fault the organization compared to the Jankowski pick. Hopefully Honzek takes a big step next year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I took a cursory look at 2023 mock drafts, a lot of them had Calgary taking Honzek at 16.

Hard to fault the organization compared to the Jankowski pick. Hopefully Honzek takes a big step next year.
He wasn't a massive reach, but you could argue there were players ranked higher at the time.

So far it looks as though the Flames missed on this one. Again, there is plenty of time, but you cant hand wave a player not being even the top PPG producer on their junior team in their D+1 (would've been their D+2 if he was 2 months older).

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Honestly from the 10 plus games I’ve watched of him this year the Jankowski comparisons are fair. I was never high on Jankowski (had him ranked 6th or 8th the year we ranked him as our top prospect on here). Honzek has a big shot but otherwise he just doesn’t seem to make quick plays in tight spaces. Which is usually the thing I look for if a guy will translate to the NHL. he has straight line speed but lacks intensity. He turns it over far too much for my liking.

I’d like him to prove me wrong but right now he looks like a bust. Cameron Schmidt is vastly outplaying him and he’s 5’8 and draft eligible next year. Wouldn’t be surprised if Jaden Lipinski ends up the better player either.

The bright side is that Morin, Brewski and Suniev look like excellent additions. I also like Lipinksi
Lipinski & Suniev might be our 2 best prospects from the past 2 drafts. A 3rd & 4th rnder

Misko

Sep 30, 2020

There's no real world where Lipinski is a better prospect than Honzek. Lipinski is a solid forechecker with genuinely impressive puck-protection, at least for the WHL, but his skating is a problem and he lacks top-end skill or offensive awareness. His NHL ceiling is a 4th line forechecker at best. Honzek's ceiling is a Top-6 winger, even if his injured D+1 leaves a bit to be desired.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Has 2 goals through 4 WHL playoffs games so far. One of them was an empty netter however. Is still consistently playing on the 2nd line. His team could get eliminated next game.

This is his other goal, which was short handed.

Not enough from a first rounder-sadly. Is he eligible/in Ramsey's consideration to play for Slovakia in WC in Czech Republic?

Has to train with Slafkovsky in the off season and hopefully he stays healthy next season.

He has to deliver next year.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
When I was watching I had the trio of ASP, Moore and Barlow as the group Flames would be picking from. Right now ASP and Moore are looking pretty good. But lots of runway on this yet.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Now that Vancouver is eliminated, does he go to the Wranglers or just see what happens with the Flames?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He isn't close to being ready for the Flames. If he doesn't have any injuries then he'll go to the Wranglers.
They had signed some random College guy a couple days ago, and he got into the last game, so maybe we see Honzek & Lipinski get their 1st pro game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad