Value of: Sami Vatanen

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Perry wont waive

You can have that belief and state it as such but you can't make a definitive statement like you did. I can give at least 3 reasons why he might do it so isn't out of the question. I did say it was a long shot and you just should have simply acknowledged that it is

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
You can have that belief and state it as such but you can't make a definitive statement like you did. I can give at least 3 reasons why he might do it isn't out of the question. I did say it was a long shot and you just should have simply acknowledged that it is

Sure I can't say for sure but the odds are against him waiving. No way do I see him wanting to risk playing for expansion Las Vegas team over remaining in Anaheim. This isn't a Bieksa situation that you know no way would Las Vegas take you.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
The expansion draft is all about GM's being creative. One option for Murray is to give LV a 2nd for agreeing not to take An exposed Vatanen. Another is for him to get Perry and Bieksa to waive their NMC'S for the ED then go 4-4-1 with Cogliano the odd man out. Very low chance that LV would take either Perry or Bieksa. A long shot to be sure but something creative is going to happen. It always does

Vegas will take Perry in a heartbeat. He would likely be their best, if not one of their best, forwards.. you have to realize that their options up front are fairly limited due to the depth of the protection slots.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Sure I can't say for sure but the odds are against him waiving. No way do I see him wanting to risk playing for expansion Las Vegas team over remaining in Anaheim. This isn't a Bieksa situation that you know no way would Las Vegas take you.

Perry would be correct in assuming that there is no way LV takes on his massive salary for the remaining years. Why would they especially considering he might be on the verge of a massive decline. Then there is the rumor that he isn't happy in Anaheim and may welcome a change of scenery. Playing in vegas gives him an instant 13% pay increase since they have no state income tax. Finally, knowing he won't get selected he helps the team by allowing them to kee the roster intact and not lose a Vatanen or Silverberg for nothing

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Vegas will take Perry in a heartbeat. He would likely be their best, if not one of their best, forwards.. you have to realize that their options up front are fairly limited due to the depth of the protection slots.

Have you seen his contract and his declining productivity? He is close to being one of the worst contracts in the league. Not to mention he is 32 years old and his skating is a real liability now and going forward. And you think Vegas takes that?

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Perry would be correct in assuming that there is no way LV takes on his massive salary for the remaioyears. Why would they especially considering he might be on the verge of a massive decline. Then there is the rumor that he isn't happy in Anaheim and may welcome a change of scenery. Playing in vegas gives him an instant 13% pay increase since they have no state income tax. Finally, knowing he won't get selected he helps the team by allowing them to kee the roster intact and not lose a Vatanen or Silverberg from nothing

Perry is a big name especially compared to any forwards they would have. He would provide veteran leadership to the team. He would help them reach the cap floor. He had 1 bad season and he could rebound. I wouldn't want to risk being taken by Las Vegas if I was him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Perry is a big name especially compared to any forwards they would have. He would provide veteran leadership to the team. He would help them reach the cap floor. He had 1 bad season and he could rebound. I wouldn't want to risk being taken by Las Vegas if I was him.

Fair concerns but I gave you the flip side as well. I said it was a long shot but don't be surprised if something like that happens. Crazy things happen with the expansion draft. Let me also say that Perry would not be a fan draw and LV could get 5 veteran leaders for the price of him alone. I don't think they would relish paying 8 million for a 15 goal scorer

Last edited:

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Fair concerns but I gave you the flip side as well. I said it was a long shot but don't be surprised if something like that happens. Crazy things happen with the expansion draft

Sure it is possible but it would surprise me if it actually happened.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

He is already experiencing a substantial drop off in his production (19 goals) so I don't see LV choosing him and his $8.6 million salary for four more years.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Vatanen and Lindholm both need shoulder surgery for torn labrums.... not at all likely they'll be healthy enough to start the season in the fall....so it's buyer beware.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Vats is a nice piece but he isn't what the Leafs need. I do hope they pass on him entirely.

The Leafs really need a stud. Vatanen is not a stud and will not satisfy that need.

The only thing he brings is being right handed. Otherwise, the Leafs already have plenty of similar talent to work with.

There's really no need to overpay for another guy.

No need to clog up the roster for the younger and newer players under development either.

Plus, it's always a gamble coming off surgery.

Strong pass on Vatanen.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
I don't understand the "should Perry waive" question? Just because "big salary+little production+too many D=should waive" applies to Bieksa, doesn't mean that the same narrative is instantly applicable to every underperforming Duck. Let alone a franchise player, albeit a declining one. The logic just doesn't add up. Won't happen, guaranteed.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Perry may eventually be traded, Kessel-style. But I guarantee he won't waive for Vegas. Besides the Ducks don't need him to. The current issue is with D, which is why we're speculating Vatanen.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
If Perry waives and is exposed there is no way Vegas doesn't take him on a free, contract be damned. Marketability is a huge factor plus you'll have him without a NTC yourself so he becomes trade bait with retention for a team that shouldn't be near the ceiling.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Vats is a nice piece but he isn't what the Leafs need. I do hope they pass on him entirely.

The Leafs really need a stud. Vatanen is not a stud and will not satisfy that need.

The only thing he brings is being right handed. Otherwise, the Leafs already have plenty of similar talent to work with.

There's really no need to overpay for another guy.

No need to clog up the roster for the younger and newer players under development either.

Plus, it's always a gamble coming off surgery.

Strong pass on Vatanen.

You're not going to get that without giving up one of the big 3.

If Perry waives and is exposed there is no way Vegas doesn't take him on a free, contract be damned. Marketability is a huge factor plus you'll have him without a NTC yourself so he becomes trade bait with retention for a team that shouldn't be near the ceiling.

Yep, the forward market is so weak that they'd take Perry without thinking if given the chance.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You're not going to get that without giving up one of the big 3.

Yep, the forward market is so weak that they'd take Perry without thinking if given the choice.

I would move one if the right D was available. (Not Matthews).
Who did you have in mind?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad