Prospect Info: Sam Rinzel D Chaska High School-Minnesota 25th overall

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Meh I couldn’t care less about me being right or wrong about some late 1st round pick. This team has been destroyed and I was right on SO many calls while most here including the plethora liking your post were absolutely clueless and thought were great moves, it’s just pure hating at this point. Saying this is similar to the kind of calls I have made in the past is pathetic. I rarely if ever comment on draft picks. This is not a prediction…
You ever going to stop living in the past? Every post you make is about how you think you were right about so many things, it's pretty pathetic at this point.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Jaccob Slavin was drafted at 170lbs.
Slavin is still less than 200lbs. I think he's listed 185-190. I thought he might be a decent comp.
He's a 6'5 teenager. It varies from person to person, but it would hardly be some crazy feat.
Fair enough. I just keep coming up with examples of guys that took longer. Trying to think of a decent one that put on 35-40 lbs for hockey without going on the high taste and questionable health benefits of some of diets the make for a more robust mid section.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
You ever going to stop living in the past? Every post you make is about how you think you were right about so many things, it's pretty pathetic at this point.
Ya sure buddy lol, you and many also claimed that my posts were apparently pathetic when I was making those incredible calls as well, now that everything is clear and I turned out to be right all along and I am digging it in as I should, they are of course pathetic yet again because people are sensitive about being wrong lol

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Can a player in a big program put on that much muscle in 3 1/2 years?
I thought it was more challenging for hockey players to build that fast.
Well, I'm no expert that's for sure but I would think he's a smart young man with a dream to not only make the bigs but to survive and thrive there so ... eventually he'll find his man body ... maybe I was a little too optimistic so let's say 5 to 7 years to make 210 by age 25. :)

Reactions: hockeydoug

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ya sure buddy lol, you and many also claimed that my posts were apparently pathetic when I was making those incredible calls as well, now that everything is clear and I turned out to be right all along and I am digging it in as I should, they are of course pathetic yet again because people are sensitive about being wrong lol
Nah, just tired of you living in the past, you haven't posted anything relative in months, if not years. Not sure anyone but me and a few others even see your posts anymore because people are tired of the same old, same old from you.

Reactions: BHawks77 and Pez68

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If he puts on 7lbs/year for the next 3 years he will be fine. No need to bulk up quick and possibly negatively affect things like his skating. Still a kid.
This is part of my concern with rapid weight gain.

It's amazing how healthy and boring so many of these college players are, seems like there are far fewer Amonte and Buff A-Y-C-E diets for some extra lbs. Personally a big fan of those.

(All You Can Eat)

Tough to gauge weight gain on the lanky kids in full gear. Is Rinzel still getting taller in the last 6months?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Rinzel does look thicker than he did when he was drafted. Says he's up to 185-187 right now and pushing for 190 this season (when he got drafted he was around 177-180 I believe). He wants to get to 195 next year.

Looking at the weights of NHLers around 6'5" (minus goalies), we're looking at about 220lbs as Sam's target weight by the time he hopefully consistently gets on NHL ice.

Let's say Sam is 190lbs right now. He just turned 19 (June 25). Let's give him 4 summers to train and gain ~30lbs. Big DMen take longer to develop. That's 7 pounds of muscle per year. It's doable by the time Sam's 22 years old.

6'5 220lbs is legitimate NHL weight for a big DMen. As a comparable, Alex Vlasic was listed at 211lbs (6'6") 2 years ago at Boston University (198lbs when drafted). A year later (Oct '22) and in the Hawks training regimen/system, he was 220lbs at 21 years of age. I'm sure he's gained some more muscle at 22.

So yeah ... 7lbs per summer for Rinzel is more than realistic by the time he is Hawks ready.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I have only seen him play one time in the USHL. I also have only seen highlights of his 2 games at Minnesota. Anyone seen him a lot more?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I have only seen him play one time in the USHL. I also have only seen highlights of his 2 games at Minnesota. Anyone seen him a lot more?

I watched 3 Minnesota games so far this season and he reminds me of right handed Vlassic with a better offensive game. Not just because he is tall - although there is that too - but because of the way he skates and uses his size defending. He seems to be positionally sound in the d-zone, calm and under control, makes good outlet passes and not afraid to shoot from the blue line or jump into offensive play.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I watched 3 Minnesota games so far this season and he reminds me of right handed Vlassic with a better offensive game. Not just because he is tall - although there is that too - but because of the way he skates and uses his size defending. He seems to be positionally sound in the d-zone, calm and under control, makes good outlet passes and not afraid to shoot from the blue line or jump into offensive play.

think that's fair. if the projected floor is Vlasic-level, with offensive upside (and, FWLIW, it looks like it), that's a pretty big win.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Seth Jones

Kevin Korchinski
Alex Vlasic
Wyatt Kaiser

Isaak Phillips

Nolan Allan
Ethan Del Mastro

Sam Rinzel

Not bad top eight, and I’m thinking one of their 2024 firsts will be a dman

Reactions: Muffinalt