Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Discuss
C2E12BBF-2CFA-44FE-B51E-DFEE5F99AB40.jpeg

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sam Rinzel bounced around a bit during his draft season. He started the year playing for Team USA in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup. Rinzel was held off the scoresheet in four tournament games. Drafted in the second round, #18 overall, by the Waterloo Black Hawks in the 2021 USHL Draft, Sam Rinzel had an excellent rookie season. The defenceman had two goals and eight assists for 10 points in 21 regular-season games. Unfortunately, he was kept scoreless in six playoff games.

Rinzel also played for Chaska High School, playing high school hockey in Minnesota. He scored nine goals and 29 assists for 38 points in 27 games. He also played for Team SIT Financial Services in the UMHSEHL. Rinzel scored four goals and 12 assists for 16 points in 18 regular-season games. He added three assists in three playoff games. Rinzel also played on the MNHP circuit. He put up two goals and three assists for five points in six games.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
47 on my board.

I like Rinzel, but I would have preferred quite a number of guys over him.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Bad trade and a reach

We could have had him at #38

Kyle ends night with another poor trade and a questionable pick

reach? He was 31 on Bob’s board and he went 25, not really a reach. Skates well and has a high ceiling. Saw him play live once this year and he stood out. Will need time but he will get it at the U of MN.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Just want to point out that Byron Bader is a moron. He doubled up goal production for NTDP players in his model for like... months, then he also said Rinzel wasn't PPG in HS hockey.... by looking at his USHL production.

Uhhh... & this guy has some NHLe model that is his end all be all.

Reactions: MileHighHawksFan

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
So in reading another scouting report this kid was probably the most NHL ready Dman to come out of HS, but will need several years of seasoning to realize the upside and potential of becoming a top 4 player. He's what I would call a "draft & stash" prospect in NBA terms.

Last edited:
Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
After the top 10-20 in any given year, scouts draft lists vary way too god damn much to worry about a slight “reach”. If your adamant about drafting a player, go get him.

I remember everyone giving yzerman shit for not trading back to get Seider. I bet he doesn’t give a f*** about that asset he could have gotten in a trade back because it guaranteed that he got his guy and he looks like he could be the best player in that draft. If you really like a player, it’s not worth it to wait imo.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
My look at Rinzel with a lot of video. Only for McKeen's subscribers though.

I know his game about as anyone in this class and I just love this pick for you guys. He is going to take some time for sure. His game is not perfect. But finding defenders with his skill, size, mobility, and tenacity is difficult. The application of those things consistently is a work in progress. However, he just oozes potential.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Hawks obviously thought Rinzel would not last to #38....

For posters to say Rinzell would dis a stupid statement...you cannot have guaranteed it.. Hawks obviously targeted him and wanted to insure they got their target.

Yes sone ranking orgs or draft gurus had him ranked in the 2ndcroubd...eg.Craig Button had hin37th...tge poster complaining above who had hom ranked 47...but the "consensus " view is usually the Bob Mckenzie rankings because it polls 10 actual scouts from 10 differentvNHL teams...Mckenzie ranked him 31st.

Thus no guarantee he lasts to #38..

Hawks identified their target and made sure they got him by moving up . .plusctgey wee goibgvto get a vet goskuexanyway (to handle the tank barrage ) so tge MRAZEK trade was i rgeccardsxeith tge Keafs anyway.. so itcalk worked outctgexwsy Hawjs wanted it.

Now you may quibble with the question of was Rinzel l So wagt otger feeatxsjatibg 6'4 Rifhtcsjotcdnan would you have taken there still left on the board ibstead?

Maybe a forward but overlaps not much if tgectarget was a great skating RD with size and so much potential..

Maybe Noah Warren ...but clearly Hawjsxakeays targeted Rinzell...

Now tgerexwas some giy on youtibe today giving his grades for round 1 picks ...He gave tge Hawks a C+on Korchinski who he had ranked 11th anyway but felt 7th was too high to take him there.. .he gave A+ on Nazar at #13 because he had him a t8th in his list and he loves all tgecthibgs Nazar brings ...but he gave Hawks a C- for Rinzel...calling him a boom bust pick because hecwas much lower on his list and must fix his defensive flaws which he identified as letting guys fly by him on the rush...now I have not seen any reports he ws that bad stopping the rush ..but if it that t cannot be improved then therre is 1 solution.. Rinzel is so good on attack with the puck that you simply move him to forward.....stopping the rush involves 2 aspects..

1.Phsysical engagement ...knock them off pucks beforectgey crossvintobtgecd-zone....perhaps because hecwas only in high school he has to add weight to his 6'4 frame to gain more confidence to throw his weight around and bounce guys off pucks.

2.Backwatds skating...If Rinzel is flawed in this aspect maybe it can be worked on and improved with skating coaches..?

So notcsurecifvhechas a stop the rush issue or not..butvifvhecdoes and if it cannot be fixed then as I said you still have a weapon with the size and speed and shot to make a top forward..

So itcrealkybis not a boy or bust situation...

If you said hecwas just athletic with soeed but had zero hockey sense ..THEN you may get a bust...but no scoutibgvreoirt has come to my attention that he has no hockey sense ...Uf tfatcwere true ;no matter how fast he sites forward on attack ,he Hawjsxwoukd be taking him mid to late rounds nitcad a first or even 2bd rounder.

Is he he a fibal ookishedvokayervin skk aspects.. no...of course not ..butnow he gets to okayca full USHK sesxon then will go the NCAA route a fewxsesxkbs. When hevis polished and ready to jump to the Blackhawks ons few years. .then hecwillbe the finished product abd hopefully that provides a very hogh ceiling type impact pksyer.

.Now in contrast to Rinzel just scratching the surface of his potential but with sone definite areasthatvneedct need improvement , you getc2 different views on SjhnexWright.

Somecsiuts felt that despite putting up 94 this season ;Wright disappointed.. especially goal scoring which was far less than expected. Andctgat he did not domininate games enough..His "off" season was excused though because he lost development time due to the OHL closing down in 2020/21 due to the Covid pandemic...

However tgatcshoukdcaffectcalk OHL first time draft eligibkes. And whike some clearly did not have performance to the level expected this season,for others it did not seem to affect their performance.

In any case the scouts excusing Wright due to Covid season canceled in draft year -1 were still excited by his ceiling goibgvforwardxandxdo still had hom goibg #1overall...butc other scouts clearly were disappointed by his(per expectation) lackluster performances this season abdxwere not surprised he fell to #4overall...

I saw 1 scout state he thought Wright may have calready and reached his ceiling abd peaked already... I think hexwas tge kobecranjer who putcWeightcakk tgexwsy down to #15.

In any case 3 teams bypassed Wright leaving him to Seattle at #4.

What does this have to do with Ribzell.?

Well clearly the Hawks think thevokayerxEibzell will be 4-5 years from now willbe far far superior to what he us now ...whereas if a draftee likecWrightvhas already peaked by his draft time,you may still get a very goid pkayer ...but what you see now is what you get

2 entirely different cases.

So rally we cannot make a proper judgement Now. Will need to wait till 3-5 years down the line..

The potential ceilingthough coukd be fabulous when it peaks.

So you cannt Yet saycwhetgervtgecHawjs get an A+or aC+ on drsftibg Rinzell ...let's see what goes.

My own voew is tgat I saw Wright and was nit impressed most games I saw him pay this season*I think I saw aboutc13 games he played and was mehborvinvhsibke in aboutc10 orc11 of these...

In contrast I seenedctovaleays conexawsy impressed by Paul Ludwinski 's performances...Maybex1 mehbirvbad hame ..butvtgecrest always hexwsx61st monevifvtge best if nktvthe nest Kingston pkayer i the game to my eyes..

My own conclusion isctgat Wright indeed seems to have peaked...Ludwinski to me has real upside and it will show as he gets a bigger role thus season.

This is why many first rounders do not becone big stars or completely bust ...because tfey have already peaked by their draft time

Other draftees taken later in round one or in later rounds keep on developing and improving performance and types become very goid NHL pros and sone even become stars by 3-5 years after they are drafted...it just took them longer to reach peak .

To sum up...Rinzel has raw potential given the skating;size Nd toolbox he has...Which isxwhyvtge Blackhawks bet he will develop into his ceiling in a few years time.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The Hawks obviously thought Rinzel would not last to #38....

For posters to say Rinzell would dis a stupid statement...you cannot have guaranteed it.. Hawks obviously targeted him and wanted to insure they got their target.

Yes sone ranking orgs or draft gurus had him ranked in the 2ndcroubd...eg.Craig Button had hin37th...tge poster complaining above who had hom ranked 47...but the "consensus " view is usually the Bob Mckenzie rankings because it polls 10 actual scouts from 10 differentvNHL teams...Mckenzie ranked him 31st.

Thus no guarantee he lasts to #38..

Hawks identified their target and made sure they got him by moving up . .plusctgey wee goibgvto get a vet goskuexanyway (to handle the tank barrage ) so tge MRAZEK trade was i rgeccardsxeith tge Keafs anyway.. so itcalk worked outctgexwsy Hawjs wanted it.

Now you may quibble with the question of was Rinzel l So wagt otger feeatxsjatibg 6'4 Rifhtcsjotcdnan would you have taken there still left on the board ibstead?

Maybe a forward but overlaps not much if tgectarget was a great skating RD with size and so much potential..

Maybe Noah Warren ...but clearly Hawjsxakeays targeted Rinzell...

Now tgerexwas some giy on youtibe today giving his grades for round 1 picks ...He gave tge Hawks a C+on Korchinski who he had ranked 11th anyway but felt 7th was too high to take him there.. .he gave A+ on Nazar at #13 because he had him a t8th in his list and he loves all tgecthibgs Nazar brings ...but he gave Hawks a C- for Rinzel...calling him a boom bust pick because hecwas much lower on his list and must fix his defensive flaws which he identified as letting guys fly by him on the rush...now I have not seen any reports he ws that bad stopping the rush ..but if it that t cannot be improved then therre is 1 solution.. Rinzel is so good on attack with the puck that you simply move him to forward.....stopping the rush involves 2 aspects..

1.Phsysical engagement ...knock them off pucks beforectgey crossvintobtgecd-zone....perhaps because hecwas only in high school he has to add weight to his 6'4 frame to gain more confidence to throw his weight around and bounce guys off pucks.

2.Backwatds skating...If Rinzel is flawed in this aspect maybe it can be worked on and improved with skating coaches..?

So notcsurecifvhechas a stop the rush issue or not..butvifvhecdoes and if it cannot be fixed then as I said you still have a weapon with the size and speed and shot to make a top forward..

So itcrealkybis not a boy or bust situation...

If you said hecwas just athletic with soeed but had zero hockey sense ..THEN you may get a bust...but no scoutibgvreoirt has come to my attention that he has no hockey sense ...Uf tfatcwere true ;no matter how fast he sites forward on attack ,he Hawjsxwoukd be taking him mid to late rounds nitcad a first or even 2bd rounder.

Is he he a fibal ookishedvokayervin skk aspects.. no...of course not ..butnow he gets to okayca full USHK sesxon then will go the NCAA route a fewxsesxkbs. When hevis polished and ready to jump to the Blackhawks ons few years. .then hecwillbe the finished product abd hopefully that provides a very hogh ceiling type impact pksyer.

.Now in contrast to Rinzel just scratching the surface of his potential but with sone definite areasthatvneedct need improvement , you getc2 different views on SjhnexWright.

Somecsiuts felt that despite putting up 94 this season ;Wright disappointed.. especially goal scoring which was far less than expected. Andctgat he did not domininate games enough..His "off" season was excused though because he lost development time due to the OHL closing down in 2020/21 due to the Covid pandemic...

However tgatcshoukdcaffectcalk OHL first time draft eligibkes. And whike some clearly did not have performance to the level expected this season,for others it did not seem to affect their performance.

In any case the scouts excusing Wright due to Covid season canceled in draft year -1 were still excited by his ceiling goibgvforwardxandxdo still had hom goibg #1overall...butc other scouts clearly were disappointed by his(per expectation) lackluster performances this season abdxwere not surprised he fell to #4overall...

I saw 1 scout state he thought Wright may have calready and reached his ceiling abd peaked already... I think hexwas tge kobecranjer who putcWeightcakk tgexwsy down to #15.

In any case 3 teams bypassed Wright leaving him to Seattle at #4.

What does this have to do with Ribzell.?

Well clearly the Hawks think thevokayerxEibzell will be 4-5 years from now willbe far far superior to what he us now ...whereas if a draftee likecWrightvhas already peaked by his draft time,you may still get a very goid pkayer ...but what you see now is what you get

2 entirely different cases.

So rally we cannot make a proper judgement Now. Will need to wait till 3-5 years down the line..

The potential ceilingthough coukd be fabulous when it peaks.

So you cannt Yet saycwhetgervtgecHawjs get an A+or aC+ on drsftibg Rinzell ...let's see what goes.

My own voew is tgat I saw Wright and was nit impressed most games I saw him pay this season*I think I saw aboutc13 games he played and was mehborvinvhsibke in aboutc10 orc11 of these...

In contrast I seenedctovaleays conexawsy impressed by Paul Ludwinski 's performances...Maybex1 mehbirvbad hame ..butvtgecrest always hexwsx61st monevifvtge best if nktvthe nest Kingston pkayer i the game to my eyes..

My own conclusion isctgat Wright indeed seems to have peaked...Ludwinski to me has real upside and it will show as he gets a bigger role thus season.

This is why many first rounders do not becone big stars or completely bust ...because tfey have already peaked by their draft time

Other draftees taken later in round one or in later rounds keep on developing and improving performance and types become very goid NHL pros and sone even become stars by 3-5 years after they are drafted...it just took them longer to reach peak .

To sum up...Rinzel has raw potential given the skating;size Nd toolbox he has...Which isxwhyvtge Blackhawks bet he will develop into his ceiling in a few years time.

WOW! I haven't read a fiddy post in a long time and I must say it was as entertaining as I remember them to be. Somewhere between of those incredible "fiddy words" may actually have been some good points that I agree with ... I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad