Player Discussion Sam Gagner

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How about you save me some guessing and just tell me the relevance of whatever I said about Roy to what I am saying about Gagner? Cause I really don’t have the energy to dig through the archives to figure it out.

Huh? Thought I was pretty clear and You don't remember what your own opinion/arguments were when you posted lengthy arguments arguing that Derek Roy was an effective NHL player and should be signed? At the time I argued something along the lines of it's reasonable for teams to go with younger options over signing a 32/33 year old undersized C who put up the numbers he did the previous two seasons. So my opinion would be that Gagner's NHL future past age 32 would not be a long one unless he continues to put up solid 2nd line numbers.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
We all remember the sophisticated evaluations of guys like Bonino and Sbisa.

How sophisticated does an evaluation need to be? His evaluation of the two players when he went out and acquired them were actually pretty accurate. Obviously they didn't play to expectations here, but Sbisa did play a heavy game and Bonino was a distributor (although he was more of a goal scorer here)

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Geez I don't know maybe an evaluation that includes the phrase "ya I get that but are they actually good at the hockey?"

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
How sophisticated does an evaluation need to be? His evaluation of the two players when he went out and acquired them were actually pretty accurate. Obviously they didn't play to expectations here, but Sbisa did play a heavy game and Bonino was a distributor (although he was more of a goal scorer here)
I was referring to quotes like how Bonino scored 20 goals for Anaheim, and 20 goals would help our team.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Huh? Thought I was pretty clear and You don't remember what your own opinion/arguments were when you posted lengthy arguments arguing that Derek Roy was an effective NHL player and should be signed? At the time I argued something along the lines of it's reasonable for teams to go with younger options over signing a 32/33 year old undersized C who put up the numbers he did the previous two seasons. So my opinion would be that Gagner's NHL future past age 32 would not be a long one unless he continues to put up solid 2nd line numbers.

Honesty I’m surprised that I ever argued strenuously for re-signing Derek Roy. I’ll take your word on it cause I don’t have the time to dig back 6 years to check but it’s possible you are mistaking me with someone else. I just don’t recall caring that much at the time.

Anyway there’s a much simpler way of saying that Gagner is garbage, namely by just saying so.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
wait until Archibald is healed up with Utica. Give him an NHL contract once hes good to go, and waive Gagner. Archibald will bring size and grit and will actually bring an element to this team which is sorely lacking: pushback.

Also. Eriksson is getting paid 6 million dollars to put up 25-30 points a season for the next 5 years? goodness

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
should we buy him out?

As much as i think he is a waste of a roster spot and cap space, i dont think buying him out makes a whole lot of sense. It would leave a cap hit ranging from $767k to $1.117m over the next 4 season and thos e1.1m in both of the last two years. By then we may have more use for the cap space than now. I d rather have them swallow the big cap hit till 2020 (worst case send him to the minor to get the 950k cap relief) and be completely free of it after that. This team is going nowhere anytime soon anyway.

Reactions: MajinBo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honesty I’m surprised that I ever argued strenuously for re-signing Derek Roy. I’ll take your word on it cause I don’t have the time to dig back 6 years to check but it’s possible you are mistaking me with someone else. I just don’t recall caring that much at the time.

Anyway there’s a much simpler way of saying that Gagner is garbage, namely by just saying so.

My apologies. That was probably poster vanuck and not you. Somehow I thought it was you. It's been a while. Sorry about that.

Gagner is signed for 3 seasons so I am hoping for the best. So far, he has not proved to be a good fit, which makes me really worried. Maybe Gagners just have their games fall off the map as soon as they get there. I will look at Sam fondly if he ends up helping us get a Tanev type player sometime in his future though.

Anyhow, what I was disagreeing with is the idea that Gagner wasn't an NHL player and no NHL team would have signed him. Whether anyone is an NHL player at this moment depends on their recent play in reality. But historically, Gagner has been an NHL player. Whether he still is at the end of the contract really isn't really my concern. If you ask me, my opinion is that undersized players over 32 who are considered suspect defensively and haven't been producing good 2nd line numbers tend to go be on year to year contracts and can exit the league quickly. He did clear waivers like two seasons ago.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My apologies. That was probably poster vanuck and not you. Somehow I thought it was you. It's been a while. Sorry about that.

Gagner is signed for 3 seasons so I am hoping for the best. So far, he has not proved to be a good fit, which makes me really worried. Maybe Gagners just have their games fall off the map as soon as they get there. I will look at Sam fondly if he ends up helping us get a Tanev type player sometime in his future though.

Anyhow, what I was disagreeing with is the idea that Gagner wasn't an NHL player and no NHL team would have signed him. Whether anyone is an NHL player at this moment depends on their recent play in reality. But historically, Gagner has been an NHL player. Whether he still is at the end of the contract really isn't really my concern. If you ask me, my opinion is that undersized players over 32 who are considered suspect defensively and haven't been producing good 2nd line numbers tend to go be on year to year contracts and can exit the league quickly. He did clear waivers like two seasons ago.

Gagner has basically been an AHL player for the last 4+ seasons aside from a 35-game blip at the start of last year.

Honestly, I thought he was going to be headed to Europe in the summer of 2016 after his performance in Philly. Was surprised he got another NHL contract at that point.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
How would you guys feel about flipping him to San Jose for Mikkel Boedker (25% retained)? Boedker has been pretty bad in San Jose, but at least he'd provide some speed. They're both signed for 2 more years, and his cap hit would be similar to Gagner's with 25% retained by the Sharks.

It obviously wouldn't happen since Benning just signed him, but just throwing this out there.

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
How would you guys feel about flipping him to San Jose for Mikkel Boedker (25% retained)? Boedker has been pretty bad in San Jose, but at least he'd provide some speed. They're both signed for 2 more years, and his cap hit would be similar to Gagner's with 25% retained by the Sharks.

It obviously wouldn't happen since Benning just signed him, but just throwing this out there.
I would do it in a heartbeat but I don't think the sharks would ever go for that.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

Is Boedker close to as bad as Gagner though?

Those guys don't grow on trees.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Great goal last night, hopefully gives the poor guy some confidence! In a bit of an impossible situation being called a garbage signing whether he scores or doesn't score. Still don't see what "young players" he's blocking other than Megna.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Great goal last night, hopefully gives the poor guy some confidence! In a bit of an impossible situation being called a garbage signing whether he scores or doesn't score. Still don't see what "young players" he's blocking other than Megna.

I've asked that question myself, you know, which young players are being blocked from playing? I don't see it.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
I've asked that question myself, you know, which young players are being blocked from playing? I don't see it.
Me neither.

Maybe the argument is now "if you gave Gaunce those OT minutes, he would have scored that OT goal!"

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Seriously?

Goldobin has spent most of the year in the AHL or as a healthy scratch.

Virtanen gets zero minutes in offensive situations and was a healthy scratch when everyone was healthy.

That these guys are having offensive/developmental minutes burgled by the likes of Gagner and Vanek is pretty much the most obvious thing in the world.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
One of Vanek or Gagner would have been okay, both seems redundant. They serve the same purpose. I do not like Gagner's term, two years max would have been fine.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Seriously?

Virtanen gets zero minutes in offensive situations and was a healthy scratch when everyone was healthy.

That these guys are having offensive/developmental minutes burgled by the likes of Gagner and Vanek is pretty much the most obvious thing in the world.
Unsurprisingly, some blatant falsehoods in this post, couched in the usual rhetoric.

Goldobin, who I am a big fan of, didn't deserve to make the team. Watching him now, it's clear that starting in the AHL was hardly a roadblock for his development, but likely helped it. He's been a healthy scratch once. As usual, a reader could drown in your post's hyperboles.

Virtanen, meanwhile, has still played most of the season with the Sedins as linemates, and starts over 50 percent of the time in the offensive zone, laughably far off from getting "zero minutes in offensive situations."

Reactions: Nomobo

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Seriously?

They're both playing and no, they shouldn't be handed top minutes until they can show the coach that they're playing the game he wants them to play. Part of developing a team player.
Anyone else being held back?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Seriously?

On top of this being obviously true, he is also here for two more seasons unless we buy him out which seems likely at this point.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They're both playing and no, they shouldn't be handed top minutes until they can show the coach that they're playing the game he wants them to play. Part of developing a team player.
Anyone else being held back?

They're both playing because we have several forwards injured. When we were mostly healthy, they weren't.

Virtanen has been a far more effective player this year than Sam Gagner at both ends of the rink but gets less icetime, zero PP time, and can't buy a shift in OT (despite having a game tailor-made for that format) while Gagner gets 15 minutes/game of creamy offensive minutes handed to him every night.

Two key young players being held back by this awful player isn't enough for you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad