Value of: Sami Vatanen

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Our five most dangerous forwards are all righties, it would be nice to add a lefty offensive player for the purpose of diversifying the attack. It would particularly help on the PP to have a one timer threat on both sides.

Good, I'd rather keep him anyways. I like Vatanen but I'm not willing to give up Kappy for him. I'd rather he go somewhere else. :)

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I wonder if people said the same ridiculousness about other players who had a bad playoff series in their first playoffs.

Agreed with you there but if we take RNH, then we are definitely losing Fowler and chances of resigning Manson & co. next summer becomes very slim. We have too much $ tied up in our top 2 centers and a winger and need cheaper alternatives.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I wonder if people said the same ridiculousness about other players who had a bad playoff series in their first playoffs.

Not just a bad playoffs... Trying to sell a 43 point guy who makes 6M a year to a team that's looking for scoring and doesn't have a ton of cap space seems like a bad plan no?

The playoff scoring part of the discussion just came up because of the guy trying to tell us how having RNH would have been the scoring we needed to put us over the top this year. :help:

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
Lindholm's rehab could be 4-5 months. Sami Vatanen, who also had a shoulder injury, will take even longer for surgery/rehab.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Im curious to see how that will affect their trade value. I'd have to imagine multiple gms smell blood in the water and will be trying to get one of the two at a discount

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Im curious to see how that will affect their trade value. I'd have to imagine multiple gms smell blood in the water and will be trying to get one of the two at a discount

One of the two? There isn't a single piece of information that suggests that Lindholm is on the block. Seeing as Vatanen clearly had a down year, I doubt anyone looking to buy is surprised to see that he had an injury. It would have been worse if he had a clean bill of health.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
the Leafs have been heavily talked about with Vats on here. Can't imagine they would pay as much for an injured Vats and any injury that long leaves a question mark. Puts a bit of a damper on maybe wanting him for me.(I was only with 1 of Kap or 17+, now possibly not which without 1 of them at leastwouldn't get it done) Still though you would assume Vegas would still take him despite him being injured so Anaheim still probably will trade him so it'll be interesting to see what the return is now and if anyone is still willing to pay full price.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Would the Ducks be interested in DeAngelo + the 23rd pick? DeAngelo would be a cheap, expansion exempt option. Could take Vatanen's PP minutes.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
Would the Ducks be interested in DeAngelo + the 23rd pick? DeAngelo would be a cheap, expansion exempt option. Could take Vatanen's PP minutes.

Interesting offer... Definitely a gamble from Anaheim but if Tony shapes himself he could equal vatanen and the 23rd would be a warmly welcomed add on.. If deangelo doesn't progress you could be looking at a great deal from Arizona and pairing him with OeL could be fun for everyone

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
No, he isn't a young forward with a few years on the contract. The 1st in a weak draft means very little to a team with a window that could close if proper pieces are not acquired.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Two part trade with the Sabres.

Vats for a 2nd round pick before the expansion draft.
Evander Kane to the Ducks for a 5th round pick after the ED.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Vatanen has a lot more value than a 2nd rounder.
E. Kane is an upcoming UFA (NOT WHAT DUCKS WANT), he is also one of the few players I hope never play on this club.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

Kane for the same reason as JVR (UFA after next season) doesn't work for the Ducks. It wouldn't need to wait til after expansion anyways because we have room to protect another forward.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I think the injury helps his trade potential more than it hurts it. Anyone trading for Vatanen isn't doing it for a one year playoff run. It would be long term. The injury explains why his numbers were down this year. Shoulder surgeries are much less of a question mark than knee surgeries. I don't think league GMs are as short sighted as some of the posters here.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
Kane for the same reason as JVR (UFA after next season) doesn't work for the Ducks. It wouldn't need to wait til after expansion anyways because we have room to protect another forward.

I think, from a Buffalo POV, we would prefer to wait until after the ED, seeing as we don't have another forward worth keeping and already have our 3D

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Will be interesting to see what he goes for now. Only 1 month until the exp draft, and he just had / is just having major shoulder surgery. Might scare a few teams off before the exp draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think the injury helps his trade potential more than it hurts it. Anyone trading for Vatanen isn't doing it for a one year playoff run. It would be long term. The injury explains why his numbers were down this year. Shoulder surgeries are much less of a question mark than knee surgeries. I don't think league GMs are as short sighted as some of the posters here.

Shoulder surgeries are never a good thing.

But I don't think his price takes a huge hit, his 25y, signed for 3 more years and will miss the 1st month or so.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Will be interesting to see what he goes for now. Only 1 month until the exp draft, and he just had / is just having major shoulder surgery. Might scare a few teams off before the exp draft.

I agree.
How many team are willing to wait until after Halloween to get him in their lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad