Prospect Info: Sam Rinzel D Chaska High School-Minnesota 25th overall

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I think Rinzel and Moore should both play 3 years of college and they will both come out ready to jump right into the lineup full time.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
is Rinzel off the a slow start at Minnesota?

No he's been very good. I'm going by this Hawks current regime patience with young defenseman so far (not named Korchinski). I think they'll let him overcook in college. Could he be 2 years as well? Yes, but I would say he would had to take an amazing jump from his freshman to sophomore season for the Hawks to turn him pro.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I’ve been glued to the TV so far this hockey year. I’ve seen a ton of games. He’s been way better than I thought so far. His size skating, hands. All very very good. He plays pretty engaged too.

Still needs to learn a lot defensively. Not completely lost but it isn’t clean. Lots of guessing on where to be, when to pinch, when to retreat. Holding each blue line.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I’ve been glued to the TV so far this hockey year. I’ve seen a ton of games. He’s been way better than I thought so far. His size skating, hands. All very very good. He plays pretty engaged too.

Still needs to learn a lot defensively. Not completely lost but it isn’t clean. Lots of guessing on where to be, when to pinch, when to retreat. Holding each blue line.
Got robbed at the end of overtime today too

Reactions: clydesdale line

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
IMG_8350.jpeg

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Glad they're taking their time with Rinzel. It's what he needs.

At this rate he could even up better than Korchinski who they sabotaged this year.

Reactions: wladyslaw

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Lot of people ripped the Nolan Allan's and Sam Rinzel picks.....and Allan may never be more than a hard to play against 3rd pairing guy, but Rinzel could be a real stud......his brother is a big lifter so if he starts adding some beef to that frame and skating, look out.

Reactions: Pez68 and Muffinalt

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Glad they're taking their time with Rinzel. It's what he needs.

At this rate he could even up better than Korchinski who they sabotaged this year.
After watching Korchinski at ice level all year, it was obvious that he didn’t belong in the NHL. Outmatched in strength/board battles/puck retrievals and shied away from contact. Should have been back in juniors, but best should have been in the AHL. I also wasn’t overly impressed offensively.

Hopefully he’s hitting the weights this offseason. Wouldn’t be displeased to see him start in the AHL and get taught how to play defense better for next season. Has so much to learn. Del Mastro, Kaiser, and Allen all are more NHL—ready.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
After watching Korchinski at ice level all year, it was obvious that he didn’t belong in the NHL. Outmatched in strength/board battles/puck retrievals and shied away from contact. Should have been back in juniors, but best should have been in the AHL. I also wasn’t overly impressed offensively.

Hopefully he’s hitting the weights this offseason. Wouldn’t be displeased to see him start in the AHL and get taught how to play defense better for next season. Has so much to learn. Del Mastro, Kaiser, and Allen all are more NHL—ready.

Agreed on your last paragraph. He needs to spend a lot of time lifting this summer. And I think starting him in the AHL wouldn’t be the worst thing. Let him play in all situations and get confidence.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think he was AVG when you factor who he was paired with Megna, tinordi zaitrsev and murph. I have never been a murphy fan. he is fine in PK and when the other team is in the zone but he is so slow getting back that he never can get the puck out in dump in. 3 of the 4 might be out of the league next year.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
When you project all the kids on D i'm not so sure this team doesnt have a future #1 in the bunch
Korchinski #1 - #3 potential (75/100 offence 60/100 defence )
Vlasic #2 - #3 potential (75/100 defence 50/100 offence )
Del Mastro #2 - #5 potential (65/100 offence 70/100 defence)
Kasier #3 - #5 potential (60/100 offence 65/100 defence )
Allan #4-#6 potential (65/100 defence 45/100 offence)
Rinzel #1- #6 potential (70/100 offence 55/100 defence )
Phillips #3 -#6 potential (60/100 defence 50/100 offence)
If Kyle drafts Levshunov it would certainly be a crowded backend .
(ratings If they hit their ceilings imo)

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I dont think KK has number 1 potential and his floor seems too high. You just can't teach things like innate defensive instincts and the competitive drive needed to be a stalwart. Just like how he has puck moving abilities that Vlasic will never have, he just doesn't have that defensive dawg in him. Plus he'd have to produce like a Josi to really compensate for that. Different players obviously, but all the exact same narratives were surrounding Boqvist at the same age and I think red flags defensively can certainly crop up at a young age.

Otherwise the ratings look solid. Excited to see how Rinzel develops.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
When you project all the kids on D i'm not so sure this team doesnt have a future #1 in the bunch
Korchinski #1 - #3 potential (75/100 offence 60/100 defence )
Vlasic #2 - #3 potential (75/100 defence 50/100 offence )
Del Mastro #2 - #5 potential (65/100 offence 70/100 defence)
Kasier #3 - #5 potential (60/100 offence 65/100 defence )
Allan #4-#6 potential (65/100 defence 45/100 offence)
Rinzel #1- #6 potential (70/100 offence 55/100 defence )
Phillips #3 -#6 potential (60/100 defence 50/100 offence)
If Kyle drafts Levshunov it would certainly be a crowded backend .
(ratings If they hit their ceilings imo)
everybody talks about #1 IE Keith/doughty/hedman in there prime. at any given time how many #1's are there in the league? A guy that can eat 25 mins. score 50-60 pts and shut down a top off line. the league has gotten away from that. MAKER, HUGHS, JOSI, FOX (the top 4 right now). they are elite off D men but do they do they do heavy lifting vs the other teams elite off lines. do they PK (I dont know that answer). my pt is you really need a strong top 4 that includes a few guys that can PP and join the rush, a few guys that can shut the top line down and PK.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have said it before but I will say it again: I think too many on this site are underrating how impressive KK was this season all things considered. I honestly don't understand how his stock has gone down with many of you after this season.
Just like how the Norris is an offensive, statistically biased trophy, and not a true indicator of the best overall D in the NHL nowadays, too many people go "ZOMG POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!" when it comes to D in the NHL, and being the best.

Reactions: hawksrule

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I have said it before but I will say it again: I think too many on this site are underrating how impressive KK was this season all things considered. I honestly don't understand how his stock has gone down with many of you after this season.
He's been about as good as Adam Boqvist was when he debuted.

His stock is going down not because of him, but because his development is being mishandled.

Another year in Seattle where he'd have the opportunity to be the definitive #1 Dman in the entire WHL, and people here would be feverishly hyping up his arrival to Chicago.

• Haha
Reactions: ChiHawks10

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
He's been about as good as Adam Boqvist was when he debuted.

His stock is going down not because of him, but because his development is being mishandled.

Another year in Seattle where he'd have the opportunity to be the definitive #1 Dman in the entire WHL, and people here would be feverishly hyping up his arrival to Chicago.
Not mishandled at all. Kevin Dean former Blackhawk is "the Dman whisperer"

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad