Player Discussion Sam Gagner

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's so awful that he's ruining the tank for us by scoring OT GWG's. How dare he...

Is that really the depth of your ability to analyze what's happening?

He has 2 ES goals in nearly half a season, while the team has been outscored 25-9 when he's on the ice.

Yup, a broken clock happened to be right last night, but he's been terrible so far. And for most of the last 5 years.

Reactions: timw33

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
They're both playing because we have several forwards injured. When we were mostly healthy, they weren't.

Virtanen has been a far more effective player this year than Sam Gagner at both ends of the rink but gets less icetime, zero PP time, and can't buy a shift in OT (despite having a game tailor-made for that format) while Gagner gets 15 minutes/game of creamy offensive minutes handed to him every night.

Two key young players being held back by this awful player isn't enough for you?

Virtanen has been playing most of the games and It was only matter of time before Goldobin was going to get a look.
I'm not as overwhelmed as you are by Virtanen's play, looks to me like he has to learn to play to his strengths and Green is teaching him how to do that. So far he's pretty inconsistent as he was for Utica last year. He'd make more progress if he started playing like the big boy that he is.
Say what you want about Gagner but the guy is a proven NHL player, something Virtanen has a ways to go yet before he reaches that level.
Did you like that ot goal?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Virtanen has been playing most of the games and It was only matter of time before Goldobin was going to get a look.
I'm not as overwhelmed as you are by Virtanen's play, looks to me like he has to learn to play to his strengths and Green is teaching him how to do that. So far he's pretty inconsistent as he was for Utica last year. He'd make more progress if he started playing like the big boy that he is.
Say what you want about Gagner but the guy is a proven NHL player, something Virtanen has a ways to go yet before he reaches that level.
Did you like that ot goal?

I...think JV's goal should maybe be just a little higher than "proven NHL player".

Simply being a proven NHL player doesn't mean much.

Chris Neil, Shawn Thornton, Brandon Prust, Yannick Weber, these are or were all "proven NHL players". Is this the bar JV should aim for?

So far this season all Gagner's proven to be is an inconsistent forward who turns into Swiss cheese at his own end.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Calling a 3-on-3 OT goal an "ES goal" is one of those things that is technically true but functionally useless.

That joke of a thing they play after regulation is no more real hockey than is the shootout.

I'm betting you don't say this if, say, Virtanen scores an OT GWG that's that pretty...
The haters won't admit it but Gagner is better than they want him to be.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'm betting you don't say this if, say, Virtanen scores an OT GWG that's that pretty...

Oh I absolutely would. I usually turn the game off after regulation. I could care less about the 3-on-3 or the shootout.

These games are ties to me.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Oh I absolutely would. I usually turn the game off after regulation. I could care less about the 3-on-3 or the shootout.

These games are ties to me.

Actually I'm with you on this, I hate the 3 on 3 OT. Too much like shinny to me. Also I'm old and remember ties as being not so bad. Nu?

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Actually I'm with you on this, I hate the 3 on 3 OT. Too much like shinny to me. Also I'm old and remember ties as being not so bad. Nu?

Yeah, they are shinny. It means little to me if players can score in those kind of pond hockey scrimmages.

And yeah, I'm old and never had an issue with ties.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Yeah, they are shinny. It means little to me if players can score in those kind of pond hockey scrimmages.

And yeah, I'm old and never had an issue with ties.

And here I thought you were one of the kids.

OT adds some excitement though, beats playing to preserve the tie.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
One of Vanek or Gagner would have been okay, both seems redundant. They serve the same purpose. I do not like Gagner's term, two years max would have been fine.

I'd take Vanek anyday over the week and twice on Sundays. When Vanek is on, he's exciting to watch. Liked few of his dangles yesterday and he's the more productive player. I'm happy with Vanek especially when hes cheap caphit and term wise.

Gagner doesn't even serve any purpose other than being generally useless and taking away Goldobin's spot.

Reactions: Hit the post

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I'd take Vanek anyday over the week and twice on Sundays. When Vanek is on, he's exciting to watch. Liked few of his dangles yesterday and he's the more productive player. I'm happy with Vanek especially when hes cheap caphit and term wise.

Gagner doesn't even serve any purpose other than being generally useless and taking away Goldobin's spot.
Agree. Even more so when you consider Vanek only has a one year deal vs Gagner's three year deal.

Reactions: Sayonara77

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Another two years at 3.1 after this year. Absolutely brutal signing that costs the team cap, wins and lotsa money.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

34 games

+/- telling the truth for once. Hard to imagine how he'd fail harder.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
value/cost, is gagner the worst benning signing? dorsett, sutter, eriksson, they all at least did/do something. even sbisa...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad