Value of: Sami Vatanen

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
A few months ago, both Tampa and Anaheim fanbases were OK to make a Palat for Vatanen swap. Is it still the case?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I know Duck fans aren't interested in either Nyquist/Tatar but i would offer.

Detroit Red Wings- Sami Vatanen

Anaheim Ducks- Nyquist/ Tatar+Detroit's 2017 2nd round pick

Think that would be a fair offer.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Vatanen's value before the exp. draft if he's to be exposed + possible destinations?

I always thought of him as being slightly underrated.

Young top 6 forward with similar cost control (no rentals).

If that type of deal can't be lined up prior to expansion, auction him off for futures and use the cap space to add a forward in the summer. Should be able to fetch a very good young piece or multiple good pieces.

Cost control is a big issue, not going to see Murray trade for pieces due for big raises in the near future IMO.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ducks fans have been trying really hard to get JVR from the Leafs, and so I think it's time to finally agree.

Seems a JVR for Vatanen swap is well liked by both fans and most importantly, is a completely unique idea that I personally have never seen mentioned.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ducks fans have been trying really hard to get JVR from the Leafs, and so I think it's time to finally agree.

Seems a JVR for Vatanen swap is well liked by both fans and most importantly, is a completely unique idea that I personally have never seen mentioned.
Ducks fans have been trying hard to get JVR? On this site? Where??? Everything i have read is absolutely the other way around.....no Ducks fans want JVR.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Now you're just being:sarcasm: Because Duck fans have wanted no part of JVR. Murray should be fired if he did a 1 year rental in JVR for 3 years of Vatanen.

From Tampa i still feel that Palat for Vatanen makes the most sense here as a Wings fan i would do something around Nyquist/Tatar+2nd round pick. But pretty sure Anaheim can get better.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't trade either Kapanen or a 1st as a Leaf's fan.

I understand the sentiment, but as i always said in the Andersen to TO threads every time someone bashed me for offering the Pitt 1st rounder, i don't see a player at #17 in this draft that holds the value of a youngish top 4 RHD on a great contract.

Now, is he ideal for our situation? Maybe not....but i have been watching him closely since hus return, and he isn't as bad as most are/were saying (including myself) defensively.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
I know Duck fans aren't interested in either Nyquist/Tatar but i would offer.

Detroit Red Wings- Sami Vatanen

Anaheim Ducks- Nyquist/ Tatar+Detroit's 2017 2nd round pick

Think that would be a fair offer.

I don't mind Tatar at all, but he is a RFA w/no contract atm. The add would have to be better than a 2nd round pick.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
J.T Miller.

Call Murray up.

This deal depends on which way the Rangers decides to go. Shattenkirk as an free asset with a higher caphit or Vatanen in an trade.

I'd rather have Shatty, i hope his playoffs Will lower the $.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

Glad to see you've finally come around, nice doing business with you. :laugh:

And in all seriousness, getting a comparable top 6 forward on a comparable contract would be fair value, although settling for a solid package of futures wouldn't be the worst thing considering Fowler needs to be paid next year and we could use Vatanen's cap space to do so. (We also could re-sign Eaves with that 5M)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
A few months ago, both Tampa and Anaheim fanbases were OK to make a Palat for Vatanen swap. Is it still the case?

It isn't Ideal since he is due a raise, but the player fits our need perfectly.

I actually think Tampa has the 2 players I most want to move Vatanen (+) for. Palat and Drouin are the guys I want.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012

Doesn't make a TON of sense for Anaheim, they won't be able to re-sign JVR so it is a pure rental - plus he has to be expansion protected which makes them lose Vermette (yeah, not really much of a loss at all, but it counts for a ~2nd-3rd round pick of value lost).

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
The best move for Anaheim (by far) is to trade Vatanen directly for a ELC contract forward that is expansion exempt.

Nothing in the league makes more sense for both teams than:

Kapanen for Vatanen

Leafs probably need to add a 1st or 2nd, but given Anaheim's lack of bargaining power and the immaculateness of the fit, I'd still take it straight up.

Edit: Yes I know some will say he isn't a perfect stylistic fit - but you're really being way too spoiled here.

Leafs need a top-4 right handed defender. They have a bad defensive unit that was bottom-5 in the league and has been for years.

Vatanen is a very good top-4 right handed defender (a legit #3) with lots of experience under his belt including deep into the playoffs.

Yes you want Manson, you want Hedman, you want Doughty - but we have Vatanen and he's way more available than defenders of his stature typically are.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
The best move for Anaheim (by far) is to trade Vatanen directly for a ELC contract forward that is expansion exempt.

Kapanen for Vatanen

Leafs probably need to add a 1st or 2nd, but given Anaheim's lack of bargaining power and the immaculateness of the fit, I'd still take it straight up.

Edit: Yes I know some will say he isn't a perfect stylistic fit - but you're really being way too spoiled here.

Leafs need a top-4 right handed defender. They have a bad defensive unit that was bottom-5 in the league and has been for years.

Vatanen is a very good top-4 right handed defender (a legit #3) with lots of experience under his belt including deep into the playoffs.

Yes you want Manson, you want Hedman, you want Doughty - but we have Vatanen and he's way more available than defenders of his stature typically are.

The lack of bargaining power? Did you watch the TSN video where they discuss the situation? Lol, we will be in a good position since there will be multiple teams trying to get him.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Also, Anaheim doesn't need an expansion exempt forward coming our way. Defense is the only place where Anaheim is up against the ED, even if we add another eligible forward.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Kapanen for Vatanen

If the price is Kap+1st....i pass. The 1st+....or Kap+....maybe, but not both.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
J.T Miller.

Call Murray up.

This deal depends on which way the Rangers decides to go. Shattenkirk as an free asset with a higher caphit or Vatanen in an trade.

I'd rather have Shatty, i hope his playoffs Will lower the $.

Not a chance I would trade Miller for Vatanen, before the season I'd be all for it but Vatanen hasn't impressed me at all this year. Miller hit 56 points and still has untapped potential, he can hit 60+ next year. I don't really want Shatty or Vatanen that badly. Manson interests me much more and I'd add a plus to Miller to grab him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad