Value of: Sami Vatanen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would move one if the right D was available. (Not Matthews).
Who did you have in mind?

I don't think there's a worthy of 1st pair RD available right now.

But overall my point was if they want a beast D-man it's going to take one of the big 3.

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I would move one if the right D was available. (Not Matthews).
Who did you have in mind?

Well thank god you're not the GM. You don't trade away a player of Nylander's caliber. The kid just won MVP in a tournament full of NHL superstars. People are so fixated Toronto needs a bona-fide #1 defenseman when really, they just need a solid top 4 defensive defenseman. We have assets to obtain that without trading one of our big three. 1st round pick, Kapanen, JvR, prospects. All could be used to put a package to obtain a top 4 defensive defenseman.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
The potential Nylander/Marner have is too high to trade him for someone that isn't a #1D. And the issue is that if you did make a move like that you're giving up 5+ years of control as there arent many, if any, #1s under the age of 25. The alternative is moving them for someone who looks like they are going to be a #1 (ala Werenski, Parayko, etc), but then you also risk them not panning out as that bonafide #1 while Nylander/Marner end up becoming what you believe they can be (or vice versa, or both not living up, or neither living up).

There are a handful of D I would move one of Nylander/Marner for, and they aren't available so there isnt a deal to be made (Karlsson, Subban, Hedman, etc).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well thank god you're not the GM. You don't trade away a player of Nylander's caliber. The kid just won MVP in a tournament full of NHL superstars. People are so fixated Toronto needs a bona-fide #1 defenseman when really, they just need a solid top 4 defensive defenseman. We have assets to obtain that without trading one of our big three. 1st round pick, Kapanen, JvR, prospects. All could be used to put a package to obtain a top 4 defensive defenseman.

If someone offered a franchise D-man for Nylander you really should think about it.

Don't underrate the importance of defense in the playoffs.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
If someone offered a franchise D-man for Nylander you really should think about it.

Don't underrate the importance of defense in the playoffs.

This is correct.

And don't underrate the fact Toronto has had a bottom-5 blueline every season for what 10 years now?

Anyway, I think leaf fans will find the D-man offers for Nylander well below what they want.

No one on earth is trading Hedman for Nylander.

The Ducks wouldn't trade Lindholm for Nylander.

You may get something like Noah Hanifin at this point, and I'd be pretty intrigued as a Toronto GM.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is correct.

And don't underrate the fact Toronto has had a bottom-5 blueline every season for what 10 years now?

Anyway, I think leaf fans will find the D-man offers for Nylander well below what they want.

No one on earth is trading Hedman for Nylander.

The Ducks wouldn't trade Lindholm for Nylander.

You may get something like Noah Hanifin at this point, and I'd be pretty intrigued as a Toronto GM.

Ok, i'll bite, why would you be so intrigued about trading a 61 point rookie for Hanafin? There are probably 3 D men i would move Nylander for...Trouba, Provorov or Werenski (Obviously leaving out the Doughty/Karlsson/OELs of the world). We won't get them and that's fine.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Brassard for Vatanen

Ducks get center to slot in behind Getzlaf/Kesler and ahead of Vermette.

Ottawa gets top 4 puck mover who can QB the second PP unit. They can make a corresponding move for a center (move Ceci + prospects, etc.)

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Brassard for Vatanen

Ottawa gets top 4 puck mover who can QB the second PP unit. They can make a corresponding move for a center (move Ceci + prospects, etc.)

The Ducks are after younger, lower cost forwards, not forwards who are older and make more than Vatanen.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
The Ducks are after younger, lower cost forwards, not forwards who are older and make more than Vatanen.

What about prospect Colin White then? Expansion draft exempt, young, profiles as a 2nd/3rd line checking center according to scouting reports.

Might be a bit expensive for Ottawa though.

What about Dzingle?

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
What about prospect Colin White then? Expansion draft exempt, young, profiles as a 2nd/3rd line checking center according to scouting reports.

Might be a bit expensive for Ottawa though.

What about Dzingle?

at this point. if be happy with either brassard or dzingle as a base with some add. brassard cap hit is 5.0 but actual salary is 3.5 for years.

since he is 30 and only on a 2 year I'd expect the send to add something.

Dzingle looked good when I saw him but I'm not sure I believe he only one year younger than sammi and has a accomplished a lot less. I think Ottawa has to add more here too.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Brassard for Vatanen

Unless the Sens have made a deal with LV to take Ryan for the cost of a first then LV will probably take Ceci in the ED.
They already have to protect Phaneuf, Karlsson and Methot.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
at this point. if be happy with either brassard or dzingle as a base with some add. brassard cap hit is 5.0 but actual salary is 3.5 for years.

since he is 30 and only on a 2 year I'd expect the send to add something.

Dzingle looked good when I saw him but I'm not sure I believe he only one year younger than sammi and has a accomplished a lot less. I think Ottawa has to add more here too.

I'd be willing to do either Brassard or Dzingle for Vatanen from Ottawa's perspective Ottawa.

If Brassard, Ottawa would then likely try to package Ceci with White or picks to acquire a center to replace Brass.

Unless the Sens have made a deal with LV to take Ryan for the cost of a first then LV will probably take Ceci in the ED.
They already have to protect Phaneuf, Karlsson and Methot.

My thinking is bring in Vatanen to upgrade the top 4 D and PP on Ottawa. He would take the place of Ceci.

If you can convince Phaneuf to waive his NMC, great. Protect Karlsson, Vatanen, Methot. If not, protect Karlsson, Dion, Vatanen and make a side deal with LV to not select Methot.

The acquisition of Vatanen makes Ceci expendable. You can Trade Ceci in a package with prospects or picks for a center to replace Brassard.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
May not happen but a Vatanen for Drouin deal makes so much sense for both teams. Perfect fit for each team.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

Remember when we were told no one would want Vats because it would be doing us a favor? And then he got injured and no team would want him because of it?

People here are so focused on winning any kind of deal or doing whatever they can to screw over another team.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Remember when we were told no one would want Vats because it would be doing us a favor? And then he got injured and no team would want him because of it?

People here are so focused on winning any kind of deal or doing whatever they can to screw over another team.

Good ole leaf fans :naughty:

AkiLumme

May 9, 2017
Ottawa
May not happen but a Vatanen for Drouin deal makes so much sense for both teams. Perfect fit for each team.

Tampa would probably have to move some salary to make it work. Not saying that means it wouldn't happen but there would need to be some additional moves.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Remember when HF posters make up things to push their agendas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad