Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
They traded down from 14 to 21 for an extra pick that they used to draft Patrick Sieloff.

Hertl, Teravainen, Wilson, Vasilevskiy were all picked after 14. Even Girgensons and Laughton are still useful bottom 6 guys in the league. It looks like a small trade and a one off swing for the fences type pick but any of those players helps the Flames out a lot more than Jankowski did. If your gameplan is to compete for the playoffs no matter like the Flames seem to want to do it is absolutely critical you hit on your mid-late 1st rounders.
I mean I imagine Calgary traded down because of how assured they were Jankowski was still available, sounds like they (Weisbrod) was enamored. Although it is fun to imagine the difference it’d make if we added Vasilevskiy that draft, all of a sudden the 2010s aren’t an endless goalie carousel.

Thank god Weisbrod is gone though and Treliving revamped our scouting philosophies. Our team is one of the better drafting teams in the league, we pretty routinely find extra value relative to draft positions, I usually fully trust a pick our team makes regardless of how it’s perceived at the time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean I imagine Calgary traded down because of how assured they were Jankowski was still available, sounds like they (Weisbrod) was enamored. Although it is fun to imagine the difference it’d make if we added Vasilevskiy that draft, all of a sudden the 2010s aren’t an endless goalie carousel.

Thank god Weisbrod is gone though and Treliving revamped our scouting philosophies. Our team is one of the better drafting teams in the league, we pretty routinely find extra value relative to draft positions, I usually fully trust a pick our team makes regardless of how it’s perceived at the time.

Yeah, the philosophies of that era also included entitled players who gave up when things didn't go their way. ie: Erixon and Baertschi. Weisbrod and Feaster dominated the early rounds in that era. Good thing Button was allowed to swing for the fences in the later rounds so we weren't completely empty in the pipeline. Attitude was added by Treliving as part of the philosophy later on.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Speaking of Jankowski, I think Ruzicka wants to emulate him. He is doing a great job.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sort of a sleepy return to form here. Since the WJC Sam's got 4 in 4, but had the 3 point game to start.

I really want to see him in Calgary next year with the Wranglers.

Reactions: deleted user

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Went to the Rockets v Giants tonight.

Iginla scored a natural hatty in the 3rd to win 5-2. Cristall and him were electric. The fact hockey Canada didn’t pick Cristall for the team, and the fact that guys like him and Brinkley went in the second round, shows hockey minds are still overthinking the draft and overvaluing size.

Lipinski is a solid player. Best mid round pick we’ve had in quite some time

Honzek scored an absolute laser on the PP in the 3rd. He played well in the 3rd. But the rest of the game he was absolutely abysmal.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Early days, but his d+1 isn’t inspiring any confidence. Barely over a ppg and suffered injuries again. His shot volume has also taken a step back. There has been some speculation he’s playing hurt, but who knows. Hoping for more next season regardless. Don’t think he’s up for the pros either way unless he takes a massive step this off-season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Early days, but his d+1 isn’t inspiring any confidence. Barely over a ppg and suffered injuries again. His shot volume has also taken a step back. There has been some speculation he’s playing hurt, but who knows. Hoping for more next season regardless. Don’t think he’s up for the pros either way unless he takes a massive step this off-season.
I want him with the Wranglers regardless next season. He may struggle as a rookie, but he'll learn how to be a pro, and he'll be getting more help from our development staff. The situation reminds me a bit of Zary turning pro in his D+2 season.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I was expecting the flames to go with one of Moore, Barlow or Sandin Pelikka. So for me moving forward I will be comparing Honzek and those three. Hopefully it isn’t another case of an armchair draft fan outperforming a NHL scouting staff.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
He seemed to be a guy that was going to take more time and you were hoping he would take a jump so not overly concerned right now, even though he wasn't the guy I wanted at the time. What is concerning is that you always have worry about injuries and there impact on development.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How can he be "the man" in 21 games?

Also, you might want to look at the Giants as a team, he's still tied for 6th in points among forwards and only 1 of 2 PPG players on the team, the other has played less than Honzek

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Maybe it’s nationality, maybe it’s more but he gives me Ruzicka vibes.

Regardless, he was not the guy I wanted to go with and don’t have high hopes for him.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
How can he be "the man" in 21 games?

Also, you might want to look at the Giants as a team, he's still tied for 6th in points among forwards and only 1 of 2 PPG players on the team, the other has played less than Honzek
Even if he’s missed time and the giants are a bad team you’d think he would be leading the team in scoring by a rather comfortable margin on a ppg basis. Lipinski for example was a mid round pick and has produced 46 in 53 by comparison. Halaburda 48 in 54, and he’s younger. Honzek hasn’t been noticeable above the pack.

It’s all about progression for these guys. He’s got lots of time to figure it out, and I think next year will be a big tell, but seeing regression from a player who was an older 2023 pick concerns me.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Honzek missed 25 games because of injury. It is what it is.

That said, we have an established trend of poorly developing taller forwards. The org needs to find a way to get him back on track. I was definitely more excited with our 2nd round pick than Honzek though

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah feel like this was a slight reach for a positional need which is just never what you want to be doing with your first round pick

Will be rooting for the kid though

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah feel like this was a slight reach for a positional need which is just never what you want to be doing with your first round pick

Will be rooting for the kid though
How the f*** is drafting a LW reaching for positional need?

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Wasn't it very explicitly stated that he would be playing C this year? Anyways, time is not of the essence here, it's purely wait and see.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Like super said I was under the impression he was a center for some reason

I think the hope is that he can switch to center because before this season he was exclusively a winger in the WHL but there was talk they would move him to the middle this season. My question would be if he played for Saskatoon/Portland/MH teams trying to win would they do that or are they willing to experiment because Vancouver is not a top team?

Not sure trying to force him into developing as a center is best for him or the team.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Thus far, I think his D+1 has been pretty disappointing. At the Penticton tournament I thought he'd had the least impactful performance of any of the higher end Flames prospects I've seen since I started watching, only flashing once or twice and his WJC wasn't much better. I think you just hope he's on the Slafkovsky development arc and is putting on weight.

I have 2 big concerns with him so far.

1. Finesse skills, small area stick handling and passing needs a lot of work. You have to be able to maneuver and make plays in tight spaces in the NHL and he hasn't really shown that in the games I've seen. I wouldn't say his hands are bad but I've seen him lose the puck a lot when trying to hold onto it in traffic. Better stick handling and agility would go a long way towards making him a more dangerous player IMO. He's good when he has the full range to spread out because then he can use his wingspan and frame to beat them wide or put it past them.

2. His offensive mentality. He's got tools and I think he could be way more impactful on a shift to shift basis if he commits to playing physically and working the puck towards the middle of the ice. He's way too happy to just pass the puck back to the point and cycle on the perimeter, I want to see him use his size and speed to get to the inside before shooting or passing (when appropriate, cycling is good he just needs to learn when to cycle and when to attack).

The good news is almost every NHLer around his size took a while to develop, if he's got a slow development curve he would not be the first one. Additionally, I'd be pretty surprised if he busted completely I think his size and speed combined with his defensive responsibility and forechecking will make him a useful bottom 6 guy at minimum. His shot is also already great, he's good the tools to be a good player.

I think if he hits his ceiling he could be Valeri Nichuskin, if he busts he'll be Jesse Puljujarvi.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thus far, I think his D+1 has been pretty disappointing. At the Penticton tournament I thought he'd had the least impactful performance of any of the higher end Flames prospects I've seen since I started watching, only flashing once or twice and his WJC wasn't much better. I think you just hope he's on the Slafkovsky development arc and is putting on weight.

I have 2 big concerns with him so far.

1. Finesse skills, small area stick handling and passing needs a lot of work. You have to be able to maneuver and make plays in tight spaces in the NHL and he hasn't really shown that in the games I've seen. I wouldn't say his hands are bad but I've seen him lose the puck a lot when trying to hold onto it in traffic. Better stick handling and agility would go a long way towards making him a more dangerous player IMO. He's good when he has the full range to spread out because then he can use his wingspan and frame to beat them wide or put it past them.

2. His offensive mentality. He's got tools and I think he could be way more impactful on a shift to shift basis if he commits to playing physically and working the puck towards the middle of the ice. He's way too happy to just pass the puck back to the point and cycle on the perimeter, I want to see him use his size and speed to get to the inside before shooting or passing (when appropriate, cycling is good he just needs to learn when to cycle and when to attack).

The good news is almost every NHLer around his size took a while to develop, if he's got a slow development curve he would not be the first one. Additionally, I'd be pretty surprised if he busted completely I think his size and speed combined with his defensive responsibility and forechecking will make him a useful bottom 6 guy at minimum. His shot is also already great, he's good the tools to be a good player.

I think if he hits his ceiling he could be Valeri Nichuskin, if he busts he'll be Jesse Puljujarvi.
But I thought we were promised a chance at Rantanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00