Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was gonna say, I’m getting Mark Jankowski vibes

Hopefully he develops better.

Mark Jankowski was extremely weird though. He learned to do defensive game, he had a great offensive game, he had all those tools and could do those things in isolation at the NHL level, but somehow could not put it together for his overall game.

Dude would score more shorthanded goals than 5V5 and was an absolute weapon on the PK. But he was worse at 5V5 than PK. That's weird AF. It's almost like knowing the answers to score 0 on a multiple choice test.

I don't think Honzek gives off those vibes at all. Honzek seems loose and jovial in his experimentation of new skills to figure out his game. Jankowski was seemingly forceful of his approach and would learn skills to the detriment of other skills or something. I feel bad for how Janko's career turned out, but I'm confused AF at what happened in the first place.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Mark Jankowski was extremely weird though. He learned to do defensive game, he had a great offensive game, he had all those tools and could do those things in isolation at the NHL level, but somehow could not put it together for his overall game.

Dude would score more shorthanded goals than 5V5 and was an absolute weapon on the PK. But he was worse at 5V5 than PK. That's weird AF. It's almost like knowing the answers to score 0 on a multiple choice test.

I don't think Honzek gives off those vibes at all. Honzek seems loose and jovial in his experimentation of new skills to figure out his game. Jankowski was seemingly forceful of his approach and would learn skills to the detriment of other skills or something. I feel bad for how Janko's career turned out, but I'm confused AF at what happened in the first place.

He was drafted to be an offensive center then got to the NHL and was deployed and developed as a bottom 6er. Same thing happened to Backlund and he carved out a career as a great 3rd liner and PKer. Jankowski wasn't able to.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He was drafted to be an offensive center then got to the NHL and was deployed and developed as a bottom 6er. Same thing happened to Backlund and he carved out a career as a great 3rd liner and PKer. Jankowski wasn't able to.
Jankowski seemed to be pretty good in season 1 IIRC, but dropped after season 2+ iirc.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Jankowski seemed to be pretty good in season 1 IIRC, but dropped after season 2+ iirc.

Slight increase in points but goal total went down from season 1 to 2 but then it was 7 points in 56 games and Pittsburgh the season after. Jankowski was a strange player, there was flashes of a better player but he never put it together. Even his 4 goal game was strange.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With the numbers that Jankowski is capable of putting up in the AHL, it's bizarre how he hasn't managed to stick in at least a 4th line PKing role with his 6'4" frame.

The holes in his game began to show in season 2 and then the wheels completely came off in the Canadian division season when it took him like 50 games to register his first point.

This goal will live on forever in my mind

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
With the numbers that Jankowski is capable of putting up in the AHL, it's bizarre how he hasn't managed to stick in at least a 4th line PKing role with his 6'4" frame.

The holes in his game began to show in season 2 and then the wheels completely came off in the Canadian division season when it took him like 50 games to register his first point.

This goal will live on forever in my mind

Yeah, with what he's showed, he should at least carve out a great bottom 6 career as a Greer, Derek Grant or Derek Ryan type Swiss army knife with PK capabilities that teams would love to have. Heck, even what Hathaway has as a career I'd assume Jankowski can at least match and exceed minus the sandpaper and fighting.

I just don't get what went wrong with Jankowski, but it certainly is between the ears IMO. You'd think they'd have quickly gotten him a sports psychologist to help him sort it out... maybe one day we'll find out it indeed was something like OCD or some mental health thing that kept him from maintaining consistent performance, but on paper with direct NHL examples, he should succeed, not languish. I really do still hope he can figure it out.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't know how anyone can compare Honzek to Jankowski. Jankowski was drafted out of a high school league and didn't hit a ppg in the NCAA until his senior year.

Jankowski never had the same pedigree that Honzek has. Jankowski wouldn't have even been a 1st rounder if Calgary wasn't run by morons.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It always seemed to me that he was always about a half second behind. Just needed to do things a beat quicker and he'd probably have carved himself out a nice career. Or goon it up, that would also have been acceptable.
Janko's biggest problem was dragging around that bum Bennett.

Seriously though, Jankowski's offensive development was stunted by the team never giving him offensive opportunities, they used him in a defensive/PK role almost exclusively, then for some reason Peters hated him and stopped playing him. Even when Janko was outproducing Bennett despite Bnnett getting PP and top 6 time, Janko never receive those opportunities. It's hard to develop offensively when you just don't get the opportunities.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Big Jank 2.0, at least he’s a shooter

I was gonna say, I’m getting Mark Jankowski vibes

Hopefully he develops better.

He has nothing in common with Jankowski, because with Jankowski the hope was his offense would come as he got bigger and filled out. Honzek already has a high tier offensive game relative to his peers.

Jankowski had 18 points in 34 games as a freshman in college. 27 in 37 in year 3. Those are terrible offensive numbers. Coronato had the same amount of goals as Jankowski did points in his freshman season for comparison. His draft+5 year he had 56 points in 65 games as his “breakout year” in the AHL. That point per game at that stage of development is similar MEP and Alan Quine, and worse than names like Gawdin and Czarnik.

His problem was Flames hoped when he figured out his body and possibly became a physical beast the offense would come which obviously never happened. Honzek already has the offensive talents of a high 1st round pick, with hopes when he figures out his body and possibly turns out to be a beast it becomes transcendent.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
He has nothing in common with Jankowski, because with Jankowski the hope was his offense would come as he got bigger and filled out. Honzek already has a high tier offensive game relative to his peers.

Jankowski had 18 points in 34 games as a freshman in college. 27 in 37 in year 3. Those are terrible offensive numbers. Coronato had the same amount of goals as Jankowski did points in his freshman season for comparison. His draft+5 year he had 56 points in 65 games as his “breakout year” in the AHL. That point per game at that stage of development is similar MEP and Alan Quine, and worse than names like Gawdin and Czarnik.

His problem was Flames hoped when he figured out his body and possibly became a physical beast the offense would come which obviously never happened. Honzek already has the offensive talents of a high 1st round pick, with hopes when he figures out his body and possibly turns out to be a beast it becomes transcendent.

Honestly the only reason i got Janko vibes is the big lanky “he needs to fill out thing.” I understand Honzek is on a different level than Janko, who was a reach and drafted as a project.

Good to hear that other fans have a positive outlook on him. Hopefully he picks it up the rest of his season in the WHL and gets a shot on the Wranglers next year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Janko's biggest problem was dragging around that bum Bennett.

Seriously though, Jankowski's offensive development was stunted by the team never giving him offensive opportunities, they used him in a defensive/PK role almost exclusively, then for some reason Peters hated him and stopped playing him. Even when Janko was outproducing Bennett despite Bnnett getting PP and top 6 time, Janko never receive those opportunities. It's hard to develop offensively when you just don't get the opportunities.
This isn't happen after 2015-16 lol. His ice time consistently fell from 2016 to 2020, and he was regularly f***ed around in terms of specialty teams as well.

Jankowski's problem was he just wasn't very good. Other posters brought it up, but his production in lower-level leagues was never anything to write home about besides his last season in the AHL. The fact he had a few decent seasons at the NHL level was about as good an outcome as we could expect.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Scouting report wise, I seem to recall reading Jankowski had some really interesting offensive skills when he was in high school. But Weisbrod thought he'd be the next Nieuwendyk when drafting him, so I'm not sure. Nieuwendyk was known for his defensive acumen and face offs, so if Jankowski had crazy offense, the only reason why Weisbrod thought he could be Nieuwendyk was because back then, there must have been an idea of forcing players to play in a certain way vs nurturing their base talent and hoping that base talent remained once we forced them in a certain mold. This meant maybe Weisbrod probably saw someone he could force into a Nieuwendyk mold vs thinking Janko played like Nieuwendyk? That's why Janko went to Providence which was known for heavy defensive systems at the time.

We know this was done to Backlund. We know many other Flames previously did this (forced defensive games) to varied results (ie: Baertschi). I hope we got rid of that idea now. It seems like a slow and low percentage way to develop prospects.

This might be why it always seemed like we had Janko A and Janko B vs a complete Jankowski. Also why it seemed like he just got worse and time went on. It's not truly like he was always carried. He was capable as a one man army based on what we saw on the PK and his knack for SH goals. So IMO this is a bad development idea. But I also get that having defensive game means you're more likely to stay at the NHL if you succeed in adding that, but if you fail, you might not make it at all based purely as a one dimensional player. As an org, graduating as many NHL calibre players is more valuable than a specific type of player IMO because that means you retain trade value and have less sell low redemption projects if value is not zero.

Honestly the only reason i got Janko vibes is the big lanky “he needs to fill out thing.” I understand Honzek is on a different level than Janko, who was a reach and drafted as a project.

Good to hear that other fans have a positive outlook on him. Hopefully he picks it up the rest of his season in the WHL and gets a shot on the Wranglers next year.

I think Janko was a reach AND a project. But he was also perhaps mishandled in hindsight. But I think Honzek is a project but not a reach at where we drafted him. He's just a risk because he's a project. So at least that's good news.

This isn't happen after 2015-16 lol. His ice time consistently fell from 2016 to 2020, and he was regularly f***ed around in terms of specialty teams as well.

Jankowski's problem was he just wasn't very good. Other posters brought it up, but his production in lower-level leagues was never anything to write home about besides his last season in the AHL. The fact he had a few decent seasons at the NHL level was about as good an outcome as we could expect.

Like we've been saying. He showed enough to show he should have at least been closer to Hathaway and Mangiapane quality longer term as an NHL calibre player (not lower leagues projection), but why he just kept getting worse is bizarre. Misuse is part of that theory and I think in hindsight, development concepts were flawed.

I think he got mentally broken like Rittich. The reason why I bring this up is because if the old system made us lose talent like that, modify it so we don't waste more talent. Logjams are a good problem to have. I'm optimistic about this, especially with the buddy system concept we started seeing this past draft. I think it increases the chances of us graduating prospects to the NHL level and increasing our trade capital when we have lots of potential graduates.

This thread is about Honzek, but with the new idea, it reduces the time management has to use to monitor Honzek and Lipinski, but also increases the chances we can graduate a Lipinski because management has time to monitor and give good feedback and also allow Honzek and Lipinski to compare notes.

I think the first time this happened was Andersson and Mangiapane and that was a fluke accident. But it was something interesting enough to try and replicate again.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Scouting report wise, I seem to recall reading Jankowski had some really interesting offensive skills when he was in high school. But Weisbrod thought he'd be the next Nieuwendyk when drafting him, so I'm not sure. Nieuwendyk was known for his defensive acumen and face offs, so if Jankowski had crazy offense, the only reason why Weisbrod thought he could be Nieuwendyk was because back then, there must have been an idea of forcing players to play in a certain way vs nurturing their base talent and hoping that base talent remained once we forced them in a certain mold. This meant maybe Weisbrod probably saw someone he could force into a Nieuwendyk mold vs thinking Janko played like Nieuwendyk? That's why Janko went to Providence which was known for heavy defensive systems at the time.

We know this was done to Backlund. We know many other Flames previously did this (forced defensive games) to varied results (ie: Baertschi). I hope we got rid of that idea now. It seems like a slow and low percentage way to develop prospects.

This might be why it always seemed like we had Janko A and Janko B vs a complete Jankowski. Also why it seemed like he just got worse and time went on. It's not truly like he was always carried. He was capable as a one man army based on what we saw on the PK and his knack for SH goals. So IMO this is a bad development idea. But I also get that having defensive game means you're more likely to stay at the NHL if you succeed in adding that, but if you fail, you might not make it at all based purely as a one dimensional player. As an org, graduating as many NHL calibre players is more valuable than a specific type of player IMO because that means you retain trade value and have less sell low redemption projects if value is not zero.

I think Janko was a reach AND a project. But he was also perhaps mishandled in hindsight. But I think Honzek is a project but not a reach at where we drafted him. He's just a risk because he's a project. So at least that's good news.

Like we've been saying. He showed enough to show he should have at least been closer to Hathaway and Mangiapane quality longer term as an NHL calibre player (not lower leagues projection), but why he just kept getting worse is bizarre. Misuse is part of that theory and I think in hindsight, development concepts were flawed.

I think he got mentally broken like Rittich. The reason why I bring this up is because if the old system made us lose talent like that, modify it so we don't waste more talent. Logjams are a good problem to have. I'm optimistic about this, especially with the buddy system concept we started seeing this past draft. I think it increases the chances of us graduating prospects to the NHL level and increasing our trade capital when we have lots of potential graduates.

This thread is about Honzek, but with the new idea, it reduces the time management has to use to monitor Honzek and Lipinski, but also increases the chances we can graduate a Lipinski because management has time to monitor and give good feedback and also allow Honzek and Lipinski to compare notes.

I think the first time this happened was Andersson and Mangiapane and that was a fluke accident. But it was something interesting enough to try and replicate again.
Guy had 70 points in 63 games playing high school hockey the year we drafted him. That’s barely mid 1st rounder numbers in the CHL let alone high school. The offense was never there to begin with. He also committed to providence well before being drafted.

Instead of getting into theories about why it could’ve been the organizations fault, think Occam’s razor applies here. One scout absolutely fell in love with him despite all the others thinking he would go a round or two later, heard he had grown a whopping 7-8 inches in the last year (honestly mind boggling), and dug his heels in about said prospect. His massive gamble didn’t pay off, and now in his late 20s Jankowski is a AAAA player like the average offensive player in the AHL over 24.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Guy had 70 points in 63 games playing high school hockey the year we drafted him. That’s barely mid 1st rounder numbers in the CHL let alone high school. The offense was never there to begin with. He also committed to providence well before being drafted.

Instead of getting into theories about why it could’ve been the organizations fault, think Occam’s razor applies here. One scout absolutely fell in love with him despite all the others thinking he would go a round or two later, heard he had grown a whopping 7-8 inches in the last year (honestly mind boggling), and dug his heels in about said prospect. His massive gamble didn’t pay off, and now in his late 20s Jankowski is a AAAA player like the average offensive player in the AHL over 24.

I'm just saying I seem to recall reading something like that a while ago. I'm not digging in on anything and creating crazy ideas I'm not willing to let go of.

Occam's razor applies, sure. I'm just talking out loud wondering if Occam's razor is accurate here.

Occam's razor says you should prefer the simpler explanation and solution for problem solving, but Occam's razor doesn't apply in scenarios where the simplest explanation of a historical event was not the actual explanation of a historical event. Occam's razor applies more towards things that are unknown and unlikely to be known or projections of a possibility.

Reactions: deleted user

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You know what though, that draft was completely full of 'meh'.

Why not swing for the fences and see what happens?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

Janko was projected to potentially be the best player in the draft

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Janko was projected to potentially be the best player in the draft
And not just by management, but by a few posters on this board too. I recally getting into a few heated discussions about it because I didn't think he was that good outside his ridiculous PK abilities.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You know what though, that draft was completely full of 'meh'.

Why not swing for the fences and see what happens?
So true. It was slim pickings that year and the Flames drafted 21st. Even the #1 overall was a complete bust

Screenshot_2024-01-13-01-13-16-988.jpg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They traded down from 14 to 21 for an extra pick that they used to draft Patrick Sieloff.

Hertl, Teravainen, Wilson, Vasilevskiy were all picked after 14. Even Girgensons and Laughton are still useful bottom 6 guys in the league. It looks like a small trade and a one off swing for the fences type pick but any of those players helps the Flames out a lot more than Jankowski did. If your gameplan is to compete for the playoffs no matter like the Flames seem to want to do it is absolutely critical you hit on your mid-late 1st rounders.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
They traded down from 14 to 21 for an extra pick that they used to draft Patrick Sieloff.

Hertl, Teravainen, Wilson, Vasilevskiy were all picked after 14. Even Girgensons and Laughton are still useful bottom 6 guys in the league. It looks like a small trade and a one off swing for the fences type pick but any of those players helps the Flames out a lot more than Jankowski did. If your gameplan is to compete for the playoffs no matter like the Flames seem to want to do it is absolutely critical you hit on your mid-late 1st rounders.
Oh man, imagine BOA's if we had Tom Wilson....:D

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Sieloff got f***ed before he turned pro by almost dying from a staph infection and a skate cut to his leg and losing a ton of valuable developmental time. And as I said before, I think the Flames did botch Janko's development

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Patrick Sieloff.. what a pick.

Played 2 NHL games for 2 different teams, scored in both.

Mismanaged ;)

• Haha
Reactions: deleted user

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Jankowski’s work ethic slipped massively after his rookie year and Peters knew it. He also recognized when Frolik was aging out of the league pretty early on.

Tall, big-framed players who are neither physical nor highly skilled flame out when they don’t bring effort to the table.

See: Joe Colborne

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
So true. It was slim pickings that year and the Flames drafted 21st. Even the #1 overall was a complete bust

View attachment 802038
Slim pickings, yet out of the ~10 picks after 13 there’s one hall of famer and rest solid players… this scouting department is liable to completely shit the bed every few years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad