Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Let's see how he turns out, wishing for the best. He's probably a good ways until we see him at the NHL level, looked pretty thin on stage.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Seems like a high floor low ceiling pick... not sure I'm the biggest fan ngl. But then again I wasn't a fan of the Pelletier pick and he has turned out pretty good.

Reactions: Fig

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Last edited:

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Seems like a typical Flames pick lol 'safe' pick. I think he'll be a fine middle 6'er, but man there was some gamers chilling and we went #TypicalFlames

at least we didn't trade down? XD

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Would rather have had Musty, Barlow, or Yager but I don't mind Honzek either. Really moves well for his size and decent IQ from what I've watched of him. Might be two or three years out but I think he'll play.

Admit my mind immediately went to Slovakian Jankowski. That could just be the trauma tho.
He doesn't deserve that comparison at all he isn't a reach but he does have a lower ceiling then other guys that were available

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Jason Bukala's scouting report: A big, strong forward who gives opponents all they can handle in the offensive zone below the goal line, coming off the boards, going to the net, and setting up around the crease looking for tips and screens. Real good puck touch.

Equal parts goal scorer and playmaker. Sound hockey IQ. Understands how to play responsibly in all three zones. His skating will need to improve another 10 per cent for the NHL game.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was kind of hoping for Musty but Mitchell Brown watches a ton of hockey and if he thinks Honzek has high upside Im willing to believe him.

I'm confused. Most posters are saying high floor low ceiling so a safe pick. But isn't that tweet hinting at boom or bust?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
What the heck? I finally watched the clip in @Dack post and the first thing I noticed is that his skating and stride is reminiscent of Chucky. Even where he glides to in front and behind the net reminds me of Chucky.

I don't see the Backlund in his game but it's a small sample size clip. But a Backlund lite or Chucky lite and this is a homerun pick at this spot.

Edit: Nvm, the latter half of the clip has some stuff that looks like Backlund and shows a faster skating stride. I kinda see it now.

Lots of his skillet reminds me of different facets of the 3M line in different plays, which isn't bad at all.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What the heck? I finally watched the clip in @Dack post and the first thing I noticed is that his skating and stride is reminiscent of Chucky. Even where he glides to in front and behind the net reminds me of Chucky.

I don't see the Backlund in his game but it's a small sample size clip. But a Backlund lite or Chucky lite and this is a homerun pick at this spot.

Huberdeau-Honzek-Coronato
Pelletier-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Zary-Unger Sorum-Ruzicka

Hanifin-Andersson
Lindstein-Weegar

would be an awesome top 9/top 4 in a few years.

Reactions: Pomee

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm laughing pretty hard at some of these comparisons. He's nothing like Backlund, nothing like Rantanen. He's most like a more consistent Ruzicka. Lots of tools, but not hard enough on the puck. He will play, but most likely a middle 6 role.

There were half a dozen players I liked better in this spot. Oliver Moore is a lock to be a top 6 C. He might be better than Will Smith right now. ASP I haven't seen, but most had him around #10. I've seen tons of Cristall. He's vastly better than Honzek right now, although Honzek has more pace and size.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00