Prospect Info: Samuel Honzek (LW/C) Vancouver Giants (Drafted 16th overall 2023)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I want to see how this guy looks on the Wranglers with some more skilled players. Pretty underwhelming D+1 season for a guy taken as high as he was in a draft seemingly as deep as this.

Find myself agreeing with the earlier sentiment that the Flames chose him because of size and the possibility he might play C over some other seemingly obvious choices.

It's still early, hopefully Honzek has a healthy season next year and makes some big strides.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I hate to say I told you so... Actually I love saying it, what am I talking about? The obvious picks there were ASP or Moore. A guy who went at the end of the 2nd round was clearly a better prospect to anyone who had watched both. The Flames can't reach for size like this again. We need front of the roster talent, not guys who top out as an average middle 6 winger.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
@The Nemesis how do you feel about Honzek’s progress (or lack thereof) this season?

At first when he was back from his injury/wjcs/whatever else was keeping him out I thought he looked good. Not game-controlling dominant but he played hard, scored some pretty goals, scored some greasy goals, and pressured defences on the rush. This sort of peaked around the trade deadline where he was, to the best of my now fuzzy memory, on a line with Jaden Lipinski and the then-freshly-acquired Winnipeg Jets draft pick Connor Levis. For a couple of weeks they were wrecking teams.

But I don't know what happened after that. Somewhere along the way he really cooled off and just never seemed to have the same spark to close out the season. Sure he still picked up some points and would score the odd goal (and looking at his stats now he was basically PPG for the season) but it just seemed... I dunno.... underwhelming I guess? Then he got shuffled off that line and his wing spot was taken by 2025-eligible winger Cameron Schmidt who took over as the team's primary goal-scorer. Now on a second line with some much more secondary talents (a pair of undrafted guys who are 18 and 19 years old this season after the team lost its early-season scoring leader to a nasty skate cut on his forearm early in the new year) he sort of faded into the background. Part of it was likely because he was now working with guys whose career highs prior to this season were like 12 and 19 goals respectively. But I don't know if you can blame all of it on that.

I know from time to time there was a guy that would stand at the drink rail/standing-room-bar up above my section that I think may have been a Flames scout and on a few occasions when I went past he would be talking to someone about what might've been Honzek and he seemed less than impressed (full disclosure: I cannot guarantee that's what he was talking about or what his full thoughts were. I wasn't going to interrupt his conversation nor did I want to just butt in while he was doing his job other times.) and seemed like he had issues with Honzek's decision making and consistency of compete level. But I also know I've heard the Giants radio broadcast post-game's color guy rave about Honzek's compete even during this playoff series where the team was getting worked over a lot of the time. Obvious homer bias there, but the guy (Bill Wilms, a golf and hockey commentator who played some NCAA hockey and I think coached BC-based Jr A or B for a few years a couple decades ago) is usually pretty blunt when he doesn't like something. So I dunno.

All in all I think this was a disappointing year on the whole for Honzek. It was kind of screwed by the lost start to the year and time away for the WJCs, and if you just look at the scoresheet going a point-per-game for almost half a season's worth of games isn't terrible, but I expected more.

Still, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that he probably turns pro next year and the Flames will try to guide his development in the AHL. Maybe there's value in having him come back and see if he can crush the WHL in a season-long leading role, and I think the Vancouver coaching staff are good teachers (the current coach was most recently the coach for Vegas' AHL club the last few yeras, but he also coached in Austria's pro league and took the Austrian national team to the Olympics one year. So it's not like he's unfamiliar with shaping guys for pro roles.) but it feels like if his issues are more micro-scale and not just "gain confidence" the Flames might see more value in actually controlling it.

The other thing that might be annoying for you guys is that he never played center at all. Sure, maybe it's just a sign he was always going to be destined for a wing role in the pros (for all I know this was at the behest of the Flames, though I'm not sure that would be something an NHL team would push for a guy not to gain more experience for versatility) but it seems weird not to have a guy who apparently could play center do so even when the team was struggling to figure out its scoring depth was a bit of a choice.

Without going into another thread or going into nearly as much depth I think Lipinski had a solid season. He led the team in scoring, was usually the 1C, and while I don't know if the offence translates up (I'm not a scout and I suck at making those sorts of projections) he at least feels like he competes hard, backchecks hard and could be a solid 3C pro even if his scoring output flattens out.

Keep in mind that no matter how authoritative the above sounded I am not a scout and do not have elite takes in terms of evaluating hockey players. I've watched lots of guys at this level who I was impressed by and almost to the last they've never really gone anywhere. Except this kid I saw last year. Connor something... He turned out OK I guess.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Will Honzek come up to the AHL or ECHL to end the year...?

I know he's been meh this year, but just curious

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
At first when he was back from his injury/wjcs/whatever else was keeping him out I thought he looked good. Not game-controlling dominant but he played hard, scored some pretty goals, scored some greasy goals, and pressured defences on the rush. This sort of peaked around the trade deadline where he was, to the best of my now fuzzy memory, on a line with Jaden Lipinski and the then-freshly-acquired Winnipeg Jets draft pick Connor Levis. For a couple of weeks they were wrecking teams.

But I don't know what happened after that. Somewhere along the way he really cooled off and just never seemed to have the same spark to close out the season. Sure he still picked up some points and would score the odd goal (and looking at his stats now he was basically PPG for the season) but it just seemed... I dunno.... underwhelming I guess? Then he got shuffled off that line and his wing spot was taken by 2025-eligible winger Cameron Schmidt who took over as the team's primary goal-scorer. Now on a second line with some much more secondary talents (a pair of undrafted guys who are 18 and 19 years old this season after the team lost its early-season scoring leader to a nasty skate cut on his forearm early in the new year) he sort of faded into the background. Part of it was likely because he was now working with guys whose career highs prior to this season were like 12 and 19 goals respectively. But I don't know if you can blame all of it on that.

I know from time to time there was a guy that would stand at the drink rail/standing-room-bar up above my section that I think may have been a Flames scout and on a few occasions when I went past he would be talking to someone about what might've been Honzek and he seemed less than impressed (full disclosure: I cannot guarantee that's what he was talking about or what his full thoughts were. I wasn't going to interrupt his conversation nor did I want to just butt in while he was doing his job other times.) and seemed like he had issues with Honzek's decision making and consistency of compete level. But I also know I've heard the Giants radio broadcast post-game's color guy rave about Honzek's compete even during this playoff series where the team was getting worked over a lot of the time. Obvious homer bias there, but the guy (Bill Wilms, a golf and hockey commentator who played some NCAA hockey and I think coached BC-based Jr A or B for a few years a couple decades ago) is usually pretty blunt when he doesn't like something. So I dunno.

All in all I think this was a disappointing year on the whole for Honzek. It was kind of screwed by the lost start to the year and time away for the WJCs, and if you just look at the scoresheet going a point-per-game for almost half a season's worth of games isn't terrible, but I expected more.

Still, I've sort of resigned myself to the fact that he probably turns pro next year and the Flames will try to guide his development in the AHL. Maybe there's value in having him come back and see if he can crush the WHL in a season-long leading role, and I think the Vancouver coaching staff are good teachers (the current coach was most recently the coach for Vegas' AHL club the last few yeras, but he also coached in Austria's pro league and took the Austrian national team to the Olympics one year. So it's not like he's unfamiliar with shaping guys for pro roles.) but it feels like if his issues are more micro-scale and not just "gain confidence" the Flames might see more value in actually controlling it.

The other thing that might be annoying for you guys is that he never played center at all. Sure, maybe it's just a sign he was always going to be destined for a wing role in the pros (for all I know this was at the behest of the Flames, though I'm not sure that would be something an NHL team would push for a guy not to gain more experience for versatility) but it seems weird not to have a guy who apparently could play center do so even when the team was struggling to figure out its scoring depth was a bit of a choice.

Without going into another thread or going into nearly as much depth I think Lipinski had a solid season. He led the team in scoring, was usually the 1C, and while I don't know if the offence translates up (I'm not a scout and I suck at making those sorts of projections) he at least feels like he competes hard, backchecks hard and could be a solid 3C pro even if his scoring output flattens out.

Keep in mind that no matter how authoritative the above sounded I am not a scout and do not have elite takes in terms of evaluating hockey players. I've watched lots of guys at this level who I was impressed by and almost to the last they've never really gone anywhere. Except this kid I saw last year. Connor something... He turned out OK I guess.
Again just stuff you don't like to hear.

I'll be setting my expectations low low, but when you can't even muster a ppg in the WHL as a first-rounder in your D+1 something is up.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
CTRL+C & CTRL-V is one of the many services I provide. :laugh:

I am always excited to see how a Flames 4th round pick does. Lipinski is no exception.
Haha.

Yah I mean clearly Morin and Honzek (should) have more potential/upside than Lipinski- but I think Lip is more pro ready and has a chance to be a bit like our General Manager

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
While it's fair to be disappointed with his D+1 season, by no means should we write him off at this point. Next year (at whatever level) will be critical for him to show some progression.
I would still prefer to see him return & have a dominant year.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Honzek day to day. Not the end of the world but sucks to see. Really hoping he proves the consensus wrong next year because our prospect pool could use a surprise.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Honzek day to day. Not the end of the world but sucks to see. Really hoping he proves the consensus wrong next year because our prospect pool could use a surprise.
Kid has clearly had a rough season with injuries. Kid missed 1/3 of the season and was injured early in training camp... was cut by a skate at the WJC and missed more time, then a facial injury forcing him to wear a full mask... now whatever this is. How do you even get into a rhythm or build chemistry?

Injured in camp.
Returns Dec. 1
Plays 5 games
Doesn't play in WHL for a month (WJC and injury)
Plays 6 games, forced to wear a bubble

Honestly his season reminds me of Pelletier's this year, but no one is claiming Pelletier will be a bust for taking a step back this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00