Prospect Info: Sam Rinzel D Chaska High School-Minnesota 25th overall

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He's been about as good as Adam Boqvist was when he debuted.

His stock is going down not because of him, but because his development is being mishandled.

Another year in Seattle where he'd have the opportunity to be the definitive #1 Dman in the entire WHL, and people here would be feverishly hyping up his arrival to Chicago.

I disagree with basically all of this. I watched every one of Boqvist's games with the Hawks, and while he probably showed a bit more flare offensively than KK has so far, he played nowhere near as well and in nowhere near as demanding a role as KK did this year. Interestingly, KK played the exact same number of games this season as Boqvist did in his entire 2 year run with the Hawks.

Again, he held his own in a very difficult circumstance this year. He had games where yes he looked like he was floundering a bit, but he also had games where he really looked confident and poised. As a young defenseman in the NHL you either sink or swim, I would say on the whole he swam, even if it wasn't always pretty.

I can understand, and even get on board with, the idea that he would have been better off in the AHL this year. I absolutely disagree that he would have been better off back in junior. His biggest hurtle at the NHL level was always going to be defending, especially bigger stronger players. Going back to junior was never going to help in that regard.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He's been about as good as Adam Boqvist was when he debuted.

His stock is going down not because of him, but because his development is being mishandled.

Another year in Seattle where he'd have the opportunity to be the definitive #1 Dman in the entire WHL, and people here would be feverishly hyping up his arrival to Chicago.
Really weird and wrong comp. KK is much better defensively.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Vlasic can be a #1, though perhaps more in the Chara mold (more mobile than Z and may surprise offensively). Don’t dismiss likely offensive progression. He has sneaky good tools.

Korchinski can be a #1, though he might require pairing with a more defensive-minded dman. He is young, and projects as a higher scoring dman. Needs some adult strength. Needs AHL time where he should play on the pk and play end of game holding a lead, which he won’t get on the Hawks.

Rinzel can be a #1, and his ceiling is a two way #1. He has a bit of nasty to his game already, and seems to be offensively motivated. 1-2 more years in college, and maybe some AHL time.

The rest of the guys seem to project to 4-6 types, Del Mastro leading the way.

Reactions: Muffinalt

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
D take time. Look at Forsling. Duncan Keith struggled his first couple years.

I lived in Tampa and watched Victor Hedmans first couple seasons up close, he was a complete f***ing disaster in his own zone and posted point totals of 20, 26 and 23 his first three years.

It’s a shame KK couldn’t have gone to Rockford, but overall his rookie year wasn’t bad at all.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I agree, although I've learned not to put any ceilings on Vlasic
Yeah, could make the argument that Vlasic has already played like a 2 at times this season.

Sort of like how Dylan Demelo is that low-event shot suppression guy who technically is deployed like a top pairing guy at 5v5 without producing like one (although he was actually productive this season, but u also could argue that Vlasic would probably be up around 25+ points on a good team)

If all goes right I think K'Andre Miller would be within the realm of possibility as a comp for Vlasic one day. Dunno if that's a techincally a number 1 guy though

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I disagree with basically all of this. I watched every one of Boqvist's games with the Hawks, and while he probably showed a bit more flare offensively than KK has so far, he played nowhere near as well and in nowhere near as demanding a role as KK did this year. Interestingly, KK played the exact same number of games this season as Boqvist did in his entire 2 year run with the Hawks.

Again, he held his own in a very difficult circumstance this year. He had games where yes he looked like he was floundering a bit, but he also had games where he really looked confident and poised. As a young defenseman in the NHL you either sink or swim, I would say on the whole he swam, even if it wasn't always pretty.

I can understand, and even get on board with, the idea that he would have been better off in the AHL this year. I absolutely disagree that he would have been better off back in junior. His biggest hurtle at the NHL level was always going to be defending, especially bigger stronger players. Going back to junior was never going to help in that regard.
Let's not forget Korchinski's father died this season. A 19 year old, playing in the best league in the world, with a fair amount of hype and through it all, he lost a parent. Given the circumstances, KK played as well as can be expected.

Another year in SEA likely stunt's his growth a bit. Korchinski now knows we he's got to work on in the off-season. Information he might not have gotten, if he stay in SEA and dominated.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, could make the argument that Vlasic has already played like a 2 at times this season.

Sort of like how Dylan Demelo is that low-event shot suppression guy who technically is deployed like a top pairing guy at 5v5 without producing like one (although he was actually productive this season, but u also could argue that Vlasic would probably be up around 25+ points on a good team)

If all goes right I think K'Andre Miller would be within the realm of possibility as a comp for Vlasic one day. Dunno if that's a techincally a number 1 guy though
I think Vlasic is already better than Miller

giza

Jul 19, 2011
KK had nothing left to learn in juniors....he was a dominant force....as long as this season didn't do a number on his psyche, he can learn all the lessons, get stronger and come next year better. I honestly think he should be given more opp to skate the puck in....seems like that was strangled a bit in that capacity.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think EDM's skating will limit him. The lack of short area quickness limits his defensive game. I like his offensive game and think he has a future in the NHL - just not in a top-4 role.
Yeah I'm not fully sold on him quite yet.

Bottom pairing, sure. Beyond that I think it's too early to tell.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
getting a true #1 is like hitting the lottery. All you can do is buy a bunch of tickets and hope for the best. We have a fistful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad